It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:58 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:40 am 

bruise wrote:
To me it always sounded as her own voice with an octave lower effect.

If that really was the case, then why would they feel the need to put some bogus name in the credits?

Nonetheless, in your file that's really does sound like her.

But maybe that's what she was going for, you know - to make it SOUND like Cave. I mean, lyrics are about a man abandoning a woman ("Thinking of her face I left, the way she looked as I left her there"; "The thrill is gone after all these years, our love gets thrown away"). And there's also another interesting detail in the lyrics: male vocals say "Because of fire was in my hair", but at the end Polly Jean sings "He went out to the deep Northwood, left a fire rage in my hair" - so it's like a story of their break-up from two different points of view.

The whole thing with the "fire in the hair" could be somehow related to these Cave's lyrics from the song "Black Hair":

"Full of all my whispered words, her black hair
And wet with tears and good-byes, her hair of deepest black
All my tears cried against her milk-white throat
Hidden behind the curtain of her beautiful, beautiful black hair".

Some time ago I read on YouTube what it's kinda sounds like Cave, but I didn't really heard that reminiscent until recently. At first I thought what maybe she found someone with a similar voice for this song, but hell, maybe she did it all by herself after all. At the end of the day, that's just was my theory. )))

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:12 am 

bruise, even if that's truth, which is now seems very likely to me, I'm still amazed by how did you came up with this idea in the first place - I mean, that voice seems like a COMPLETELY different person to me, I would never even bother to compare this voice (in technical aspects) with Polly's. You must have a perfect pitch or something! )))

Thank you, anyway!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:06 pm 

I hear to voices, one is polly, the other is a male
listening The Northwood

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:47 am 

The opening lines are a slight adaptation of the opening lines of Yeats' 'The Song of Wandering Aengus' - I went out to the hazel wood/because a fire was in my head'.... and so i've always thought it was 'head', not 'hair'

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:11 am 

LAT wrote:
...so i've always thought it was 'head', not 'hair'

It does sound as "in my head" at the VERY end.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:05 pm 

Does anybody have any information about when the song "Angel" (b-side to "You Come Through") was written? It strikes me as very "Dry"-ish, but the record itself sounds a bit more advanced than "Dry" demos. Plus, just a quick request - does the manner of Polly Jean's vocals on it remind someone else in here Billy Corgan of "Smashing Pumpkins", or is it just me?

And also a similar question about "Dance" ("Shame" vinyl b-side) - that's obviously Polly's home demo, but when it was recorded?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:56 am 

Kuk91 wrote:
Does anybody have any information about when the song "Angel" (b-side to "You Come Through") was written? It strikes me as very "Dry"-ish, but the record itself sounds a bit more advanced than "Dry" demos. Plus, just a quick request - does the manner of Polly Jean's vocals on it remind someone else in here Billy Corgan of "Smashing Pumpkins", or is it just me?

And also a similar question about "Dance" ("Shame" vinyl b-side) - that's obviously Polly's home demo, but when it was recorded?

Here's Polly's BMI list, sorted numerically:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31#p19192

Angel has a very low number so it's almost certainly among her earliest songs. Below that post is Polly's Ascap list, also sorted numerically.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:08 am 

As of the title topic of this thread, about "Instrumental #2"...

Teclo25 wrote:
The buried track has always sounded like "Send His Love to Me". The percussion sounds the same.

I had the same opinion, but NOW THAT'S A FACT. My brother knows how to work with the sound, he helped me out, so here's the proof: http://rghost.ru/6NjBL26kx (you can listen to it online or download). You should really put some effort to hear words "Send me please his kisses, send him home today", but "I'm begging, Jesus, please" part is sounds more distinctly, as well as the recognizeable beat of the song. I can't really tell if that's an album take or not, maybe that's a demo, or maybe just multitrack bass-vocals-percussion core of the song.

Also, now I'm pretty sure what all 3 of these instrumentals, published in 1998-1999, were recorded during "To Bring You My Love" sessions, or a little bit later (along with "Naked Cousin" studio version?): A) In 2007 Polly said that she wrote "Nina in Ecstasy" in 1995, and "Instrumental #1" is a rendition of this song with drum-machine; B) western-like guitar on "Instrumental #2" is reminding of the guitars on "Teclo" or "I Think I'm a Mother"; C) "Instrumental #3" sounds like an ominous "relative" of "Somebody's Down, Somebody's Name" to me.

"Instrumental #1" (?) [from "A Bunny Girl's Tale"]: http://rghost.ru/6MVz7DrPZ.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:00 pm 

cool

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:51 pm 

Kuk91 wrote:
As of the title topic of this thread, about "Instrumental #2"...

Teclo25 wrote:
The buried track has always sounded like "Send His Love to Me". The percussion sounds the same.

I had the same opinion, but NOW THAT'S A FACT. My brother knows how to work with the sound, he helped me out, so here's the proof: http://rghost.ru/6NjBL26kx (you can listen to it online or download). You should really put some effort to hear words "Send me please his kisses, send him home today", but "I'm begging, Jesus, please" part is sounds more distinctly, as well as the recognizeable beat of the song. I can't really tell if that's an album take or not, maybe that's a demo, or maybe just multitrack bass-vocals-percussion core of the song.

Thank you very much for this.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:55 am 

"Instrumental #1" (?) [from "A Bunny Girl's Tale"]: http://rghost.ru/6MVz7DrPZ.[/quote]

Having a devil of a time tracking down Instrumental #1, the link above has died, any chance of reuploading, or if someone can point me in the right direction, I tried a find through the archives with no luck -- help a brother out?

THANKS!