It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:58 am 

Location: The Black Country, England, Great Britain, UK - in that order
Polly_Jean_Cave wrote:
Shadowboxer wrote:
Civil War Correspondent is such a perfect song. I love John's "mhhhmmmmmm"s in the background and PJ's "ahhhhhhhh"s.
Would anyone be interested in a Save My Fave PJ/JP edition? The Polly albums one was fun.

Isn't it just! And "Un Cercle Autour Du Soleil" is excellent too. Infact, I thought that whole album was really good. Why no one else seems to like it is beyond me.

i like it a lot & being fortunate to have gone to several of the shows last year i went back & listened to Dance Hall a lot - brilliant album in my eyes....but it did high-light just how good live music can be compared to the studio stuff that's put out - the live stuff is loads better :shades:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:56 am 

Polly_Jean_Cave wrote:
Shadowboxer wrote:
Civil War Correspondent is such a perfect song. I love John's "mhhhmmmmmm"s in the background and PJ's "ahhhhhhhh"s.
Would anyone be interested in a Save My Fave PJ/JP edition? The Polly albums one was fun.

Isn't it just! And "Un Cercle Autour Du Soleil" is excellent too. Infact, I thought that whole album was really good. Why no one else seems to like it is beyond me.

Are you talking about Dance Hall??

This one and ROM are always in a fight to be my PJ #1 all time album

<3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:14 pm 

If this has come up in the past I apologize but I wonder why the White Chalk album was so short? At under 34min the UK vinyl could be pressed to play at 45rpm. I didn't know this until I bought one at a local shop yesterday. The N.A pressing plays at 33 1/3.

For a fleeting moment I thought the drive was gone in my turntable when The Devil was playing rather slow :shocked:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:40 pm 

karloz wrote:
Polly_Jean_Cave wrote:
Shadowboxer wrote:

Are you talking about Dance Hall??

This one and ROM are always in a fight to be my PJ #1 all time album

<3

Yes. Heela kills, first time I heard taut I couldn't believe how unbelievably cool it was. When I first heard city of no sun. I loved the shift from somewhat calm and relaxed to shrieking and screaming in the highest register on earth lol. The whole album is killer =)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:00 am 
Site Admin

Heela is the Led Zeppelin of PJ Harvey's catalog. If you know what I mean.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:11 am 

Hell and High Water wrote:
Heela is the Led Zeppelin of PJ Harvey's catalog. If you know what I mean.

Couldn't agree more! Though, the begining seems somewhat Pink Floyd-ish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:41 am 

Just curious, what's everyone's most played PJ song? Mine's Catherine with 317 plays.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:03 am 

my top pj/jp is taut with 162 and top just pj song is sheela-na-gig with 143. taut was number one for the longest time but recently has been surpassed by running up that hill by kate bush

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:45 am 

Shadowboxer wrote:
Just curious, what's everyone's most played PJ song? Mine's Catherine with 317 plays.

There was a while ago when I couldn't stop palying Catherine. That song is just like nothing you ever hear really. The combination of Keyboard and bass creates quite a swelling effect. Its almost as if the music is being played above the actual song. And No Girl So Sweet has always been addictive. The interchangeability between her scream and that instrument is great.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:56 am 
Site Admin

Plays? Ha, this is a very modern concept. How do you keep track? I mean I know ways to do it, but how to *you* do it?

This is subtly different than, "what is your favorite PJ song?" but still it is the same yes?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:20 am 

Problem is, I listen to PJ on so many different devices, there is no way I can have an exact count.
I would like to know, though!
But since I mostly listen to whole albums or in random mode, and rarely skip a song, I guess every song gets more or less the same airtime.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:56 am 

Well, I actually do have a most played song list on my nano. Trouble is I can't get an actual number.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:17 pm 

my numbers came from itunes, but the numbers on my last.fm are different, and then there's cds and lps in the mix, and everything that gets lost in translation... so estimate?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:36 pm 

yarnforhair wrote:
my numbers came from itunes, but the numbers on my last.fm are different, and then there's cds and lps in the mix, and everything that gets lost in translation... so estimate?

Haha. I used to have a last.fm account. Never felt the need to use it. Occasionally I listen to stuff online. But mostly my playlist consists of only my ipod. I listen to her at least twice a day..a few songs here and there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:39 pm 

yarnforhair wrote:
my top pj/jp is taut with 162 and top just pj song is sheela-na-gig with 143. taut was number one for the longest time but recently has been surpassed by running up that hill by kate bush

'Taut'...;-) and I have always loved 'Yuri G'.

Re. 'Taut' - I don't know if this has been posted at The Garden before but someone made a video to go with 'Taut'; quite good and it goes well with Polly's very creepy, eerie vocals at the start...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z89Cy_5JaDk

Should give a mention to 'Memphis' too. Wonderful song.

Mark Steel

Last edited by sau on Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next