It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:36 am 

zemonsta wrote:
The Orange Monkey was used in yesterday's Emmerdale (British Soap), some characters had on in the background.
Did not expect that!

Yes, I heard it too!

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:24 am 

the band Warpaint just tweeted they liked PJ's recent live performance

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:10 am 

i haven't seen this since it was broadcast on channel 4 around 2002! its worth a watch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:27 pm 

Not sure this is worth mentioning but back in September I saw One More Time With Feeling at Picturehouse Central in London and was saying to my friend how much I'd enjoyed Polly's Field Day set (was right up at the front) and was looking forward to going to both nights in Brixton. Anyway, when we were leaving the screen, my friend's bf said that PJ Harvey was sitting behind us and we were both like "no way", so we hung around in the corridor for a bit. Not long after, and to a very audible gasp by me, out she stepped!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:43 am 

Imagine my surprise when just now setting out to go shopping and turn on Radio 4 only to have 'Dry' blasted out at me. Apparently Lauren Laverne has picked it as part of her 70-track playlist of women musicians to mark 70 years of the programme. The programme won't be available to hear again on the BBC website yet, but I'll post a link when it is.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:27 pm 

It's here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/b083l8zs

The 'Dry' segment begins at 0.30:48. This is what Lauren Laverne says:

"This is an album that pretty much kinda saved my life, because I was kind of an adolescent teenage girl, growing up and trying to deal with all that experience and not really knowing where to put any of it, and if it hadn’t been for PJ Harvey, I don’t know where I would be now, probably not where I am! An absolute life saver. So PJ Harvey’s perspective, and her wry, sometimes really painful but sometimes totally celebratory look at her own experiences and her life [sic] has meant a lot to me in my life."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:38 pm 

EssOpie wrote:
Not sure this is worth mentioning ...

Well, *I* think it is! : ) Good for you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:57 pm 

Maniac is played in the 2006 film Breaking and Entering and in a very funny context indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:24 pm 

Michael Stipe. In the latest issue of MOJO; page 76:

'I saw PJ Harvey perform in Berlin. It was amazing.'

Mark Steel

Last edited by sau on Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:32 pm 

Not a musician, but comedian Josh Widdicombe, after seeing Polly at the first Brixton gig in October. On Twitter:

'PJ Harvey was absolutely amazing'

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:38 pm 

Great comment from John Lydon:

'I love PJ Harvey too. That’s one very interesting woman who doesn’t play the sex category. She strides in there at the level of any man, and I’m really proud for her in that respect, because that’s really what we wanted in punk—we wanted girls to be the equal to the boys, and she carries that great tradition.'

http://pitchfork.com/features/5-10-15-2 ... al_twitter

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:49 pm 

UK BBC Radio 4 show 'Rock Transitions', in which 'journalist & cultural critic' Laura Snapes discusses how music facilitates the dismantling of established gender roles:

'As a young pop fan in the 1990s, I got a limited view of gender roles from the decade's manufactured pop bands. It took discovering PJ Harvey in my early teens to shatter those Scary, Sporty, Ginger, Baby archetypes. At least in the early part of Harvey's career, her interpretation of femininity was so exaggerated that it bordered on drag, so manic that it mocked historical portrayals of women as hysterics. I was enthralled, and started daubing on lurid blue eye shadow up to my eyebrows in tribute to her Joan-Crawford-on-acid phase. I eventually gave up on the makeup, but she had unlocked something within me that holds to this day.'

'Man-Size' starts as Canadian singers Tegan & Sara are talking at 13.16, and carries on under CN Lester's words about transgender people's experiences later on, finally dropping out about 15.00.

Full broadcast here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08jb6s8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:36 am 

Jeff Ament - Pearl Jam

http://www.alternativenation.net/pearl- ... l-of-fame/

PJ Harvey included in a long list.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:07 pm 

David Byrne - Talking Heads

http://pitchfork.com/news/73478-david-b ... int-never/

Elsewhere in his AMA, Byrne discussed some of the music he’s been listening to lately. He mentioned Dirty Projectors, Ryuichi Sakamoto (particularly his new record async), Bon Iver, Lambchop, the Weeknd, Lorde, PJ Harvey, Sampha, and Sinkane.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:19 am 

Ella Hooper - Killing Heidi - Local Australian band

http://musicfeeds.com.au/features/love- ... pj-harvey/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next