It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:44 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:26 am 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2016/on-kosovo-field

""On Kosovo Field" is a new drama written by Fin Kennedy that grew out of the body of work created by PJ Harvey on and after a journey to Kosovo, told over five episodes this January and featuring unreleased song demos (!!) from the musician woven through."

"On Kosovo Field is broadcast on Radio 4 on Monday 9 – Friday 13 January at 10.45am and the five episodes are repeated each day at 7.45pm."

"Writer Fin Kennedy’s starting point was Harvey’s rich material, and the images from the songs and poems are weaved through the drama as well as the song demos themselves. Kennedy and producer Nadia Molinari also travelled to Kosovo, where they retraced some of Harvey’s steps and also spent time talking to journalists, politicians and human rights activists currently working on conflict resolution and reconciliation in Kosovo.

On Kosovo Field is the search for an identity via a road trip back through a lost heritage. The two central characters are two Kosovan-born siblings Rebeka (played by Michelle Keegan) and her younger brother Dardan (played by Nico Mirallegro) who were brought to Manchester as unaccompanied minors under a special evacuation programme during the conflict in 1999. The siblings, now adults, return to Kosovo after a mass grave is discovered close to their native village.

They discover a young nation striving to forge a path for hope and reconciliation and realise that they too must journey into their past to move on. They carry a set of keys, given to them by a neighbour before they left, offering the chance to unlock their home and, with it, their memories. They are forced to confront the painful truth of what happened to their parents."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:00 pm 

So, we might expect to hear some bits of demos for "Chain of Keys" and "The Wheel". Possibly "A Line In The Sand" and "I'll Be Waiting" (not sure about "location" of these). And maybe "Imagine This" (although it might be not a separate song, but an early version of "Chain of Keys" as it was suggested by Romario).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:58 pm 

Brilliant, thank you for the advance notice. All very metareferential, using Polly's meditations on a political situation as a means for exploring that situation!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:56 pm 

Very, very interesting. Here in Serbia, there is still a lot of tension about Kosovo, but I can honestly say that Polly has provided me with much more substantial information than many people who keep harping on about it in that she actually went there and talked to the ordinary people whose lives have been irretrievably affected. Stuff such as The Abandoned Village or Chain of Keys tells you what 1000 political sloganeering commonplace speeches couldn't, and it sounds like this play will do that too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:42 pm 

Mr Badmouth, I'd forgotten that you are in Serbia. Do you know anything about Fr Sava Janjic at Decani and how he is viewed? The notes to 'Hope Six' imply that Seamus Murphy and Polly met him.

It's not *completely* off-topic!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:25 am 

Yes, I have heard of him, but not more than what you can find out if you google him. I know I certainly wish there were more people like him, willing to listen to their own heart and brain, rather than to propaganda, but I don't really know how others perceive him. I was only 4 during the Kosovo War so all the information I can get is very secondhand. In actual fact, Kosovo is as foreign to me as it is to you, as no part of my family comes from anywhere remotely close. I am from Vojvodina, which is the northern part of Serbia, and used to be Austro-Hungarian territory not that long ago. It's not even part of the Balkan Peninsula geographically. So to me, and I would take the liberty to say, to most people in Vojvodina, the Kosovo conflict is really daunting, as we are somehow implied, but most of us can't really know where to stand.

It might be completely off topic now! :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:22 pm 

Ah OK. Thank you anyway, I thought it was worth asking! And yes, we'll leave it there ...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:02 pm 

No problem, I wish I could be of more help!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:34 pm 

Kuk91 wrote:
So, we might expect to hear some bits of demos for "Chain of Keys" and "The Wheel". Possibly "A Line In The Sand" and "I'll Be Waiting" (not sure about "location" of these). And maybe "Imagine This" (although it might be not a separate song, but an early version of "Chain of Keys" as it was suggested by Romario).

Someone should record it from the radio, and after all episodes are released I'll try to cut out those demos (I think they might use different bits in each episode, hence it might be like puzzle or something).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:21 pm 

little bit of a preview here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b086ky3j

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:37 pm 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b087prhb

Episode 1 of 5 : unreleased song demo of 'Chain of Keys'
Episode 2 of 5 : unreleased song demo 'Pity for the Old Road'
Episode 3 of 5 : unreleased song demos of 'The Wheel' and 'The Red Road'
Episode 4 of 5 : unreleased song demo 'Dance on the Mountain'
Episode 5 of 5 : unreleased song demos 'Where is Our City?' and 'Clothes of Grief'

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am 

Amnesiac wrote:
Episode 1 of 5 : unreleased song demo of 'Chain of Keys'
Episode 2 of 5 : unreleased song demo 'Pity for the Old Road'
Episode 3 of 5 : unreleased song demos of 'The Wheel' and 'The Red Road'
Episode 4 of 5 : unreleased song demo 'Dance on the Mountain'
Episode 5 of 5 : unreleased song demos 'Where is Our City?' and 'Clothes of Grief'

Thanks for the info, the only obstacle is "woven through" part, which probably means that outside noises and voices are ensured. I guess the majority of fans would prefer if these demos were released as EP or something.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:12 pm 

I was waiting with bated breath for the first episode to come on this morning and as it began, my 11.30am appointment arrived 45 minutes ahead of time. 'Sorry I'm early'. Yes, you are, aren't you. And you are lucky the BBC radio iPlayer is still free, I have to say.

So far it seems as though you're not going to get much out of these recordings in terms of listenable music, but frankly although it's interesting to have a basic jangly guitar arrangement of Chain of Keys, it's not earth-shatteringly unexpected. The spare version works much better as accompaniment to the drama than the full recording would have done, I think. The drama itself is a little stilted but the point's well enough made and I'm encouraged to hear the rest.

And of course there's the sheer pride (if that's not too strange an emotion) that Polly's work is shaping the thinking and responses of other artists, and in an entirely different field to hers. I think that's wonderful.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:11 pm 

Nice music! I'm so in need to hear new stuff
what about that guitar riff? isn't Chain to me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:15 am 

More politics, and a good thing too:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... -pj-harvey