It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Lyrics sheets
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:00 am 

TheNightingale wrote:
In the mailing sent out today about “Prayer at the Gate” there is a picture of a studio note reading OCTOBER MIXES that mentions LCO, which I assume is London Contemporary Orchestra (who have worked, among others, with Radiohead / Thom Yorke / Jonny Greenwood / The Smile).

I think this is the second time I see them mentioned in Polly’s studio notes so it’s possible they were seriously considered for at least some of the I Inside… songs. I wonder if actual recording sessions with them took place? Who arranged the strings? I guess we’ll never know but the idea of Polly singing backed by an orchestral ensemble is very interesting.

https://preview.mailerlite.io/emails/we ... 7753557393

That's really cool... You know that the other day I was watching a video from the Amoeba channel, a segment called "What's in my bag?" in which musicians choose records from the store, and a lady with great taste chose the IITOYD vinyl, and commented that Polly had recorded a more band-oriented and grander version of the album, but she showed the result to a friend and he convinced her to re-recorded it as the more personal and stripped-back version we know today. This kinda corroborates what that lady said.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:40 am 

Oh my, that’s fascinating! Just checked Amoeba’s channel (love the What’s in My Bag series BTW) and the person Elliot is referring to is Meshell Ndegeocello, she talks about I Inside… at 8:18.

Quote:
Okay, I got a story about this one, it’s the new PJ Harvey record. I’m going to leave out names because I don’t know if they’re okay with me telling this story. So apparently this record was already made, alright? And then they played it or a friend, and the friend was like, “I don’t know. Maybe…? What happened to you playing this stuff, and not being so band-oriented?” And so I think, when you hear this, I’m so glad that friend persuaded her to go back and make it more her stuff. I’ve been listening to this all week and lyrically, just one of my favourite lyricists, and then just the musicianship… It’s my hope to be this good one day, you know?

I guess this would explain why some song lyric sheets are dating back to 2018/19 and why Polly said in one of the interviews that making the album cost her a lot of money lol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:07 am 

^^^
That's a fascinating little clip!

The thing that struck me on the draft poems is the inclusion of the specific dates (1st Jan 1978 and 1st Jan 1979) on Prayer at the Gate. That sets the time-frame exactly in the year that Polly herself turned 9. I can see why she took that out, both to make it more "timeless" and to avoid more suspicions that it's all really autobiographical despite her protestations!