All times are UTC

Post subject: Rid of Me: A Story
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:01 pm 

Has anyone read this? Is it any good?

Post subject: Re: Rid of Me: A Story
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:59 pm 

Quote:
April 2007
33.3 Rid of Me: A Story - Kate Schatz Published August 2007.

Synopsis:
Kate Schatz' Rid of Me is at once a wholly original work of fiction and an innovative meditation on one writer's relationship to an album. The album in question is PJ Harvey's seminal 1993 recording Rid of Me, a release noted again and again for its raw sound, dark lyrics, and unabashed presentation of female sexuality, desire, and rage. In her prologue, Schatz states that the book is "not about Rid of Me, but because of it" and the book's 14 chapters (one for each song on the album) use the lyrics, moods, images, and characters to create something entirely different, yet intimately connected to the music.

Rid of Me tells the story of Kathleen and Mary, two women who find themselves alone in a house in the middle of the dark, forbidden forest that borders their depressed valley town. Amidst a dramatic natural setting, they negotiate their freedom, their pasts, their survival, and each other. Rid of Me is a story of escape and desire, violence and gender, landscape, family, and memory. It's a twisted fairy tale, a queer dystopia/utopia, and a lyrical exploration of kidnapping, dreams, murder, sex, revenge, and love.

Bio:
Kate Schatz is a writer, editor, and teacher whose fiction and essays have been published in Denver Quarterly, West Branch, Bitch!, LTTR, Kitchen Sink Magazine, and BlitheHouse Quarterly, among others. Kate received her MFA in Literary Arts from Brown University and won the John Hawkes Memorial Prize in Fiction and the Francis Mason Harris Prize. She's a co-founder and editor of The Encyclopedia Project, a 5-volume book series that publishes new writing and visual art (http://www.encyclopediaproject.org). She lives in Oakland, CA with her boyfriend, their dog Buzz, and their cat Stevie Nicks. Kate likes weather when it's good, celebrities when they're bad, and California, in general.

from pollyharvey.co.uk
http://www.jphuntley.co.uk/pjh/FullPages/fullnews.htm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:53 pm 

I had figured that too, I just wanted to know if someone had actually read it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:50 am 

have it, but haven't read it yet lol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:01 am 

I bought it some time ago thinking it would be a book about the album (I admit it: I didn't even read the synopsis and I hadn't heard about the 33 1/3 book collection).

The quote posted before sums it up pretty well, though I may add that it's not as good as it seems IMO. Basically, it's a collection of short-stories tied together by some weak details. The thing that annoyed me the most was that every chapter started with the first line of each song. At times it just seemed that the author dismembered a song and filled the spaces with some paragraphs of words that created some kind of story.

Anyway, I may not be objective enough since I got what I didn't expect (my fault for not researching enough). It might be fun/entertaining to read for some, but it's not a masterpiece.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:53 pm 

Had it saved a few times on ebay but never got around to buying one

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:25 pm 

... same here: read just about the first two pages... then decided I couldn't be bothered. Remember reading somewhere a wise person remarking you can pretty much tell the quality of a book from the first page.
And I agree with sonfo - not literary quality, let alone up to PJ standards! (orthat of her avid, critical fans).

... and! who needs stories SPELLED OUT when you can peek into Polly's universe directly through her text and music?! Or submerge yourself into it ... for days on end...

Does any of you write out stories or poetry or new songs based on real PJ?
Not that u need to share, but does anyone have the urge?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:50 pm 

I read it around 2 years ago in 2 days. I think it was little bit strange to read the someone's stories referencing the songs that I have listened many times because I already had created the story of the songs in my mind, and all the songs of "Rid of Me" have different meaning for me than Kate Schatz. it is interesting but sometimes disturbing to read different story about the song that you know so you can compare what you imagined and what others imagine. However, there is nothing personal about Polly in the book. Just name of the songs and stories about them.The stories were not so impressive for me. Polly's lyrics are better and better! :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:27 pm 

I think it's a great idea. It increases the million possibilities of interpretation. And that is good with an artist as Polly, who's always said that there's no freezed and/or autobiographical meaning to her songs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:50 pm 

Skinned wrote:
I think it's a great idea. It increases the million possibilities of interpretation. And that is good with an artist as Polly, who's always said that there's no freezed and/or autobiographical meaning to her songs.

I see what you mean - but don't you risk freezing meanings when being as direct as the above mentioned book?
Inspirations should be welcome, of course, but I would prefer to find new universes instead... :smile:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:03 pm 

Skladunk wrote:
Skinned wrote:

I see what you mean - but don't you risk freezing meanings when being as direct as the above mentioned book?
Inspirations should be welcome, of course, but I would prefer to find new universes instead... :smile:

The author had the chance to release her book. Of course is ONE interpretation among the others!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:18 pm 

sonfo wrote:
(I admit it: I didn't even read the synopsis and I hadn't heard about the 33 1/3 book collection).

Not every book of that collection is like that, are they? I think most of them actually are books about the album - in a music journalist's way. At least, I thought so when I made the decision to buy some of those in the near future.