It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: PJ Pic of the Day #5
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:49 am 

mart wrote:
cat on the wall wrote:
olivier101 & mart, sorry you feel that way I didn't mean to offend anyone by posting it.....

haha, no worries Cat, i just don't like the bloke but i wouldn't be offended by it :smile:

i quite like Oliviers suggestions of a dedicated thread for the whole Cave stuff - in the General area though - just so i could easily ignore it :wink:

Hi ok I wasn't actually aware that people felt this way RE Nick Cave.
I don't see any harm in it, seems like a good idea so I'll give it a shot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:00 am 

olivier101 wrote:
cat on the wall wrote:
olivier101 & mart, sorry you feel that way I didn't mean to offend anyone by posting it, I just figured since it does have PJ it's going to be fine with everyone.

Oh don't worry I didn't feel the least offended, why would I?
As a picture featuring PJ it has its place here! And I love the left part of the picture ;)
It's just that after you posted the pic, there were only ecstatic posts so I felt I had to restore the balance :green: I didn't mean to start an argument... maybe we should open a dedicated thread for the whole Cave stuff instead of hijacking this one...

Cool :) !

I respect everyone's room for their opinion & of course to express such. I was just getting worried that because I posted the pic with her & Nick it got some great responses, then the people who felt as such were suddenly kinda caught in having to defend liking it. It just left me feeling kinda bad as I'd been the one to post it so felt responsible.

I love the idea of another thread & I'll give it a try for sure. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:25 am 

Polly_Jean_Cave wrote:
cat on the wall wrote:
olivier101 & mart, sorry you feel that way I didn't mean to offend anyone by posting it, I just figured since it does have PJ it's going to be fine with everyone. Honestly don't know much about Nick but I do LOVE "From Her To Eternity". It does seem that at one time he made PJ happy. I respect everyone's opinion as they've a right to have one. Just wanted to clarify my intentions weren't negative.

Polly Jean Cave you seem like a big nick fan & that's great! I'm genuinely happy you like the photo that much. :) I've only really heard FHTE & Black Hair by him. I've been meaning to hear more, any suggestions for what I should hear first?

& dry I'm sorry I didn't see it on the blog first found it via a search.

Well, since you love "From Her To Eternity" so much, I guess I'll suggest some of the earlier records that are in similar vein. Maybe "The Firstborn is dead" which is the follow up, "Your funeral my trial" was the next "(excluding kicking against the pricks because that was just a cover record)

I think a real bad seeds glory moment came in the form of "Tender Prey" - those, particularly the famous "Mercy Seat" covered by Johnny Cash and "Up jumped the devil" (really waits-ish as is the whole record) are some of the finest songs Cave has ever written. The album is pretty intense though, probably the most violent (by mosts standards. "Violent" is apparently the new word for "Dark Humour" i'm guessing) of that series of records.

Then maybe "Henry's Dream" which is again full of brilliant songs, many thought it was over produced. I had no qualms though. "Let Love In" is another strong one - that record is extremely varied sonically/ stylistically, it jumps from genre to genre and quite abruptly at that too. "Murder Ballads" (the commercial album) again, a miniture earthquake of dark humour, irony, melodrama, sound, sarcasm, and just plain greatness. Highlights include: "Curse of Millhaven" the most feral, wittiest track you're ever guaranteed to hear about murder, "Stagger Lee" - only he could pull off saying :yeah: :banana: "Mother Fucker" like 50 times in a song and it sound just as brutal as the last and in no way repetitive or pretentious" got a great beat too. Kind of funk tinged (reminds me of his and Polly's relationship for some reason). O'Malley's bar - which may just be his greatest delivery on that record. And of course his duet with Polly on "Henry Lee" BTW....Keep the Cave pics coming, those two are like two peas in a pod. I and plenty of other people here are massive fans and anticipate on seeing plenty more :grin:

Yes usually the darker the better with me. :)

Quote:
I guess I'll suggest some of the earlier records that are in similar vein

So his earliest albums are the "darkest"? if you know what I mean uh....like depressing! Yes I LOVE depressing music I find it profound & touching & relate to it much easier. :green:

Quote:
dark humour, irony, melodrama, sound, sarcasm, and just plain greatness.

I agree he does have these, & that's very hard to find anymore. Hey I created a thread just for fans of "PJ & Nick" so we aren't to off topic what say we continue over there. I'm going to be adding more Nick & PJ stuff as I can find it.

http://www.thegardenforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=839

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:27 am 

sau wrote:
February cover of Modzik magazine.
Found on the official site. Heavenly...

beautiful.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:26 am 

sau wrote:

Beautiful cover¡¡¡I love¡¡ :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:28 pm 

megique wrote:
sau wrote:

beautiful.

Oh that is absolutely gorgeous!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:54 pm 

cat on the wall wrote:
Polly_Jean_Cave wrote:
cat on the wall wrote:
olivier101 & mart, sorry you feel that way I didn't mean to offend anyone by posting it, I just figured since it does have PJ it's going to be fine with everyone. Honestly don't know much about Nick but I do LOVE "From Her To Eternity". It does seem that at one time he made PJ happy. I respect everyone's opinion as they've a right to have one. Just wanted to clarify my intentions weren't negative.

Polly Jean Cave you seem like a big nick fan & that's great! I'm genuinely happy you like the photo that much. :) I've only really heard FHTE & Black Hair by him. I've been meaning to hear more, any suggestions for what I should hear first?

& dry I'm sorry I didn't see it on the blog first found it via a search.

Well, since you love "From Her To Eternity" so much, I guess I'll suggest some of the earlier records that are in similar vein. Maybe "The Firstborn is dead" which is the follow up, "Your funeral my trial" was the next "(excluding kicking against the pricks because that was just a cover record)

I think a real bad seeds glory moment came in the form of "Tender Prey" - those, particularly the famous "Mercy Seat" covered by Johnny Cash and "Up jumped the devil" (really waits-ish as is the whole record) are some of the finest songs Cave has ever written. The album is pretty intense though, probably the most violent (by mosts standards. "Violent" is apparently the new word for "Dark Humour" i'm guessing) of that series of records.

Then maybe "Henry's Dream" which is again full of brilliant songs, many thought it was over produced. I had no qualms though. "Let Love In" is another strong one - that record is extremely varied sonically/ stylistically, it jumps from genre to genre and quite abruptly at that too. "Murder Ballads" (the commercial album) again, a miniture earthquake of dark humour, irony, melodrama, sound, sarcasm, and just plain greatness. Highlights include: "Curse of Millhaven" the most feral, wittiest track you're ever guaranteed to hear about murder, "Stagger Lee" - only he could pull off saying :yeah: :banana: "Mother Fucker" like 50 times in a song and it sound just as brutal as the last and in no way repetitive or pretentious" got a great beat too. Kind of funk tinged (reminds me of his and Polly's relationship for some reason). O'Malley's bar - which may just be his greatest delivery on that record. And of course his duet with Polly on "Henry Lee" BTW....Keep the Cave pics coming, those two are like two peas in a pod. I and plenty of other people here are massive fans and anticipate on seeing plenty more :grin:

Yes usually the darker the better with me. :)

Quote:
I guess I'll suggest some of the earlier records that are in similar vein

So his earliest albums are the "darkest"? if you know what I mean uh....like depressing! Yes I LOVE depressing music I find it profound & touching & relate to it much easier. :green:

Quote:
dark humour, irony, melodrama, sound, sarcasm, and just plain greatness.

I agree he does have these, & that's very hard to find anymore. Hey I created a thread just for fans of "PJ & Nick" so we aren't to off topic what say we continue over there. I'm going to be adding more Nick & PJ stuff as I can find it.

http://www.thegardenforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=839

Um...well, his work has become more refined with time. What I think I meant by "In similar vein" -regarding his earlier albums, is that they had a pretty similar sound sonically and that their style was pretty similar to that of the preceder. For instance - IMO "From her to Eternity" sounds a lot like "Birthday Party" material as does "The Firstborn is dead" (however it also leans towards a real Neubauten sound). I think by the time of "Tender Prey" they really had reached that classic style they became later renowned for (as good as the previous albums were). But to answer your question, yes the earlier records were harder and definitely more intense. After "The Good Son" - which is a good album, but it was too "I'm in love", "I'm a husband", "I'm a refromed man" allow me to express that through song (real cliched shit) ! Which is ok, but not Cave's forte IMO. It's very Bossa Nova too. "Henry's Dream" was a fine return to form -(definitely an intense one) as is "Let Love In" and "Murder Ballads".

"The Boatman's Call" is probably one of his most mellow. I didn't like that record much at all. Of course it has it's moments of utter beauty in the form of "Into My Arms" "Brompton Oratory" uh..."Lime Tree Arbour" and I also think "West Country Girl" was really good. But sonically speaking it's far too homogenous. Same sort of composition for each song. I mean, I understand a certain style/sound was necessary for the songs to work...but it just ends up becoming well...a bit...boring! And, he's made it well and trully obvious that that record is about 1 person mainly. With the recuring mentions of "Green Eyes" and "Black Hair", references to the "country"", "white skin" domestic pets and small frames. He made sure he got the message out to her loud and clear on that record. People can say what they like but at least 75% of that album is about her!

Thank you for the PJ/Cave thread Cat! Much appreciated! I look forward to it! :flower: :woot: :yippee: :love: :cheer:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:03 pm 

sau wrote:

:love: :love: :love:

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:28 pm 

I was able to do this screen capture from the new "Murder" video.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:30 pm 

newoldtymer wrote:

the only thing that worries me about Polly is she looks very thin, even gaunt, I hope she is not sick :???:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:45 pm 

jesuspolly wrote:
newoldtymer wrote:

the only thing that worries me about Polly is she looks very thin, even gaunt, I hope she is not sick :???:

This isn't really the best capture of her, but she was glowing in TLLR video. I didn't think she looked any thinner than usual.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:26 pm 

cat on the wall wrote:
Haven't seen this before

Better late than never.

You just made my day, possibly my whole month, with this picture (which I'd never seen before either), and I am a hunter and collector of all things Polly and Nick.

Thanks so much for posting this.

Love them both much too much.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:19 pm 

Location: The Black Country, England, Great Britain, UK - in that order
^ Ha-ha, Polly looks well drugged up.........'spose that answers a few questions :laugh:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:46 am 

A bit different angle than usually:

Posted 6th July on Portishead's official site. Might be taken by a band member?

Those straps on her back look really comfortable...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:53 am 

Yeah I do really like this Let England Shake tour dress, it looks gorgeous to me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 26  Next