It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:05 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lplx-Be8BtM

some interesting comments there.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:42 pm 

Thanks Dr. Dark.

Love the bit when he says, "That's when she came into my life"...cue Polly's guitar. :-)

Comments from mattius44 on his clip:

'A project for my Media and Culture class. Enjoy.

Inspired by the fact that many of my male friends refuse to listen to PJ Harvey because she is a "female artist."'

!

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:36 am 

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6OVVKWV21Q

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:05 pm 

This is such an important short film. It's more than refreshing to finally hear some serious analysis of this idea that Polly is a "female artist". Anyone remember that BUST magazine interviewer, or should I say recruiter, trying to get Polly to admit she is a "feminist".

BUST Interviewer: I want to change gears here and ask something else. Considering the legions of female fans that you have, I find it interesting that you've distanced yourself from feminism in the past. What do you think about that?

Polly: About what?

BUST Interviewer: [Laughs] About feminism.

Polly: I don't ever think about it. I mean, it doesn't cross my mind. I certainly don't think in terms of gender when I'm writing songs, and I never had any problems as the result of being female that I couldn't get over. Maybe I'm not thankful for the thinks that have gone before me, you know. But I don't see that there's any need to be aware of being a woman in this business. It just seems a waste of time.

BUST Interviewer: Well, what about apart from this business, just in the world?

Polly: I don't know, I'm probably a bit thick about it all, because I don't…

BUST Interviewer: Perhaps it's the terminology; what does the word mean to you?

Polly: I feel like it means unification of women and strength; trying to support each other.

BUST Interviewer: So then wouldn't you want to offer your support to young women who look up to you?

And then came the best line of the interview when Polly sums up her notion of camaraderie between musicians, "No, I don’t offer it [support] specifically to women; I offer it to people who write music. That's a lot of men".

Owen! Food! Don't you in-a-minute momma me! Get off your fat little ass or I'll break it for you! I want two soft-boiled eggs, white toast, and some of that grape jelly, God Damnit! And don't burn the toast! Move it, fat boy!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:20 pm 

GerriSferrazza wrote:
This is such an important short film. It's more than refreshing to finally hear some serious analysis of this idea that Polly is a "female artist". Anyone remember that BUST magazine interviewer, or should I say recruiter, trying to get Polly to admit she is a "feminist".

BUST Interviewer: I want to change gears here and ask something else. Considering the legions of female fans that you have, I find it interesting that you've distanced yourself from feminism in the past. What do you think about that?

Polly: About what?

BUST Interviewer: [Laughs] About feminism.

Polly: I don't ever think about it. I mean, it doesn't cross my mind. I certainly don't think in terms of gender when I'm writing songs, and I never had any problems as the result of being female that I couldn't get over. Maybe I'm not thankful for the thinks that have gone before me, you know. But I don't see that there's any need to be aware of being a woman in this business. It just seems a waste of time.

BUST Interviewer: Well, what about apart from this business, just in the world?

Polly: I don't know, I'm probably a bit thick about it all, because I don't…

BUST Interviewer: Perhaps it's the terminology; what does the word mean to you?

Polly: I feel like it means unification of women and strength; trying to support each other.

BUST Interviewer: So then wouldn't you want to offer your support to young women who look up to you?

And then came the best line of the interview when Polly sums up her notion of camaraderie between musicians, "No, I don’t offer it [support] specifically to women; I offer it to people who write music. That's a lot of men".

Thanks GerriSferrazza. I saw your comments on the first part. Maybe you could inform Matt of this forum. Did you see enigmafia89's comments? I love hearing about recent converts to Polly and wonder about the great discovery of Polly's back catalogue for them. They are a fan of Jeff Buckley too. Direct them to this, if you can. Thanks. I love this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcSkSTGrubo

Mark Steel