It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Encounters with Polly
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:22 pm 

There was a thread in the old forum on pjharvey.net where a few lucky people told how they got to meet Polly in flesh, however brief or awkward it was...
I enjoyed very much reading these stories, so if anyone here has ever met face to face with Polly, please step out and tell us !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:46 pm 

Location: The Black Country, England, Great Britain, UK - in that order
olivier101 wrote:
There was a thread in the old forum on pjharvey.net where a few lucky people told how they got to meet Polly in flesh, however brief or awkward it was...
I enjoyed very much reading these stories, so if anyone here has ever met face to face with Polly, please step out and tell us !

cue Aurora :wink: lucky girl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:04 pm 

mart wrote:
cue Aurora :wink: lucky girl

aha... (waiting)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:12 pm 

I just walked by a striking Polly lookalike... But I doubt she would mingle with the crowd at Luxembourg station.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:11 am 

:lol:

I've told this story so many times tho! I feel like a braggart haha

I'll see if I can find one of my prev posts.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:25 am 

Aurora wrote:

it's probably lost in one of the other versions of The Garden but I met Polly early in 2008 in Melbourne. Her Mum and Mick Harvey too.

I didn't say anything of note! Mortifying! :eyeroll:

Mick appeared first, taking stuff out to his car I guess....had a handful of dip and some crackers he'd lifted from the backstage area.....he let me take a photo with him.....we told him how awesome it was they played The River .... he said he was surprised it came off so well since they hadn't rehearsed it or anything.....then he went back inside and I guess he told her we were waiting for her.

we waited ages for Polly.....finally she came out...no pictures allowed!

her mum chatted to my friend about the organic supermarket in melbourne...and beetroot dip - Eva said she wanted to make some for Polly...
in fact, my friend got so caught up chatting with Eva she didn't even get to talk to Polly!
Eva had a Stories t-shirt on ;)

I honestly don't know exactly what I said ... it was very surreal....I'm pretty sure I thanked her for playing Rid of Me at my request in Brisbane which of course led to 'oh you came to a few shows' ....but we all had to take our turn..so it really wasn't long!
she signed my book ... then this girl who was waiting for her with us starting saying how she'd missed the show blahblah - Polly was quite sympathetic...at that point I moved over and said Hello to Maria again....I'd told her in Sydney how much I liked Reeling. She said she remembered me...we chatted a bit about how I'd been to a few shows, and how she was recording it all. I was like 'it probably seems a bit weird! But I'm a huge fan' haha. She said 'no no, it's sweet' (sure~! bahahaha) She said she was very tired....probably from having her face to the camera all the time....(she was even at the back of the venue when we all came in)
I remember much more from chatting to Maria I guess cause I was sooooo freakin' nervous in front of Polly. ( :eek: ) haha

Polly is tiny as we're all aware of ...but in person it is more noticable.... quite a bit smaller than me...and yes, the 'large' head ppl refer to .... but she was beautiful and quite calm. She had all white on, and fishnets and black shiny shoes.....she had a kind of glow haha.
maybe it's her 'post performance glow' ... like pregnant ladies get 'cause they're all happy :lol:

then they all piled in the back of a silver 4wd and off they went ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:37 am 

Thank you Aurora... :)
Just curious, who said that pictures were not allowed ?

(beetroot dip, really ?????)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:27 am 

thats so cool :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:41 am 

Polly of course! :lol:

some person came out and said, yes, she will come out, but no pictures, at her request...

yep - beetroot dip :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:09 am 

Aurora wrote:
yep - beetroot dip :lol: :lol:

I hate beetroot... I feel sick just writing the word !! :sick:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:08 pm 

If I was ever given the opportunity to talk to Polly, I'd probably be too shy and intimidated to talk with her (I'm really shy around people I look up to, like my upperclassman in high-school). And later I'd be banging my head against a wall for not having the guts to have a conversation. I'm pretty sure this is exactly how it would happen :blush: . Come to think of it I'd probably be less shy around Tori Amos; she's all southern and mommy-like. If I met either of them I'd want to ask them about how you get noticed and advice for a musician starting out, they're probably full of knowledge on that. Jeez, just thinking about meeting my idols makes my nervous :???: .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:35 am 

Tori encourages it though --- they set it up for the Meet & Greets ... and she hugs everyone! haha she was absolutely lovely :)
(met her last november - but that's not too rare - most towns they have the M&Gs)

There's no chance you can ever let them know in a minute or two the impact they've had on you through their music.

......and, in a way it's like - well where do you go from there? haha

I'm hoping she comes to Oz again next year, and I'll go to as many shows as I can again, but I don't think I'll try and meet her again. I felt kind of...guilty... afterwards because I know she guards her privacy closely....but then it's like - well you're here in my country; I admire you endlessly - I can't help wanting to meet you! ;)