It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:27 am 

Location: The Black Country, England, Great Britain, UK - in that order
from faceache;

Quote:
Live Stream Of PJ Harvey’s Sold-Out Royal Albert Hall Show – Monday October 31st
LoveLive will be streaming the second night of PJ Harvey’s upcoming, sold out, Royal Albert Hall appearances live on Monday October 31st 2011

The concert will be streamed in real time worldwide within an exclusive video player. You will need to purchase a unique access code to view the live stream.

Upon confirmation of the purchase, you will receive an email with your access code and further instructions on where you can watch the show. The stream will commence at 8.15pm (UK Time) on the day of the event.

code £2.99 in the UK ....no bad....so i've paid up as i can't be there :)

https://www.facebook.com/PJHarvey?sk=app_215540985145858

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:45 am 

As per usual....no sign of this on the official site, looks like facebook is the place!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:13 am 

It actually is on the official site, try again - you can't miss it. I don't like one bit that we have to pay 3 pounds to stream the show - I seem to remember Polly saying on the Andrew Marr show: "the world seems to be steered towards economic gains being the only goal of worth", and she was dead on. This is way too corporate, I know that Polly does not involve herself in the business side of her work, and I think it's a shame, she should take a chapter out of Radiohead's book. not musically!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:36 am 

^^ nope checked again & still ....
Quote:
PJ Harvey Performs On Scandinavian TV Show Skavlan Tonight (Oct 21st) @ 9pm

anyway, that don't really matter

& i just can't agree with your moaning about paying a measly £3 for a live stream - jeez, we all download for everything for free that comes out & i'm sure we will moments after this has finished, like it or not what Polly & the band do is their "day job" .... how often do you "work for nowt"?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:43 am 

alonbp wrote:
It actually is on the official site, try again - you can't miss it. I don't like one bit that we have to pay 3 pounds to stream the show - I seem to remember Polly saying on the Andrew Marr show: "the world seems to be steered towards economic gains being the only goal of worth", and she was dead on. This is way too corporate, I know that Polly does not involve herself in the business side of her work, and I think it's a shame, she should take a chapter out of Radiohead's book. not musically!

Yeah, I agree but suspect it's more the middlemen that decided to charge though. Think I'll wait for Dime/other anyway.
Radiohead were taking a leaf from many other bands books it should be said with the In Rainbows release, it's mostly been backwards for them since that. http://cashmusic.org/about/ is a great model I think

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:05 pm 

Quote:
^^ nope checked again & still ...

& i just can't agree with your moaning about paying a measly £3 for a live stream - jeez, we all download for everything for free that comes out & i'm sure we will moments after this has finished, like it or not what Polly & the band do is their "day job" .... how often do you "work for nowt"?

It's probably because you go straight to the homepage. there's a page before that. Here: http://www.pjharvey.net. Now regarding my moaning, we seem to differ radically in our approaches, and I don't want to make this an off topic (that's what you say right before you make it an off topic, isn't it?) so I'll just say the following and leave it at that. What's great about the Internet is that it's the first real democratic media, a part of that being that it's for FREE. As you've said, the show will surface on youtube, twitter and so on a couple of hours after it ends. The audio will go up to file sharing sites. Instead of going with this "flow" (like the free live streams from festivals, like streaming LES on NPR for free) Polly (or the middleman, as ethereal has pointed out) is now asking us to pay her. It's not the 3 pounds that bothers me obviously, it's the principle behind this move. It's reactionary. I don't like it at all.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:47 pm 

^ 'nuff said ;)

but i still can't see notification of the RAH streaming on the .net home page -http://www.pjharvey.net. takes me to the Let England Shake artwork, click it & then i go to the home page....wonder if it's some cache problem? oh-um

edit -

'tis indeed - posted http://www.pjharvey.net. directly into IE9 & there it is slap in my face as you say.....must be Chrome not refreshing the actual page! wonder what else if missed over the years if that's the case?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:13 pm 

I have no objection to a fee for live streaming being charged,why shouldn't an artist charge for their performance/recorded material?

£3 isn't excessive. And i should hope the camera work would be better than hand held mobile footage you might get for free.

So much music is swapped and shared now a days, artists miss out on a lot of income.
I support The Throwing Muses/Kristin Hersh through Cash Music and am happy to pay for music that wouldn't see the light of day if it wasn't for people paying a subscription.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:41 pm 

First of all, I completely embrace ethereal's comment about the middleman, in this case a company called LoveLive which is behind this wonderful endeavor. My only bone to pick with Polly is that she partners with them. Tell me, what do you make of that live stream from Paris in February? and the live stream from Coachella? why were they free of charge? the video and audio quality in both cases was great, the camera work was marvelous, so I guess it isn't necessary to charge people in order to put together a successful live stream. It seems to me like LoveLive is trying to make money off of us, and that's quite understandable that they want money, it's not illegal or anything. I just don't want to support that. (totally betrayed my "I don't want to make this an off topic", sorry)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:19 pm 

bought it :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:26 am 

for me it completely makes sense when they charge £3 because already, she made free online webcasting on arte in the first day of album release, and also there was all 12 videos on yotube on hd for free instead of expensive double cd+DVD release. also written on the forehead was on soundcloud for free before the album release. I think, they charge for this show because there will be people who work behind the cameras; cameramen, director, operator and such and I am sure that these people who behind the camera do not do this job for free. Even I will not able to watch the show because of my bad internet connection, I will pay £3 for Polly or for the people who work on the show that night because they deserve it. I am sure that I will take back my money from Polly in the future when she does better jobs, great songs, books, poems or any other kind of art.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:58 pm 

it will start in a few hours...can't wait :grin:

edit:
Amazing! it was great

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:34 pm 

Incredible!!! As if I had been there! (I'm in Moscow))
It was amazing, especially the performance of THE RIVER and PIANO!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:42 pm 

best £2.99 spent....ever

'kin brilliant, took me back to the shows i've been to but best seat in the house :shades:

the HD picture quality & sound was brilliant, it broke up a few times but that's our crappy tinternet connection, we had it from laptop HDMi output into plasma c/w sound system & it was spot on :grin:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:12 am 

I am so bummed I missed this! It streamed while I was at work. This show is getting great reviews and once again I envy you all who got to experience it!

FaceplaceEl Jay