All times are UTC

Post subject: New Video - The Camp
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:04 am 

Post subject: Re: New Video - The Camp
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:25 am 

More info at the Guardian.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:40 am 

You know I like it, but if she mentions 'The Children' one more time I will puke. Adults suffer just as much and don't give that 'innocence' bullshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:42 am 

^ And the award for the most bitter comment on the message board goes to...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:02 am 

I'm sorry if that was bitter, it's absolutely devastating what is happening to refugee children. But it's just iffy song writing at this point.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:39 am 

http://www.thegardenforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2471

http://legacyofwar.com/camp-pj-harvey-ramy-essam-images-legacy-war/

http://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/208064/9

http://diymag.com/2017/06/07/pj-harvey-ramy-essam-new-video-the-camp-watch

"Speaking of how the track came together PJ explained: “I began putting some ideas on paper, and sent over rough demos of two or three songs in their early forms”."

"The following is an excerpt from Ramy Essam's verse of The Camp, translated from Egyptian to English: "I wish I had wings to fly away, far away. Meet smiley faces who never ask where I came from; not to ask about colour, race, or religion. What difference does it make if we're all humans? No wars, no limits, no borders. Earth is everyone's right.”

Music Video Credits:
Video edited by Rick Holbrook
Photographs provided by Giles Duley
Studio footage provided by Ramy Essam

Sound Recording Credits:
PJ Harvey: Vocals, piano, shaker
Ramy Essam: Vocals, acoustic guitar
John Parish: Drums, bass, electric & acoustic guitars
Produced and mixed by John Parish
Recorded by Oliver Baldwin at J&J Studios, Bristol"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:49 pm 

Cartman wrote:
...iffy song writing...

It's simple, yet catchy, and despite the language that some might find pathetical, I don't detect any pretentiousness - it's just as observation-based as all "H6DP" songs, probably goes from the same first-hand accounts as "A Line In The Sand" (in other words, if she prayed and then Angel did came, I think she would have described how exactly this Angel have descended). I'm not an expert in songwriting, but I think the song is really good, especially the last "hook". Plus, it's a proper music video! And it's not leaving a viewer with sore bitterness (thank God it's not some shallow pop-tearjerker), because talent makes PJ able to write "life-provoking" songs about very dark subject matters.

Its message seems clear - if there is no direct divine intervention (although it's not how religion works, btw), then we should do something ourselves (which is much more
in terms with religion, and also it's another parallel with "A Line In The Sand").

Oh, and I really liked the editing in this video.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:40 pm 

I like the song. It's nowhere near her best material, of course, but given the fact that it was probably written and recorded quite quickly, in between tour legs, it's fine. Simple and catchy, like best protest songs - therefore fitting nicely with "Shaker Aamer". And her willingness to bring attention and donate profits (remember to buy it on Friday y'all!) to such worthy causes makes me admire her even more. <3

And as much as I like Giles Duley's photography, the editing in the video is in my opinion atrocious. :D Looks a bit like the work of an ADD teen who just discovered iMovie.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:37 pm 

Kuk91 wrote:

She doesn't even have one single wrinkle on her skin, she must be family with Keanu Reeves in some way

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:52 pm 

Once again I have cause to thank Polly, this time for putting the appalling business of the UK general election into context. There's always something you can do in the cause of humanity : )

It does sound a bit like those three demo songs have remained sort of bolted together without being completely digested as they might have been had there been more time, but considering how dreadful the results usually are when musicians turn to politics, it's beguiling. The enthusiasm and sentiment carries it. And I like her plinky-plonky piano playing, that's how I do it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:55 pm 

It's on Spotify… but I am looking for a lossless shop. Can't find it on Qobuz and 7digital and other lossless stores.

Anyone?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:46 am 

karloz wrote:

She doesn't even have one single wrinkle on her skin, she must be family with Keanu Reeves in some way

yea well, she's had some external assistance on that front.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:09 am 

Yes_No_Maybe_So wrote:
... some external assistance ...

How so ...? I just put it down to avoiding marriage, relationships, children, and other angst-producing circumstances : )

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:05 am 

AineteEkaterini wrote:
Yes_No_Maybe_So wrote:
... some external assistance ...

How so ...?

Seemed immediately obvious to me ever since she started promoting this album. But no one else has raised the subject (as far as I know), which I thought was maybe out of respect for her, not wanting to be appear gossipy, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:49 pm 

Now look, it's graceless even to get into this area, but ... Never in this world!!! The fact that I had to probe it out of you showed that the thought had never so much as flitted across my mind! I've always thought the Polly-and-the-fountain-of-youth comments you see are a bit exaggerated. If you look at photos that aren't taken under optimum conditions with light shining full on her face you can see the marks of the decades clearly enough, and I think it's the fact that she still has that overall adolescent physique that creates the impression of youth.

Right, I think these two posts represent both poles of opinion on the matter so hopefully that goes no further ... !