It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:14 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:36 am
Posts: 2196
http://www.wolftrap.org/tickets/calendar/performance/17filene/0721show17.aspx

Maybe that's old news, but I just noticed (and nobody mentioned it in here): "PJ Harvey with special guest Anacostia's Union Temple Baptist Church Choir".


Image

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWfi-5dl4Sd/


Last edited by Kuk91 on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:36 pm
Posts: 659
Location: England
Kuk91 wrote:
http://www.wolftrap.org/tickets/calendar/performance/17filene/0721show17.aspx

Maybe that's old news, but I just noticed (and nobody mentioned it in here): "PJ Harvey with special guest Anacostia's Union Temple Baptist Church Choir".


oh thats something different!! hope we get a good recording..

err presuming they are playing with her and not a support act!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:50 pm
Posts: 122
Kuk91 wrote:
http://www.wolftrap.org/tickets/calendar/performance/17filene/0721show17.aspx

Maybe that's old news, but I just noticed (and nobody mentioned it in here): "PJ Harvey with special guest Anacostia's Union Temple Baptist Church Choir".


That's nice to hear! it's the choir from "The Community of Hope" video. When it was released it really seemed like Seamus (and Polly too, I guess) took advantage of them... at least that's how the pastor portrayed it in the Washington Post back then.

_________________
You look reasonably happy for someone who's not.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:25 am
Posts: 680
Location: (not quite) down by the water (but close)
Polly's performance at the Sziget festival in Budapest is scheduled for Friday 11 August. I suggest you make this date specific in the list.
http://szigetfestival.com/programs#!/plist//2017-08-11/

_________________
I'd do anything
To see you again
I'd do anything


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:25 am
Posts: 680
Location: (not quite) down by the water (but close)
at A Summer's Tale, in Luhmühlen, Germany, Polly will perform on 3 August.
http://www.asummerstale.de/en/program#03Aug

_________________
I'd do anything
To see you again
I'd do anything


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:38 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:22 pm
Posts: 2188
Location: ~ +38.4, -122.7
^ Done. Thanks.

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9eTwPgl0GU


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:06 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:22 pm
Posts: 2188
Location: ~ +38.4, -122.7
Last uncertainty in the Summer 2017 schedule (top post) is sorted: Polly headlines at the Green Man Festival on Sunday, Aug 20 on the Mountain stage.
https://www.greenman.net/news/green-man-2017-day-by-day-line-up/

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9eTwPgl0GU


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:23 pm
Posts: 111
Polly's playing at the Pitchfork Festival from 7:25 to 8:25 PM Chicago time tomorrow/today (well, on Saturday) and it's probably going to be streamed live on their YouTube channel.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:36 am
Posts: 2196
TheNightingale wrote:
Polly's playing at the Pitchfork Festival from 7:25 to 8:25 PM Chicago time tomorrow/today (well, on Saturday) and it's probably going to be streamed live on their YouTube channel.

"See the full streaming schedule (all times EST)"

Already checked it earlier today, and I'm afraid it's not going to be streamed on their YouTube channel.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:23 pm
Posts: 111
Kuk91 wrote:
TheNightingale wrote:
Polly's playing at the Pitchfork Festival from 7:25 to 8:25 PM Chicago time tomorrow/today (well, on Saturday) and it's probably going to be streamed live on their YouTube channel.

"See the full streaming schedule (all times EST)"

Already checked it earlier today, and I'm afraid it's not going to be streamed on their YouTube channel.


It's a pity, since they added "Dear Darkness" to the setlist:



Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:36 am
Posts: 2196
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:40 pm
Posts: 89
TheNightingale wrote:
It's a pity, since they added "Dear Darkness" to the setlist:



Of the first few videos posted, I was happy to see that Dear Darkness and enjoyed it.

Not crazy about the way she enunciates here words in 'DBTW' these days. And just the general version being played for this tour, I"m not crazy about. So I skip or skim thru this one.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:18 pm
Posts: 221
Yes_No_Maybe_So wrote:
Not crazy about the way she enunciates here words in 'DBTW' these days ...


I thought that at Brixton in the Autumn. When you reminded me of it I wondered whether the melodrama and transatlantic vocalising of TBYML doesn't fit the way PJ sings, and views her work, now, but then the current performances of 'TBYML' itself are as melodramatic as ever, and the vocal isn't very different. So it's an odd decision (it seems to me).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:40 pm
Posts: 89
AineteEkaterini wrote:

I thought that at Brixton in the Autumn. When you reminded me of it I wondered whether the melodrama and transatlantic vocalising of TBYML doesn't fit the way PJ sings, and views her work, now, but then the current performances of 'TBYML' itself are as melodramatic as ever, and the vocal isn't very different. So it's an odd decision (it seems to me).


My guess is that because her vocal style changes for most albums, there may be a particular way she enunciates letters or vowels differently at times too as a part of that vocal adaptive process. Which maybe in turn can't help but impact the way she sings the older songs too. Not just pitch or volume, but the actual pronunciation of words. And it sounds weird or obviously different to us because we are used to hearing certain words from those songs being vocalized in a different way.

I had a similar recollection back in the Stories live-era, a couple times when she had performed Angeline. There too were a couple words which were pronounced differently and struck me as odd-sounding because that wasn't the way she sang them on the album nor during that albums live performances. I doubt these are conscious decisions on her part, just the influence of newer songs and their different word pronunciations bleeding over into the older material.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:40 pm
Posts: 89
A couple reviews of the Pitchfork Festival performance (tl;dr: somewhat mixed, not wildly enthusiastic):

https://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/a ... -pitchfork
(the title doesn't really match the actual content of the article/review)


scroll down to the 8:20pm entry:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertain ... story.html

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group