It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Rid of me album tabs.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:02 am 

Hi, I'm new to the forum! I'm a bit of a beginner guitarist and love to play polly's songs. I've struggled to find good tabs and have been left to my own devises as far as playing most of her songs but have three songs from rid of me down and thought I would post the info here for other musicians wanting to cover PJ Harvey.
Rid Of Me:
to play any of the songs on this album you need a basic understanding of rythym (it really isn't as easy as it seems, it gets really complicated)
Rid of me -the song- has a very complicated rythym. I've only found one type of guitar tab on it, and i disagree with the rythym they posted. The only two chords you essentially need are A and F. To get the full affect, you should bar chord them. To describe it, I'm just gonna use dats for the emphasized notes and doo's for the ones that are played regularly. it's like dat dat dooo doo dat dat doo doo doo doo doo doo dat doo. That's not completely accurate, but you need to really listen very closely.

Yuri-G.
My music teacher and I were going over this song and he told me she uses a cuban clave rythym. For an examply listen to down by the water (its that little stick rythym she does.) it baisically goes *1 and 2 *and 3 and *4 and ect. This seems like it was her all time favorite rythym back them because you can hear it in most of her songs. The chords she uses are bar chords at the 7th 5th 10th and 4th frets.

These are the songs that I can play that the tabs you find on the internet don't explain well enough, I'll work on more eventually.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:36 am 
Site Admin

Greetings!

I know there are people here that have tabs for many of Polly's songs, but things are pretty slow here right now. They'll be along eventually. We moved here a little less than a year ago, and I'm afraid some things, like the old tab thread, were lost at our last location.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:38 am 

These are some of the better tabs I can find, but they only explain chords and melody and don't really go into rhythm.

Most of the chords on this site are right:
http://www.e-chords.com/pj-harvey

However, a few are wrong, such as Good Fortune, but a fairly accurate version can be found here:
http://www.azchords.com/p/pjharvey-tabs ... 93377.html

As for the song, Yuri-G, this tab is mostly right:
http://www.azchords.com/p/pjharvey-tabs ... 93418.html

However, when it says to play the F#5 chord with an E note on the 7th fret, I just play the open E string instead. I don't even know why that guy wrote it the way he did.

Also, when she plays the D5 chord, just like you said, it's on the 10th fret, and I even think she hits a C on the 4th string, 10th fret, making it sort of a D7 chord. I don't know if she does it by accident or not.

I hope that wasn't confusing, I'm not the best at explaining things sometimes.

Oh, and I just figured out how to play Angelene, and possibly Perfect Day Elise.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:45 pm 

Yeah, It's really hard to find good online tabs. I don't have the patience to search Google for hours to find some obscure website when I could be experimenting with my guitar to find the way to play the song. The versions of Yuri-G that you find (more like one version because people only copy and paste the same version which is very annoying) goes by the 4 Track Demos version, which is probably what your getting in your search.
P.S. Can anyone give me some tips with 50ft Queenie and maybe some tabs for me jane? I' having trouble with the D-tuning on the 6th sting.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:32 pm 

I played guitar for a month then gave up when school started. I'm gonna give it another go soon and I'd love to practice on what you guys posted.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:01 pm 

Whenever I want to play Peej, this is the site I use:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/pj_harvey_tabs.htm

Most of them are good. Some of them are not.

Rid of Me is a very easy album to play. That low E string is used for almost everything.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:58 pm 

By the way, does anyone know the chords to snake? I can't find a tab.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:23 pm 

persongirl wrote:
Can anyone give me some tips with 50ft Queenie and maybe some tabs for me jane? I' having trouble with the D-tuning on the 6th sting.

I know I’m bumping an extremely old thread, and maybe further input and clarification is no longer needed, but the tabs online for this album are still quite inaccurate, as are the YouTube play-alongs & tutorials.

Me Jane is in standard, so there’s no low D on the lowest string, but maybe you were talking about 50FQ.

All this to say, I’m going to be posting several YouTube tutorials soon. I have a good grasp of Polly’s style from listening obsessively to her albums (at least up through Uh Huh Her), watching her live performances, knowing what tuning each song is in, and from playing guitar for 20 years. So I’m really looking forward to putting out more accurate (if not 100% accurate) tutorials, because I think it’s downright shameful how many mistakes there are out there. I’m floored whenever I see someone using the wrong chords for Man-Size, for instance (and everyone does. Literally everyone)

I’m especially eager to put out some information (in the form of videos) about songs from 4-Track Demos which have scarcely been attempted, like Driving and Easy, and Hardly Wait (which has an inaccurate play-along video on YT).