It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:43 pm 

well, i've already told about it but one of my friends said that she's playing metal (Rid Of Me), and my family was thinking it's a man singing (I Think I'm A Mother or something like that) :eyeroll:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:18 pm 

I usually study with music. The other day some friends of mine came to the place I study at to visit and 4-track demos was playing. They said: "why are you listening to this demoniac music? It looks like it's been brought from hell!"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:11 pm 

I new of PJ Harvey before I started listening to her music, but I honestly thought that she was a man (because when your hear PJ, its sort of like how they call some boys DJ & stuff). That was before I heard her music. I must have discovered her back around December or January, and now I own every PJ album. I got them from itunes. I was hooked from the first time i heard to bring you my love.
Anyways, I found these videos a guy on you tube made about PJ Harvey and sexism in the music industry. He makes some good points:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lplx-Be8BtM (part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6OVVKWV ... re=related (part 2)

He talks in the video about the outlandish things that the press has called her. They are so funny, my favorite is "man-hating axe-wielding demon :laugh: :laugh:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:41 pm 

Does anybody prefer the iTunes Originals Version of The Darker Days of Me and Him over the album version? I absolutely love it. From her innocent "ready?" at the beginning to her sadder tone throughout the song. The part that bugs me the most about the album version is the "no neurosis..." part, she sounds really annoying vocally.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:13 pm 

Shadowboxer wrote:
Does anybody prefer the iTunes Originals Version of The Darker Days of Me and Him over the album version?

I can't say that I prefer it; both give me chills each and every time... but the iTunes version is especially intense...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:15 am 

I love that live version when she palys with some cello player (don't remember the name :B) sounds great!!!
:}

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:47 pm 

sonfo wrote:
I usually study with music. The other day some friends of mine came to the place I study at to visit and 4-track demos was playing. They said: "why are you listening to this demoniac music? It looks like it's been brought from hell!"

I played Rid Of Me to people and they always have this same really strong reaction to it, like "what on earth??" The only person I know IRL who likes PJ is my Dad who bought that and Stories and Uh Huh Her.

I love my dad :green:

Last edited by Asherah on Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:52 pm 

megique wrote:
well, i've already told about it but one of my friends said that she's playing metal (Rid Of Me), and my family was thinking it's a man singing (I Think I'm A Mother or something like that) :eyeroll:

Don't you know she's a man really? It's all an act :laugh:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:10 pm 

Serious question: what is the tune that plays in the beginning of "Hook" on the 4TD version? I sounds like russian but I wouldn't bet my life on it...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:17 pm 

olivier101 wrote:
Serious question: what is the tune that plays in the beginning of "Hook" on the 4TD version? I sounds like russian but I wouldn't bet my life on it...

It's definitely russian :) If I get it right - the woman sings "I don't remember pain or fear. Only a flash from behind the *** (and I'm not sure behind what ^^" ). Only a black glow in the snow. I forgot my name and I can't remember" Kind of like a soldier's song from a war front? Sorry, I am not that good in translating, but I could ask my mum tomorrow morning if she knows this one ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:52 pm 

Thanks :) Yes please ask her... it would be interesting to know if it's from a known tune.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:11 pm 

Found this http://www.happycow.net/famous/pj_harvey
"PJ Harvey is a vegetarian British singer and musician"
Really?

Apparently the comment about fox hunting is real: http://www.nme.com/news/pj-harvey/561
While I mightily hate hunting and hunters, I understand what she meant, and I think it was a bit of a storm in a teacup...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:26 pm 
Site Admin

There's a video clip of the fox hunting remark somewhere I believe. I think it led to her avoiding "political" comments thereafter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:29 am 

Hell and High Water wrote:
There's a video clip of the fox hunting remark somewhere I believe. I think it led to her avoiding "political" comments thereafter.

Don't blame her! I was brought up on a farm and foxes and BSE are undoubtedly the worst memories I have of it. Fox hunting is cruel, but you don't see people doing anything else about it so until, the hunt is the only way to attempt to control it.

Also, she's not a veg is she? I remember her saying she eats a lot of fish and the best compliment towards anyone is to eat them. I presumed this applied to chickens etc.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:37 am 
Site Admin

She watches what she eats, but I don't know if she's vegetarian. She has said in interviews that after being way too thin, she now is more careful about what she eats. I have a rider for one of her shows, lots of "preferably organic" items on it, canned fish. Beer and wine.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next