It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: No Interviews Rule
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:19 pm 

I would like to know why PJ Harvey has a NO INTERVIEWS RULE at the moment. It was just something I was thinking about. I wish anyone on here could help me. I would appreciate it.

Post subject: Re: No Interviews Rule
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:50 pm 

My suspicion is that it's related to the circumstances of the composition of Hope 6 - that she feels to talk about it in any depth would betray the confidences that went into the making of it. Having said that, it fits happily with the boredom and irritation she normally seems to feel with the process of being interviewed, so who knows whether the 'rule' will change next time round?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:59 pm 

My theory is that she introduced the rule when changing managment in 2013 (after years and years of being miserable while being interviewed) and the trade-off was her being more active on social media -- hence the Instagram account and the Spotify playlists.

TBH I can't imagine her going back to doing traditional press tours and answering questions from NME interns -- but I'd love a good hour-long radio interview, for instance.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:34 am 

We can only guess of course, but I also think it's been part of the negotiations with the new management. I suppose it's also got to the with the long world tour. I can imagine she only agreed to do that if she didn't have to spend her free hours doing draining interviews and tv shows.

I totally understand that 90% of these interviews are annoying and a waste of time, but I admit I also miss some more background info on the last album and tour. I'd love to hear more details about her travels and the idea behind the stage setup etc. Now we can only guess. I had set my hopes on the documentary by Seamus Murphy, but that project seems to take forever and I don't think it will see the light of day anymore.

But hey, I don't want to whine about it. She's still going strong after 25 years. And she's at her best when she does things her own way.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:48 am 

I agree with everyone on here. The only interview she did two years ago was with Andrew Marr on his BBC show before she played her song 'The Community Of Hope' at the end of his show.

In some ways, I don't blame her for not wanting being interviewed because all she really cares about is her artistry.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:05 pm 

One of the striking things is that just every now and again, with gaps of years in between, PJH will give an interview that includes something personally revealing, as well as material that casts light on the production of the music. Perhaps it's when she has a feeling of connection with the interviewer, or when she's particularly happy or relaxed. But yes, given the process that went into making Hope 6, from a fan's point of view it's exceptionally frustrating this time round!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:15 pm 

blackngreen19 wrote:
I had set my hopes on the documentary by Seamus Murphy, but that project seems to take forever and I don't think it will see the light of day anymore.

It's still listed on Internet Movie Database as "in development", let's hope it's just a matter of time

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8299778/?ref_=nm_knf_t1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:35 pm 

For an artist who has been around for twenty-six years. PJ does not have to be interviewed if she does not want to be interviewed.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:56 pm 

bruise wrote:
blackngreen19 wrote:
I had set my hopes on the documentary by Seamus Murphy, but that project seems to take forever and I don't think it will see the light of day anymore.

It's still listed on Internet Movie Database as "in development", let's hope it's just a matter of time

it will be premiered at the berlin film festival

https://deadline.com/2018/12/berlin-pan ... 202522004/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:23 pm 

Romario11 wrote:
bruise wrote:
blackngreen19 wrote:

it will be premiered at the berlin film festival

https://deadline.com/2018/12/berlin-pan ... 202522004/

I noticed and it made me jump with joy! Finally! I hope we won't have to wait too long for a release to the general public