It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Just a little help.
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:11 pm 

can someone show me the exact chords to "plants and rags" & "horses in my dreams". I'm not good at reading tabs so i need a good visual aid. Thank You.

Post subject: Re: Just a little help.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:13 pm 

Horses in my dreams was played with a different tune, I think. It's either the D-drop in the sixth chord that she used in 50ft Queenie and songs with patterns alike (I think I'm a mother and such, you get what I mean) or a slightly different tuning (Is the tuning in "The life and death of..." the same as in "50ft..."?. Anyway, I'll try to explain it the best I can: she uses one finger for each chord, as Phoebe from "Friends" did when the series started (and that's the point of the D-drop thing) and usually the same chords over and over again so Horses in my dreams would be something like

3rd fret / 0 fret (play without pressing the strings with your finger) / 3rd fret / 0 fret / 3rd fret / 5th fret twice.

Plants and rags goes something like G# F# B for the verses and E F# D for the choruses except in the last one of each part, which goes E F# C#

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:49 am 

Thank you, it was much more simple than I was making it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:04 pm 

Here are my notes for the chorus:
3 times A(C#) Am(C) F# A
1 time A(C#) Am(C) F# B(Eb)

A(C#) means chord A with C# at the bass: C# E A C# E
Am(C) = C E A C E
B(Eb) = Eb F# B D#

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:58 pm 

sonfo wrote:
Plants and rags goes something like G# F# B for the verses and E F# D for the choruses except in the last one of each part, which goes E F# C#

Plants and Rags is indeed G#(major 4665xx), F#major (2443xx) and open B (x2440x), with a lift-off and hammer-on the A string, so the notes on the A string go B B A B B. Your chorus chords are not correct; I’ll respond again shortly when I’ve had a chance to pick up the guitar and play it again.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:51 am 

The “chorus” chords (the section with crazy strings and no lyrics) goes:

X42xx(0)x (or x4200x) — I’m uncertain about the G and B strings being muted
x32xx(0)x (or x3200x) — same uncertainty as above
244xxx (F#5)
55775x (Dsus2/A)

That series of chords 3 times, then:

Play the first 3 chords of the series but instead of Dsus2/A, it ends on:

44666x (C#maj/G#)

I hope you understand those notations because it’s important to use those exact fingerings, especially the first chords of the “chorus”.

The final chord of the song is x24400 (with the high e string ringing out).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:33 pm 

The B string at 0 misses in my chords, the violin play it in the acoustic version (I try to play what I hear, not only the guitar):
x42200 = A2(C#)
x32200 = Am2(C)

OK for Dsus2/A and C#maj/G#
maybe instead of the 3rd C#maj/G#: 45444x

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:08 pm 

GoFo wrote:
The B string at 0 misses in my chords, the violin play it in the acoustic version (I try to play what I hear, not only the guitar):
x42200 = A2(C#)
x32200 = Am2(C)

OK for Dsus2/A and C#maj/G#
maybe instead of the 3rd C#maj/G#: 45444x

No, that’s not what Polly plays. There’s a live video on YouTube from 2004 where you can see the fingering. She definitely doesn’t fret the G string on the first two “chorus” chords—she frets the A string with her 3rd finger at the 4th fret and her 1st finger on the D string at the 2nd fret, and she isn’t barring the D and G strings at the 2nd fret as she would have to be doing to maintain her fingers in that position and play x42200 as you have notated. Plus, the ‘A’ note (G string, 2nd fret) just isn’t heard.

For the second chord, she switches from her 3rd finger on the 4th fret, A string, to using her 2nd finger on the A string at the 3rd fret—making sort of a truncated C major chord. Again, there is no A note heard from the G string, 2nd fret in that chord. She’s muting the G string on Chord 1 and Chord 2 and letting the B string ring out on both. The high e string is muted as well.

As for “3rd C#maj/G#: 45444x”, I have no idea how you’re getting that. Perhaps it was a typo? It’s a regular C#major chord, either with the low E string muted, or with the low E string fretted at the 4th fret, making it a C#major chord with an added G# bass note.