It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: New Video - The Camp
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:36 am 

This song has quickly grown on me I must say. I only listened to it once when it first came out, (which is extremely rare for me with any PJ song!) because I just didn't feel much for it...only small parts of it. I agree that it sounded like 3 songs mixed together on first listen.
I went back to give it another listen the next day and I felt completely different. I really love it now. Much different impression on second listen. It does appear simple and catchy, but it has layers of sound which make it very much a PJ Harvey song. Love the drumming. Rami's verse is lovely too.

Yes_No_Maybe_So wrote:
AineteEkaterini wrote:
Yes_No_Maybe_So wrote:
... some external assistance ...

How so ...?

Seemed immediately obvious to me ever since she started promoting this album. But no one else has raised the subject (as far as I know), which I thought was maybe out of respect for her, not wanting to be appear gossipy, etc.

Really? I honestly don't see a difference in her face between Let England Shake and this album. The only obvious difference to me is the stronger makeup and different hairstyle. I've always had the impression that she has always taken extremely good care of herself & has made health a priority. (Obviously with the exception of some periods where she has spoken about being unwell, ie.. 1995/1996/1997). So I always put her ageing well down to this.
But even if she did decide to have 'external help', it wouldn't change the way I feel about her or her music a single bit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:09 pm 

When the song was released I couldn't quite make out all the lyrics, but now that they're up on Polly's official site, seems to me this is what William Blake would be doing if he were living now!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:14 pm 

Mr. Badmouth wrote:
... what William Blake would be doing ...

You're right, that's very Blakean. I'm increasingly interested in Blake - I mean, a serious heretic, obviously, but his heart was in the right place!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:52 am 

Oops, I just listened to the song again, turns out I DID make out all the lyrics, it's just that the lyrics I thought I didn't make out aren't there at all in the recording.
Yes, Blake is very interesting indeed - so very modern in many ways.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:03 pm 

I'll confess I wasn't that familiar with William Blake. WHAT an interesting character he was!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Blake