It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:39 am 

Location: The Black Country, England, Great Britain, UK - in that order
just praying its not Nice Cave :laugh:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:13 am 

Geoff Barrow has been bigging Pol and Co. up lately so im gonna have one final guess at Portishead! although BEAK are on tour so maybe not.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:19 pm 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHKPYpcBiQj/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHKZ1KghzHV/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHKZ_xCB9yc/ :grin:

Spoiler! :

Last edited by Kuk91 on Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:50 pm 

:shades: Savages lead singer doing solo set, found put as we start to gather

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:08 pm 

https://twitter.com/TheEdenSessions/status/747531018802970624

Spoiler! :

Last edited by Kuk91 on Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:34 am 

http://www.thelineofbestfit.com/photos/live-photo-gallery/pj-harvey-at-the-eden-sessions

Spoiler! :

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:50 pm 

http://www.westbriton.co.uk/review-trul ... story.html
By WOCornwall West Briton | Tue 28 Jun 2016

PJ Harvey

Eden Sessions

Review by Lee Trewhela

★★★★★

I HATED Peej's last headline slot at Eden in 2003. Wilfully ignoring her previous album – the Mercury Award-winning Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea – Polly and band barraged us with an unrelenting garage rock onslaught which became enervating rather than energising.

What a difference a decade makes. The PJ who mesmerised on Monday is a completely different woman; a mystic John Pilger reporting on world affairs while prowling the stage like a cross between Gloria Swanson and a crow.

Before the girl (actually, a couple of weeks older than me at a better preserved 46) from Dorset performed there was a "special surprise guest".

Since the mighty Savages were announced one day and unannounced the next, discussion has been rife among a certain sort of music fan about who would take their place. Well, Savages did, sort of. Singer Jehnny Beth announced that her friend PJ had asked her to perform a set of piano songs she writes on tour but never plays in public.

So the 2,000 or so of us at Eden enjoyed a world premiere.The result was hypnotic and intimate – no mean feat at an Eden Project in daylight.

A touch of Patti Smith, Lou Reed, minor chord Thom Yorke and even a delicate Thin Lizzy cover, this was a side of the classically cool Frenchwoman we have never seen before ... but these songs deserve a bigger audience.

A sense of theatre peppered PJ's set from the beginning as she and her nine-strong band paraded on solemnly as big bass drums ushered in the prison-gang blues of Chain of Keys. The first sign that something extraordinary was happening was the precision-drilled stop-start firepower of The Ministry of Defence.

Latest album The Hope Six Demolition Project, with its removed but unflinching reportage of housing projects in America - which have been attacked as social cleansing - alongside other global issues, wouldn't be one for festival crowds you would think.

But having stormed Glastonbury the night before, it was clear that lines like "They're gonna put a Walmart here", "This is how the world will end" and "Little children, don't disappear – I heard it was 28,000" are built for a mass singalong even if you feel slightly uneasy while doing it.

Playing the album in its entirety, songs like The Community of Hope and Near The Memorials of Vietnam and Lincoln inhabit a unique place where folk storytelling meets rock'n'roll, ska, blues, acid-fried jazz, Brecht and Weill strangeness and pop. Don't forget the pop. For these are irresistible songs.

There were moments where the power of music usurped everything, taking you to that special place that nothing else can – the forward momentum of The Wheel which grew to something truly magnificent; an absolutely crazed 50ft Queenie; pin-drop hush of Victorian abortion tableau When Under Ether; and an epic To Bring You My Love.

Her band were simply amazing – a veritable Who's Who of alt.rock royalty including Nick Cave's former right-hand man Mick Harvey, James Johnstone (Gallon Drunk, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds), Alain Johannes (Queens Of The Stone Age, Them Crooked Vultures) and brass maestro Terry Edwards (everyone from Madness to Tom Waits). They didn't showboat, but simply allowed the songs to breathe; not easy when there are ten of you on stage.

From the doom gospel of River Anacostia to the triumvirate of songs from the much-loved Let England Shake (which now takes on added gravitas after the EU referendum), we had witnessed something very special.

A couple of weeks ago I declared Lionel Richie the best Eden Sessions yet. To compare the two would be perverse, but I think PJ Harvey may have just edged it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:00 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:10 pm 

I HATED Peej's last headline slot at Eden in 2003. Wilfully ignoring her previous album – the Mercury Award-winning Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea – Polly and band barraged us with an unrelenting garage rock onslaught which became enervating rather than energising.

Everyone can have a different opinion. That's fine. We see and hear it everywhere.

But when a setlist includes : Good Fortune, Big Exit, The Whores Hustle and the Hustlers Whore and A Place Called Home - I just have a feeling that it might not be so wilfully ignorant.

Journalism, hey. :eyeroll:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:15 pm 

Kuk91 wrote:

Hey Kuk91 did you go, is that your vid?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:57 pm 

No. Why would you think it's mine? Just found it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:20 pm 

Meanwhile, mart, what did they played for the encore? Just "Memorials" (or with "Elise")?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:03 pm 

Kuk91 wrote:
No. Why would you think it's mine? Just found it.

i'd hoped you'd been there to see a stunning show :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:14 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:33 pm 

Kuk91 wrote:
Meanwhile, mart, what did they played for the encore? Just "Memorials" (or with "Elise")?

to be fair i just don't remember, fortunately Gail took over photo duties to leave me to immerse myself in a brilliant atmospheric show, i think they may have played two!!
Polly & the band were really "as one" - possibly more than i've seen before and the new material is 100% better the way it's been arranged for this tour than on the album - but that's just my opinion :wink: