It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 801 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:05 pm 

karloz wrote:
Can somebody please provide a link for a good, buff article in which the whole H6DP is explained as well as (maybe) the story of every song? (it is for a friend who wants to get involved in the whole concept)

A lot of the songs come from poems included in The Hollow of the Hand and most of them were completely altered to fit the rhythm of the music, so the book is worth a reading. Also, the country where each song was written or got inspiration from is specified. Not much but a good start.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:18 pm 

There's the two-sentence summary Polly gave to Andrew Marr when she was on his BBC show in 2016. And didn't she write something about the recording process that was given to visitors to Somerset House, or is that a false memory of mine? Does anyone have the text of that? Admittedly none of that gives the context of the individual songs, and we know more about the composition process than we did then.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:52 pm 

karloz wrote:
Can somebody please provide a link for a good, buff article in which the whole H6DP is explained as well as (maybe) the story of every song? (it is for a friend who wants to get involved in the whole concept)

this was a first itw during Recordin on Progress
in conversation with Michael Morris
https://www.artangel.org.uk/recording-i ... -progress/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:03 pm 

Black Hearted Love wrote:
this was a first itw during Recordin on Progress ...

In fact, I'd missed that, so thank you! The resonances of recording in Somerset House are so very apt and I hadn't thought of it that way. It's yet another example of the strange synchronicities that move through PJ's work.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:05 pm 

not sure where to put this..

from 51 mins in https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09wg7cv
Guy Garvey says she will be taking a backseat musically for a while to focus on lyrics with Don Paterson

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:06 am 

Romario11 wrote:
not sure where to put this..

from 51 mins in https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09wg7cv
Guy Garvey says she will be taking a backseat musically for a while to focus on lyrics with Don Paterson

Thank you for posting this.

Does anyone know what that live (with audience) interview/conversation that was played in the recording was for?
I knew about the live conversations with Paul Muldoon, but haven't heard of the one played here.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:06 am 

Thank you for posting this. I think it comes from the conversation PJH and Don Paterson had at Kings Place in London as part of the Poetry & Lyrics festival last year. This chunk of the conversation appeared in a Radio 4 poetry show, 'Blast', a few months later, and we talked about it here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2591.

Hopefully she's referring to putting The Forest into a publishable form rather than deliberately stepping aside from music-making as such! I do fear there's nowhere much to go after Hope 6 - once you've redefined what being a global citizen means, what's next? But I'm trusting the muses to come up with the goods at some point.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:32 pm 

AineteEkaterini wrote:
I do fear there's nowhere much to go after Hope 6 - once you've redefined what being a global citizen means, what's next? But I'm trusting the muses to come up with the goods at some point.

we discussed a little of it here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2315&p=22570&hilit=genova#p22570
might be "about how the governments of self-proclaimed civilized countries treat their own citizens"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:49 am 

Walmart is paying DC a $1.3 million settlement over their failure to build the store referenced in Community of Hope.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/bus ... ad1f588fcc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:18 pm 

Black Hearted Love wrote:
we discussed a little of it here ...

Oh, I would love to think you're right! Yes, she did talk vaguely about a 'trilogy' in one of the LES interviews ('I think it could be part of a trilogy' or words like that). I had half-convinced myself that if that meant anything, it was that White Chalk was the first part. Three records redefining three different, widening levels of identity - coming from Dorset, being English, and being a global citizen. But White Chalk doesn't really sit comfortably with the other two; it would make far more sense if there was another to come, based on the same sort of methodology. And, in fact, when Polly says she 'thinks' something is the case, it usually means she's absolutely decided it is. Thank you for the link, in any case. Fingers crossed (for four years or however long it takes).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:41 pm 

a glimps of the new record

https://www.instagram.com/p/BF1gV2ETT7u ... eyofficial

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:19 pm 

Theramin, something which sounds like anything between a guitar and an autoharp, and someone dropping pans. I can't wait! : )

Actually, what seems to be a theramin could be a saw ...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:35 am 

Romario11 wrote:
a bit of info on the seamus murphy film

http://www.screendaily.com/news/happy-v ... 17.article

Quote:
In documentary production funding, recipients included Aisling Walsh’s Windmill Lane: A Feature Documentary (€100,000) and a new documentary on singer PJ Harvey, Staring Through The Glass (€75,000), directed by Seamus Murphy.

The documentary got some additional funding:

Quote:
Documentary Production

Two production companies were awarded six-figure sums in the Documentary Production. Real Films’ ‘Gaza: Out of the Ordinary’ was awarded €100,000, while Marcie Films’ Screamers’ was awarded €125,000. Blinder Films’ ‘PJ Harvey: Staring Through the Glass’ was awarded €10,000.

Irish Film Board Funding Decision for Quarter One 2018 Announced

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:50 am 

it quite surprising to me that production of this documentary takes so long and that they have to apply for grants.
when will we see it?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:10 pm 

Was Polly upset with how 'The Hope Six Demolition Project' was received by the critics?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 801 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54  Next