It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:18 am 

http://maisonneuve.org/pressroom/articl ... pj-harvey/

Well, personally I find this more comical than offensive. This woman calls herself a music jornalist? More like a prepubescent Bieber or Britney fan! Look at how informal the language is (not to mention the grammatical errors, lack of knowledge (common and sonic) or intellect but we won't go there; and the vague vague vague description of the music ! ) There's nothing really supporting her argument. I know PJ is not for everyone, and if this was a well written negative review with some proper emphasis on what makes her music so intolerable that would be fathomable... but please!..this is not well written!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:56 am 

Polly_Jean_Cave wrote:
http://maisonneuve.org/pressroom/article/2010/jun/22/music-we-hate-pj-harvey/

Well, personally I find this more comical than offensive. This woman calls herself a music jornalist? More like a prepubescent Bieber or Britney fan! Look at how informal the language is (not to mention the grammatical errors, lack of knowledge (common and sonic) or intellect but we won't go there; and the vague vague vague description of the music ! ) There's nothing really supporting her argument. I know PJ is not for everyone, and if this was a well written negative review with some proper emphasis on what makes her music so intolerable that would be fathomable... but please!..this is not well written!

Thanks, Polly_Jean_Cave. I've just noticed Skinned has left a comment!

'In the UK, if you’re an indie musician trying to make it big, mentioning P.J. Harvey in your interview is about as common and blasé as saying “I do it for the music, not the money.” Basically, everyone skims over it. Because it’s bullshit. No one really listens to her—her publicists have created such a false indie-icon image around her that to admit nothing comes to mind when you say her name seems faux pas.'

Does the writer really think that all of those indie musicians just mention her without actually liking some of her stuff? I can't imagine Polly letting publicists create an image for her, but maybe I'm biased.

'Harvey slipped into the woodworks on the coattails of other successful female musicians, thanks to her fortunate timing. The early nineties were filled with powerful women unafraid to strap on guitars and tell men to fuck off. Alanis Morrisette, Liz Phair and Shirley Manson led the decade with sounds that are staples of kick-ass female rock today. Florence and the Machine, Bat for Lashes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Metric—none would exist without the women of the nineties.'

Well, Shirley Manson admires and loves Polly. I'm pretty sure Bat for Lashes has cited Polly as a big influence and a favourite singer of hers; and - but I'm not sure - Florence has done the same. Is the writer a fan of theirs or are they having a 'dig' at them considering what the writer wrote about certain indie musicians mentioning Polly to look like artists rather than mercenaries in it for the money?

'Harvey’s follow-up album Dry...'.

Follow-up album? No more comment needed there!

'...2006’s “White Chalk...'

A bit out there!

'I am not alone in my distaste for her music—or my belief that few are listening anyway. While standing in line for a gig a few weeks ago in London, I began discussing my decision to bash P.J. Harvey with a friend. The response from the woman in front of me: “I thought P.J. Harvey was a man.”'

No-one's music is for everyone - don't get me started on Scouting for Girls! I think Polly may just relish that last paragraph; reminds me of seeing Laura Marling at the Bestival last year. She mentioned Polly and a woman in front of me turned to her friend and asked, "Who?". Made me smile after all these years. For some odd reason I'm glad that some people don't get it or don't even know her.

I had a conversation with someone around a couple of weeks ago who saw Polly live - a few years before me, which made me very jealous and still 'kick myself' after all these years - in Newcastle, England (1992 or 1993?); she remembered seeing this very slight, young woman come onto the stage, then get taken aback by that voice and what came out of her when she started singing. I could tell by the look in her eyes that it was still a cherished memory...Rock on, Gudrun! :-)

Shirley Manson. In it for the music or the money?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVnlhhEGQXI

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:14 am 

This is so caricatural that I don't even feel angry at the so-called journalist...

Only worth laughing at it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:16 am 

Posting comment doesn't work for me... oh well

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:17 pm 

"'Harvey slipped into the woodworks on the coattails of other successful female musicians, thanks to her fortunate timing. "

What an out of touch piece. It's difficult to take the article seriously after reading this since Harvey's success in the U.K. predates the artists mentioned. A quick look at the "Music We Hate" archive shows an M.O. involving serious dislike for bands that are critical successes but only moderately successful in terms of sales (except for Lady GaGa).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:34 pm 

I can't comment either.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:08 am 

I just can't be bothered.

tosser. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:11 am 

I think it is democratic to let everyone have an own opinion of an artist or musician, everyone sees the world differently, in that same way, everyone listens, appreciates and sees music differently, it is obvious that this person did not like the music and the art of Polly, what he writes is his opinion and is respectable, nothing happens, it's just someone who believes that no one cares, least of all true fans of Polly ... I mean us, for me the opinion of this person is totally unimportant ... :shades:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:09 pm 

I was too annoyed to to let that article pass me by so responded with:

I think that not only is this a badly written article you've obviously researched next-to-nothing. PJ Harvey was around before, (albeit only slightly) those other female artists you mentioned.

And yes I am a musician, and yes, I am influenced by PJ Harvey. She has done what so many artists fail to do over a long career; evole and change. I was going to say, 'adapt' as well, but then realised she never needed to. She's done what she wants to do and listened to no one else. That is what artists should be about.

Possibly so many people say she's an influence of theirs, because she actually is? I suggest that the same will not be said of your journalism skills in the entirety of your lack-lustre writing career?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, yes, but maybe, I suggest, you have some hidden vendetta that you didn't cite in your article. Envy maybe?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:23 pm 

Frankly--after reading it-- I have concluded it is was not worth the time to read and not worth the effort to remark. Ignoring such trash is the best choice for me. So PJ is not for everyone... that's not news to me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:08 pm 

Added my reply:

“No one really listens to her”
I do. Many years now. And I'm not “indie”, or a wannabe-rockstar.

I really wonder why you wasted time talking badly about one of the most onest artist out there. I don't expect you to like her, but come on, there is so much crap music around and you decided to talk dirty about one of the few original artists left!
This article is pointless, to say the least.

that "No one really listens to her" is just pathetic :laugh:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:39 am 

Posted my 2 cents, but was forced to delete many of my favorite 4 letter words I initially intended to be in it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:45 am 

cat on the wall wrote:
Posted my 2 cents, but was forced to delete many of my favorite 4 letter words I initially intended to be in it.

:laugh: maybe that's why it's a good thing that the comment system didn't work when I tried...

(love the comments... don't need to add anything... article already in the internet's trashcan)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:54 am 

Location: The Black Country, England, Great Britain, UK - in that order
somme wrote:
I was too annoyed to to let that article pass me by so responded with:

I think that not only is this a badly written article you've obviously researched next-to-nothing. PJ Harvey was around before, (albeit only slightly) those other female artists you mentioned.

.........Envy maybe?

Good call

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:37 pm 
Site Admin

I see there are other articles under "Music We Hate." ah...

What a misdirected project. Bleh.