It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 801 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 54  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:48 am 

Last edited by Blackie on Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:42 am 

From the uncut article, apparently she isn't doing interviews on this album. Seamus, Flood, and John were interviewed but the article said Polly declined to be interviewed on the album.

Also, Flood says 18 songs were recorded- including the song "Guilty", which he says was one of his favorites but was left of because it sounded like it was " from a different place in time" than the other tracks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:02 am 

Last edited by Blackie on Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:01 am 

http://dl-home.com/uncut-may-2016/

Last edited by Kuk91 on Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:25 am 

DrDark wrote:
It's interesting that Homo Sappy Blues appears to be the first of the new songs registered, followed by the 11 that made it onto the album and then the final 5 that didn't make the cut.

Well, "Homo Sappy Blues" was intended to be a lead single BEFORE the recording.

DrDark wrote:
19 DANCE ON THE MOUNTAIN 890110013
73 PITY FOR THE OLD ROAD 890110021

These are came from the published poems.

DrDark wrote:
103 THE RED ROAD 890110022

This one might be based on the poem "On a dirt road".

Kujjj wrote:
Also, Flood says 18 songs were recorded...

Haven't read the article yet, but looks like it's THESE 19 minus "The Boy": 11 album tracks + "Homo Sappy Blues" + "Imagine This", "Guilty", "UNHCR", "I'll Be Waiting", "Age of the Dollar" and "A Dog Called Money".

DrDark wrote:
18 CLOTHES OF GRIEF 890110011
117 WHERE IS OUR CITY 890110024

These are very interesting titles. Maybe that's initial titles, or some reworked songs (I see how "CLOTHES OF GRIEF" might be related to "I'll Be Waiting").

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:19 pm 

Kujjj wrote:
...Polly declined to be interviewed on the album.

I kinda predicted that on the previous page: "maybe she doesn't want to comment on the "separate parts" of the project until we see everything" (book, album, live shows, documentary).
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Uncut", page 74:

"A Line In The Sand" gazes on camps of displaced families; "The Ministry Of Defence", which features Linton Kwesi Johnson, is a kingdom of syringes, razors and graffiti.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:29 pm 

Thanks for the magazine link!! It was a really satisfying read despite her not being interviewed. It was nice to see the big picture timeline of the project - what a huge and ambitious undertaking this was. I find this her most impressive album creation process.

It was nice to see her little inner-dialogue notes: "Don’t say the word ‘plums’.... Think hard about what I can get a song out of; plums not good for song." It's not surprising that Seamus said she knew a lot about the areas they visited before they even got there. She is a master of research, and I see her using the internet a lot more now. People saying she should have spoken to DC locals are obviously misinformed because she did. She really seemed incorporated in every place she visited. I think she was the most fascinated by Afghanistan since she spent the longest time there out of the other visits.

I wonder if Seamus lost important footage when he was mugged and had his camera stolen. He's still working on the videos and hasn't worked on the film. Maybe we can expect that by the end of the year or likely the next one. The tour preview seems cool too - I wonder if they're going to show images/footage of the places during the performances.

Finally, I loved this quote:

"Imaginatively, anyone who loves her music will know she finds a scary place - and goes there. Most of us instinctively avoid the dragons. Polly’s instinct is to march right up to them and ask them if they’ve seen any good movies lately.”

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:13 pm 

For those who read French, Les Inrockuptibles made an article about "Hope Six Demolition Project": http://special.lesinrocks.com/reader/is ... 1447522382

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:11 pm 

http://www.washingtonian.com/2016/03/22/seamus-murphy-pj-harvey-washington-dc/

While in DC for a two-week songwriting expedition through the city’s poorest neighborhoods, British indie rock artist PJ Harvey binge-watched "House of Cards". The viewing experience didn’t inspire any lyrics about Frank or Claire Underwood, says Irish war photographer and Harvey collaborator Seamus Murphy, who joined her on the trip, but it did solidify an important idea about the nature of Harvey’s sojourn: she was an outsider who had come to take notes, tour Washington, and then write about those specific experiences alone.

“You’re there to observe and let that place tell you something about itself,” says Murphy. “You don’t say ‘I’m going to do a hatchet job on DC because it’s the central power in America.'”

<...>

Murphy dismisses these reactions as acts of flippant political opportunism—attempts by local government officials to ride the coattails of a hot-button topic into public awareness. “I think it’s people defending their own patch,” says Murphy, who shot the song’s music video. “Would those people become upset if [Harvey] talked about poverty or problems in Afghanistan or Kosovo? You probably wouldn’t have heard a word from them.”

Murphy’s relationship with the city’s residents themselves is a bit more complicated. While shooting footage in Anacostia alone one evening this January, he was mugged and robbed of nearly $4,000 worth of camera equipment. The incident, which DC police confirm, forced him to get stitches in his head. “It never happened to me in Afghanistan,” says Murphy. “Put that in your pipe and smoke it, ex-mayor, or whoever his name is.”

Still, Murphy says he and Harvey found Anacostia to be a “warm community” filled with “lovely people,” feelings that Murphy says permeate on the “affectionate” upcoming Hope Six ballad titled “River Anacostia.” During their 2014 visit to DC, they toured the area with local business owner Musa Ulusan of Mama’s Pizza Kitchen and visited some of the town’s churches. Murphy has since returned alone on two occasions too, staying in Airbnbs there both times. “People say you shouldn’t drive through it, or even get out of the car,” Murphy says about Anacostia. “Even though I got hammered over the head, I’d definitely go back.”

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:25 pm 

NOTE from Moderator DrDark: Do NOT click on the image of the Mojo review on the original .ru site. That site is not trustworthy. See the post down below I have made which is a larger (more readable) image of the MOJO Review.

MOJO review:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:50 pm 

Sounds like its gonna be a good one:)- 4 stars is the highest Mojo gives right? From the sounds of it, it seems like there will be a ton of sax.
One thing I noticed from the review- the line in the review quoting "A Line in the Sand" "What we did, why we did it, I make no excuse, we got things wrong, but I believe we also did some good' is almost identical to a line in UNHCR.
If you look at the page for UNHCR, you can see some lyrics for a line in the sand at the bottom of the page.
http://cl.ly/ZrAr/o

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:06 pm 

Kujjj wrote:
One thing I noticed from the review- the line in the review quoting "A Line in the Sand" "What we did, why we did it, I make no excuse, we got things wrong, but I believe we also did some good' is almost identical to a line in UNHCR.

I was about to write the same thing - somme will be happy. )))

By the way, this picture from Mojo might be called "Dog days looming" - at least that's a phrase used in the Contents of this magazine.

"This is The Ministry Of Remains", "This is how the world will end" - wow, even on the page these lines are giving me goosebumps.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:22 pm 

Many thanks again, Kuk91.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:54 pm 

Kuk91 wrote:
Kujjj wrote:

I was about to write the same thing - somme will be happy. )))

By the way, this picture from Mojo might be called "Dog days looming" - at least that's a phrase used in the Contents of this magazine.

"This is The Ministry Of Remains", "This is how the world will end" - wow, even on the page these lines are giving me goosebumps.

I'm wondering whether these are the same songs or if A Line In The Sand was derived from the song. It makes sense that they are the same song after all, the chorus for A Line in The Sand was said to consist of "oh oh oh" and if you look at the somerset house posting of UNHCR the chorus for that song is oh.../

Edit- so Im 99 percent certain A Line in The Sand is UNHCR. Reading the page for UNHCR I picked out the line, I saw people kill each other, just to get there first- which we know is a lyric from A Line In The Sand. So it seems UNHCR was retitled to A Line in The Sand. That makes me happy, I really wanted to hear that song and it will be on the record:)

And at the bottom of the page some lyrics are crossed out and in a box next to it, it reads "enough is enough, a line in the sand, 7 or 8 thousand people killed by the hand-- They didn't step back, By now we should have learned, if we don't then were a sham"

Last edited by Kujjj on Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:54 pm 

Thanks Kuk91 for the Mojo review page.

I have downloaded it from the (somewhat questionable .ru) original page and placed it here for safety:

Folks, use this link. I found clicking the image at the .ru link would would do randomly bad things such as claiming your computer has a virus, requiring a browser shutdown. I've scanned the original .png file for viruses and resaved it as a .jpg file.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 801 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 54  Next