It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:01 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:44 am 

tonight's (or should I say last night's) show was the best (so far on this tour)!

and what is more (brace yourselves for jumping with joy, all of you who weren't here):

this show was being recorded, by a professional team with several video cameras (one at each lateral end of the stage, another camera sliding back and forth along the front of the stage, and yet another one looming in the air above the audience).

now I only wonder when and where this will be broadcast (or otherwise released). it was not a partial recording (of just a few songs) because the cameras continued operating throughout the show (including some sliding shoots of the audience during breaks between songs - so we shall expect to be seen, some of us who were here).

so what else was remarkable about this show? not the setlist, which was exactly the same as before.

but Polly presented a sartorial surprise.

I was so expecting her to walk onstage attired in the white dress that I didn't notice the fact that she walked second in line (after Mick, or was it John). first came a man in black (or dark) clothing, then another figure attired in black, thereafter the third and then I expected to see Polly... but instead came a fourth person wearing very dark clothes, and this made me think: what? where is Polly? and who is that fourth band member? - it was only a moment later (as Polly walked out of the darkness and came up to the microphone) that I became aware that she was wearing an outfit she hadn't worn previously on the tour (but actually wore at the first TV appearance, back in April - was it in April?)

anyway this became an unexpected feast for appreciative eyes, in addition to the audio component of the concert (which is obviously what matters the most). :wink:

the musical performance itself was even better than before, at least this is how I experienced it. other fans (who've been to all the shows so far) expressed the opinion (while waiting outside the doors) that so far every show has been better than the previous one. so if this pattern continues... we shall find reason for increasing delight as the year progresses.

another thing that made this show more endearing was the fact that two mistakes occurred during the encore. first at the start of Angelene, when Polly explained that she forgot to retune her guitar, therefore stopped playing to do this. then again at the beginning of Silence, when there seemed to be a lack of co-ordination between Polly and the band, wherefore they stopped the music in order to begin again.

audience enthusiasm was about as overwhelming as the night before, but again the cheering and clapping at the end failed to ellicit a second encore.

now and then some song requests were shouted, though not quite as many as the night before. and at one point a male voice hollered: "Polly Jean, I am married, but I can always divorce!" that's a token of true devotion, I would say. though I always was in favor of allowing polygamy - or should I say Polly-gamy?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:08 am 

I can only hope that such things occur at the 1st Troxy gig, as well as anything else that may add to Polly's new album experience. So looking forward to it..., :grin:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:33 am 

)^Envy is such an ugly feeling - but I'm green with it... not least all the boasting of going to several or even all the shows :down:

Very enthused by the prospect of a concert video, though :grin: (and backstage stuff, interviews, Seamus Murphy-videos, more cover artwork - THE WORKS :laugh: )

This is great news! :geek:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:43 am 

Completely agree with you Pollyphoniac. The show was good. Really can't understand all those very bad critics on the french forum... unfortunately, it's french nature to be disappointed and negative about everything ("it was better before" is a thing I usually hear). The River, DBTW, Silence, The Devil and Big Exit (on autoharp) were brilliant, IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:45 pm 

It must be a dvd they shot last night because I counted 10 cameras inside and one camera crew filming the queue outside the Olympia prior to the show - overly excessive for only a tv broadcast. Also the night before there were several microphones set up between the stage and barrier to record the audience reaction, guess they wanted a clean sound without any noise from the camera movements. They picked the right night to film!

Here's the setlist from Paris 25/02/11 and an extra souvenir ;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:04 pm 

:grin: lucky :lol: exciting news about the filming :grin:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:51 pm 

GREAT news on the show. Filming? Maybe an official DVD release is coming.
I am going to be checking YouTube today!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:47 am 

Pluton wrote:
Really can't understand all those very bad critics on the french forum... unfortunately, it's french nature to be disappointed and negative about everything ("it was better before" is a thing I usually hear)

Don't generalize.. I'm French, and I completely agree with you :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:52 am 

Excited and waiting for eurostar from paris to london! :-)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:50 pm 

the Arte channel shall show this gig sooner or later

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:06 pm 

Black Hearted Love wrote:

have you got some information to this effect?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:39 pm 

that would be nice. but i don't expect it really. one of the AWAMWB shows was filmed too and it wasn't showed anywhere...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:38 pm 

Meanwhile there's this piece of awesomeness: http://liveweb.arte.tv/fr/video/PJ_Harv ... roquinerie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:07 pm 

Pollyphoniac wrote:

have you got some information to this effect?

I've read it here
http://www.pj-harvey.net/component/opti ... tstart,30/
Quote:
mikezero76

Hello

Juste pour dire que le concert du 25 a été filmé pour Arte qui devrait le diffuser dans son intégralité bientôt.

Voilà

it's wrote that filming was by Arte, waiting for a transmission
but probably it ends to be the clip above
thanks olivier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:35 pm 

Hope and pray it will see the light off day....:-(