Post subject: Re: Worst PJ Album?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:25 pm 

UHH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:26 pm 

Uh Huh Her

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:44 pm 

i don't think it's so right to talk 'bout a "worst" PJ... anyway:White Chalk is the less listened... :???:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:54 pm 

"Darling Be There" still holds the top spot as being my least favorite of all Polly's songs. And "Uh Huh Her" with the exception of "Badmouth", "The Slow Drug", "It's You" & "Desperate Kingdom Of Love", will probably always be my least favorite record. I listened to it for two weeks at the time of my buying it since it was new to me and never really listened again.

Owen! Food! Don't you in-a-minute momma me! Get off your fat little ass or I'll break it for you! I want two soft-boiled eggs, white toast, and some of that grape jelly, God Damnit! And don't burn the toast! Move it, fat boy!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:30 pm 

Giusy wrote:
i don't think it's so right to talk 'bout a "worst" PJ... anyway:White Chalk is the less listened... :???:

I'm sure that, for each album cited as being someone's 'worst' there will be plenty of other posts showing that the same album is a favourite of many other Gardeners.

Personally I find I am sometimes playing everything, sometimes picking key albums or gigs to re-listen to, and sometimes find I am not in the right frame of mind for a given album or track.

Just today I played White Chalk after a while away from it, and was reminded of its utter beauty.

There's nothing in my Polly collection that doesn't get played at all, and certainly every album gets played more often than many other artists in my collection!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:13 pm 

Stories (except maybe for "This is love" and one or two more songs)

(and I still have a hard time listening to that song. When she relaxes her tongue and forgets to articulate the final "s" of every "This" it seems she's singing "Dizzy love, dizzy love" all the time :lol: )

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:18 pm 

GerriSferrazza wrote:
"Darling Be There" still holds the top spot as being my least favorite of all Polly's songs. And "Uh Huh Her" with the exception of "Badmouth", "The Slow Drug", "It's You" & "Desperate Kingdom Of Love", will probably always be my least favorite record. I listened to it for two weeks at the time of my buying it since it was new to me and never really listened again.

That's funny you should say that about "Darling Be There", because I used to absoulutely detest that song. It was so woeful to me that I couldn't make it all the way through. But, then one day it just clicked, and now I absolutely love it. It's such an unusual song, the severly deep voice contrasts nicely with the heavy, distorted organ driven sound. I think the bells at the end work really well, it reminds me of someone leaving a barber's or something. haha. I used to hate "Daddy" - can't get enough now, I especially love the Dark Jazz version on Spleen. The only song I could now say I hate with a passion of her's would have to be "No Child Of Mine"! That song irritates the hell out of me. As for worst album, probably would have to be Uh Huh Her. I think it's still good though, but that's all it is is just good, it doesn't exactly bowl you over as a whole, but I strongly believe that some of the songs such as "Darker Days of Me and Him", "It's you", "Slow Drug", "Desperate Kingdom of Love" and "Pocket Knife" are a few of the best she's ever done. I also really love "Shame" and "Cat on the Wall" and "Who the Fuck?". And then pretty much everything else on UHH apart from maybe "The Letter" - which is alright, but somehow feels energyless, and maybe a bit forced.

Last edited by Polly_Jean_Cave on Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:22 pm 

sonfo wrote:
Stories (except maybe for "This is love" and one or two more songs)

(and I still have a hard time listening to that song. When she relaxes her tongue and forgets to articulate the final "s" of every "This" it seems she's singing "Dizzy love, dizzy love" all the time :lol: )

What?!

How can anyone not like "This is Love"?! It's a classic pop song. I obviously don't like it when people like to pretend that it's the best song she's done. But I can't comprehend anyone not liking it!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:24 pm 

I didn't say I didn't like it!

I even suggested it's the best of the album, but that for some reason I find it hard to listen to it considering the fact I described after that ;)

But it's still a great song :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:30 pm 

sonfo wrote:
I didn't say I didn't like it!

I even suggested it's the best of the album, but that for some reason I find it hard to listen to it considering the fact I described after that ;)

But it's still a great song :D

Oh sorry Sonfo! I Lazily didn't read your post properly. I thought you had said you liked stories apart from this is love. My mistake. Actually, speaking of Stories, I tend to think that "This is love" is one of the least apppealing tracks. But, like I said..still a brilliant pop song.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:35 pm 

No prob ;)

I don't really adore the other songs of the album. I love the live solo version of "Big Exit" and somehow I like "Kamikaze" too. Out of the rest, I kind of enjoy them all (after all I'm a PJ fan, lol) except "You said something", whose kind of midi organ start I just cannot stand ;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:39 pm 

sonfo wrote:
No prob ;)

I don't really adore the other songs of the album. I love the live solo version of "Big Exit" and somehow I like "Kamikaze" too. Out of the rest, I kind of enjoy them all (after all I'm a PJ fan, lol) except "You said something", whose kind of midi organ start I just cannot stand ;)

Hmmm, now that I think about it, I'm not a huge fan of "You Said Something". I like the nostalgia of that track though and I think the lyrics are really good. But it does sound a bit American coffee house. Still like it.