It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:20 am 

Just found this about the show: http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/content/pj-harvey-0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:27 am 

the river!! :D :D :D yesss!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:47 am 

abovethemountain wrote:
the river!! :D :D :D yesss!!

That woke me up with a bump when I saw that on the setlist pic. too, that's an absolute (rare) favourite, tell me someone filmed that one :eek:

Many thanks for the pics./setlist/thoughts halfpint, think I'm ditching Amazon and buying my stuff at Bridport Records in future, might as well try and get in their good books ;)

Is that a (period) soldier's uniform Polly's wearing? The (four?) feathers thing continues I see.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:04 am 

mart wrote:
halfpint_fighter wrote:
I hope when you wake up and log in this brings a smile to start your day.

certainly did - nice one :grin:

YES! thank you! the setlist is perfect.
she neeeeeds to add some more european shows :(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:10 pm 

Pluton wrote:
Thank you very very much halfpint_fighter. But I'm very curious to read your opinion about the new songs. What do you thin of them? Did they sound like "The Last Living Rose" and "Written On the Forehead"?

On conferring with Emma there is a definite theme running through the new songs. The voice effect used in 'Written On the Forehead'
came up a few times which added to that theme.
When the guitars came out they used simple progressions but strong rhythms backed up by one or 2 keyboard/synths. The drummer used brushes a lot, partly for the sound but also i guess due to the small setting.

There is a feeling against war in the lyrics and plenty of imagery of the coast & countryside.

Another heart felt album!

If you look at the pictures of what they wore you can see the military/countryside in their outfits. I'm pretty sure Polly's jacket is not proper military due to the slash cut front. The drummer had riding boots, white shirt, waistcoat and neckerchief combo, very old England.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:51 pm 

Hey, I'm Emma, halfpint's wife. I cannot believe how slowly he's leaking the photos to you. I've just registered as Twisted Rose, please get me set up so I can spam like a very happy Polly-tard.

I think I'm the most hated person among my friends right now as I know people who have tickets for the sold out shows in London and are counting down the days and low and behold we got to go to this fkn incredible secret gig!! ANd I wasn't allowed to tell any of them!!!! In case it got leaked on the net. When Olly told me I was beside myself and didn't actually let myself believe it. Because to get myself that excited and for it not to happen would have been beyond belief. Even on the way down in the snow I kept thinking 'it might not happen, don't get too excited' and then when we got to the church, in the dark I was just dumbfounded. I am renowned among my friends (and on another music forum, where I am a forum whore) for getting so excited I embarrass myself. But there was just no option for being fangirly, or for crying or for being all "OMG SEVH:HTKNSRLHCKNSLTHN????!!!" because it was so low key. We were sat amongst her family and friends (Polly's mamma was 2 seats in front of me) and everyone was just in wellies and woollen jumpers. I think I spotted 4 'fan' types among the crowd. 3 other girls younger than myself (I'm 28) who were either children of Polly's parents friends or wtv. It was not at all like a at a concert.

I'd brought Polly a pink angel shaped candle to say thank you for the gig and to remind her of the evening and I sat clutching it through every song. The new material is so uplifting, strong and earthy, if you can describe a set as that? It's beautiful, with the classic other wordlyliness of Polly's voice. It was so beautiful, in a church, in the dark, with no streetlights for miles and 200 people and Polly & the band. But it wasn't unreal, it was cosy and earthy. Polly was amazing and she laughed at herself several times, once when she started The Devil an octave too high and laughed, and waved her arms at the band going 'no, no, no!!' It was so cute.

You know what? I'ma post my account of it from a music board I frequent:

Last edited by halfpint_fighter on Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:54 pm 

Quote:
Me & Olly just got back from a secret PJ Harvey gig in her home town. I did make a post about it a while ago, but Olly asked me to delete it because it could've been found out. One of the best gigs I've ever been to, 200 people in a church. I got to talk to PJ, thank her for her music, get a pic and give her a gift. It was a dream. Her mum was sat 2 seats in front of us. I'm so sorry I couldn't tell you all.

I'm still in shock. I"m uploading about 60 pics onto FB now. I'll make a proper thread because it was incredible & I've got so much to share. She's such a shy person.

Quote:
She recorded 'Let England Shake' in a church in her home town, Eype, nr Bridport, Dorset, and to say thank you she did a secret gig there tonight for 200 people. £15 a ticket and all money went to the church. It was mainly family and friends, there was only me and 3 other girls who seemed like fans as far as I'm aware and 2 of those girls' mum was friends with Polly's mum. We truly are so lucky to have gone. I've been trying not to let myself get too excited in case it didn't happen and I didn't really believe it until she was right in front of us. It's just beyond a blessing. It's ridiculous.

She's a regular at the local music shop, Br*dport Music and it's one of the shops that Olly reps for. He supplies them with music books and gets on really well with _______________ who own and run it & they got us tickets. Me & Olly both picked up on how nervous she seemed whenever she wasn't singing or playing. She didn't talk in between songs other than to say 'thank you very much' after we applauded each song. You can see in one of the pics that her hands are clenched with her thumbs turned in. She also stood pigeon toed quite a lot, with her toes turned in, it was so cute. She's like a fragile, tiny bird, with the most beautiful and ethereal voice. Truly incredible.

I was desperate to tell you but Olly promised [the music shop owners] it'd be kept a secret. So I deleted my post and bit my tongue.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:56 pm 

Quote:
At the end of the gig Me & Olly stood by the front of the church and I spoke to one of the band members to get the set list and then we just waited for her to come out. Olly talked to one of the guys who was putting her guitars away and had a good nosey at the instruments. She came out and was hugging someone and chatting about her head dress and 1930s style and I waited for them to stop talking. She kept looking over and smiling a bit nervously, she knew I was waiting for her. Then I said Hi and thank you so much for the gig and that I'd brought her a small gift to say thank you and to remind her of the evening. She said that was really sweet and clutched it but didn't open it, it was a little pink angel shaped candle. She said thank you very much and then I asked if I could get a picture. She said she doesn't normally but that she would. I said thank you and that I was an art teacher and would love to show my students the pic. Olly took our photo and I introduced him and said that he worked with _______________ from the music shop and she was like "Oh!" Big smiles. And Olly said he was a music rep and supplied them with books. He said that we'd driven for 2.5hrs in the snow to get there and she said she was glad we'd made it safely and to be really careful driving home. I then said that my favorite album was White Chalk and that it had helped me through some difficult times. She said she was really happy that they'd played some songs from it then and apologised for "mucking up Silence". I said don't be ridiculous and that it was amazing, that I had to grab Olly's arm when it started because I was so excited/moved. Olly said that the whole gig was incredible and she said thank you. Then we wished her a happy Christmas and she said "you too" and we all said bye, then we went and said a huge thank you to [the music shop owners] for inviting us. ____________ asked if we wanted a signed copy of the album when it comes out and I squealed. We met their kids and wished them a Merry Christmas and then we got going. As soon as we got outside I left a fangirl message on _________ answer phone, tried to call _______ and texted ________!! I've never wished I had your number before so much __________!!

We then had to talk back to the car at a nearby lay by because she was no parKing at the church. So we held hands with our hoods up & a torch, had a look at some of the pretty gravestones in the snow and trudged down the woody lanes back to the car. It was perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:03 pm 

The luckiest girl in the world

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:58 pm 
Those lucky people of Bridport!

Can't wait for the album to come out now!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:17 pm 

Thank you so much once again for sharing! I'm so beyond jealous right now! Great fan pic with Polly! (I LOVE her coat!)

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:17 pm 
Site Admin

*sigh*

-Oh, and welcome to the Garden! You have your own log in now. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:49 pm 

Excellent! thank you both for sharing!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:20 pm 

WOW!

Thank you so much! I love Polly's new outfit...
I'm only dreaming of ever attending such an intimate gig. Lucky you!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:31 pm 

Bizarrely Emma is the shyer one of the 2 of us but when it comes to favourite musicians she is very bold!

I hadn't even thought of sticking around to say hello but how many chances do you get? :laugh:
On the drive back we were thinking of what we could have said to Polly. I think we got the right mix of treating her as a human/being fans.

So as per this thread
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=779

Where have you pre-ordered your copies of the new album?

Funnily enough i will pick up a copy from Bridport when i visit there in February.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next