It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:33 pm 

DrDark wrote:
DrDark wrote:
Polly is a great performer and songwriter, but her best instrument is her voice.

She's a damn good lyricist as well. This just in via a blog post on PJ's Myspace:

"PJ Harvey In This Week’s NME – April 14th, 2010

We thought you may be interested in checking out the current issue of NME where PJ Harvey is cited as one of the best lyric writers in their feature on Rock’s Greatest Lyricists."

It appears from the nme web site that we may be able to read this edition online next week.

NME has used a photo from this shoot:

Here are the words:

'Now 40 years old, Dorset's PJ Harvey is unlike any lyricist ever, regardless of gender

It seems like law that any successful female lyric writer must be likened to PJ Harvey. But how many would dare to pen a song about infanticide, as PJ did with 'Down By The Water'? Critics have tried to label her a feminist, and with songs like 'Sheela-na-gig' you can see why. Named after disturbing medieval carvings of women, it perverts '60s girl group lyrics that "wash that man right out of my hair". But she's not really a feminist - Polly rarely judges, and often inhabits male as well as female bodies, a notable example being 2007's piano-heavy 'White Chalk'. Any musician worth their salt - whatever gender - should strive for comparison to such an individual lyricist.' LS

KEY LYRIC: "It's hard to walk in the dress, it's noy easy/I'm spilling over like a heavy loaded fruit tree" 'Dress', from 'Dry', 1992

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:50 pm 

I knew someone who was in a band once and they rehearsed with My Bloody Valentine. I was very impressed when she told me that; and she was good friends with Kevin Shields. The 'Loveless' album was a revelation when I first heard it. Like nothing else around.

Johnny Marr - Oh, I would love to see him and Polly work together. Decent bloke too.

"It's like turning your daydreams into sound"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm1e4DnRiAM

Mark Steel