It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: On Sale
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

I have no recollection of this, but I still don't know much about it. Who is the interviewer? What does she say? I considered buying it for about 10 seconds, $25+ is too much.

The disk will have one or more files on it, probably just one. It will be in AIFF format, just drag and drop to your computer. No need to convert it to mp3, zipping the file will reduce the file size considerably. If the file is very large there might be problems, but somehow I doubt that a PJ interview could be more than a half hour.

But if you can tell us more about it, maybe we already have it?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:38 pm 

I won't look at the disc until tomorrow (in the daylight) but if I remember correctly this interview CD comes with the questions (by Maria Mochnasz) printed on the sleeve and Polly's answers recorded on the disc. (just like the other interview CDs that came later.)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:23 pm 

I've found this CD now, it's exactly as I remembered it, questions (numbering ten in all) printed on the inside of the sleeve (along with part of the answers), the disc containing ten separate tracks (one for each question).

the title of this CD is “PJ Harvey - Interview”, there is no date printed anywhere, but it's an official release by ISLAND, with the statement “For promotional use only - not for sale”.

I copied the files from the disc onto my hard-drive, then was going to upload them to mediafire when I suddenly became aware that the files failed to copy properly from the disc, all that resulted on my hard-drive was a series of files measuring 4 KB each. obviously they've been copy-protected to some degree (since my simple copy&paste maneuver didn't work).

now I shall make new attempts at copying these files, but first let me know what alternative maneuvers you would suggest (in case my next move would work either).

another question:
would the fact that this is an official release pose a problem? considering the policy of not posting any officially released recordings on this website. however, this being a promotional item which was never put on sale, one could argue that there never was any revenue made from distributing this CD (except indirectly by stimulating an interest in PJ's music) and therefore it wouldn't be financially harmful to Island if anybody copied this particular item.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:46 pm 

you have to copy this files through some music player (like Windows Media Player for example - "Copy From CD" or something like that), all CDs have this protection.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:07 pm 

now perhaps this should be moved to the Amusement Park forum. (I should have posted there instead; could still do it, but in case the administrators would prefer to move it...)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

Pollyphoniac wrote:
now perhaps this should be moved to the Amusement Park forum. (I should have posted there instead; could still do it, but in case the administrators would prefer to move it...)

I moved the post with the link and the sleeve descriptions you kindly provided to a new thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=291

Pollyphoniac wrote:
another question:
would the fact that this is an official release pose a problem? considering the policy of not posting any officially released recordings on this website. however, this being a promotional item which was never put on sale, one could argue that there never was any revenue made from distributing this CD (except indirectly by stimulating an interest in PJ's music) and therefore it wouldn't be financially harmful to Island if anybody copied this particular item.

Our policy is a little more nuanced than just "officially released", especially because the idea of copyrights is a lot cloudier these days than it used to be. I might try to word in a more detailed way in the User Guide as it has caused some confusion. As I explained in this post, we don't forbid sharing of material based strictly on copyrights.

Personally, I do not think this is a case of harming Island or the artist so I'm fine with it being shared. If anyone has any objections we'll be happy to hear them.

Find us at
Twitter
MySpace
Facebook