It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 801 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 54  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:33 pm 

I really like how this guy puts it. Its called empathy people. Artists tend to have it, not sure about "rock journalists"

In order to discredit Harvey, they accuse her of exploiting her subjects, especially in Washington, D.C. Dan Weiss at SPIN writes that “the listener is forced to contend with the notion that she might be out of touch, out of her depth, or both.” Tom Breihan at Stereogum suggests that what Harvey has done should literally be considered “poverty tourism.” He insists that “she’s not actually considering the humanity of the people who live there.” This is an absurd claim. No one who has listened carefully to the album could doubt Harvey’s compassion toward the people she encountered and of whose lives she now sings.
Also lurking behind such arguments is the false conception that only people who have directly experienced various forms of oppression can truthfully communicate those experiences—that artists are incapable of understanding other people or creating meaningful works about their conditions. Laura Snapes at Pitchfork asks, “Is she even singing as herself?” as if art should not encompass anything greater than one’s own immediate, subjective existence. One can be grateful Harvey has chosen to sing about something other than herself.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:42 pm 

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/albums-chart/
I don't mind about charts, but I'm just so proud of her. Having this amazing album with such a deep social message on the top fills me with joy. :dance:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:43 pm 

http://spectrumculture.com/2016/04/21/p ... n-project/

http://www.earbuddy.net/62643/pj-harvey ... ml/reviews

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:01 pm 

moon_ wrote:
http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/albums-chart/
I don't mind about charts, but I'm just so proud of her. Having this amazing album with such a deep social message on the top fills me with joy. :dance:

yeah im really happy for her!
some more info.. it sold 11,436 copies
Harvey's first album, Dry, debuted and peaked at No.11 in 1992 with follow-up Rid Of Me reaching No.3 the following year to secure her highest chart position prior to The Hope Six Demolition Project. Although it is more than a decade since she made the Top 75 singles chart, Harvey's fanbase remains strong, with her last four solo albums each charting higher than the one before. With career album sales now north of a million in the UK, Harvey has placed 12 albums on the chart, reaching the Top 10 just three times. Perhaps surprisingly, Harvey's lowest charting solo album is her biggest seller. Released in 2000, Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea reached only No.23, but was critically acclaimed, and won Harvey the Mercury Prize. It has thus far sold 289,874 copies.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:13 pm 

Kujjj wrote:
I really like how this guy puts it. Its called empathy people. Artists tend to have it, not sure about "rock journalists"

In order to discredit Harvey, they accuse her of exploiting her subjects, especially in Washington, D.C. Dan Weiss at SPIN writes that “the listener is forced to contend with the notion that she might be out of touch, out of her depth, or both.” Tom Breihan at Stereogum suggests that what Harvey has done should literally be considered “poverty tourism.” He insists that “she’s not actually considering the humanity of the people who live there.” This is an absurd claim. No one who has listened carefully to the album could doubt Harvey’s compassion toward the people she encountered and of whose lives she now sings.
Also lurking behind such arguments is the false conception that only people who have directly experienced various forms of oppression can truthfully communicate those experiences—that artists are incapable of understanding other people or creating meaningful works about their conditions. Laura Snapes at Pitchfork asks, “Is she even singing as herself?” as if art should not encompass anything greater than one’s own immediate, subjective existence. One can be grateful Harvey has chosen to sing about something other than herself.

Well done, my thoughts exactly. Thank you, Kujjj. I will comment more on this soon, hopefully.

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:21 pm 

Romario11 wrote:

It is thrilling to see such an album get to number one. Are we sure about 11,436 copies? That's half of the first week sales of LES, which debuted at number 8!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:55 pm 

alonbp wrote:
Romario11 wrote:

It is thrilling to see such an album get to number one. Are we sure about 11,436 copies? That's half of the first week sales of LES, which debuted at number 8!

I got my info from here http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.ph ... pic=189333 they seem to know their stuff...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:33 pm 

there is no hurdy-gurdy. I am wrong?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:07 pm 

Romario11 wrote:
alonbp wrote:
Romario11 wrote:

I got my info from here http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.ph ... pic=189333 they seem to know their stuff...

Thanks for the link! Looks like for the past two weeks sales are really low. Good for Polly :laugh:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:37 pm 

a little help guys:
Who's the male voice in The Ministry of Defence?
rememnber I've read about Egyptian Reggae, was it for A Line in the Sand?
thank you

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:37 pm 

Black Hearted Love wrote:
a little help guys:
Who's the male voice in The Ministry of Defence?

Linton Kwesi Johnson.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:58 pm 

The vocal melody at the very end is taken from Egyptian Reggae.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:21 pm 

No. 7 on the ( Australian ) ARIA albums chart.

and at No.7 is a very welcome PJ Harvey with The Hope Six Demolition Project, her first album since Let England Shake five years ago.

They sure don't sell the amount of albums like they used too.

Also No. 7 on the New Zealand Top 40 Albums Chart.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:56 pm 

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:37 am 

Location: I live in a town called Millhaven. It's small and it's mean and it's cold.
Really enjoying the new album.

On first listen, it did not grab me quite like LES and Stories from the City did but I love it more and more after each listen.

Still far to early to think about how it compares to her previous albums.

Really enjoying the saxophone which adds a different texture to some of the songs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 801 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 54  Next