It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Are you enjoying PJ's declamation of poetry?
Yes, very much so! 55%  55%  [ 22 ]
Not so much. 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
Where is the new album?! 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
As long as she does live appearances, I'll support everything she does. 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
I love "White Chalk" era shows, but that's too minimalistic even for me. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I just want her to pick up the guitar and play "Rid of Me" - I don't like it when rock-stars go "artsy". 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 40
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:39 pm 

Black Hearted Love wrote:
the set list of poems is the same
except for Poem

Good eye, I haven't noticed it before. It's so cool that we have audio from the first night, and later on we're gonna see a pro-shot second show!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:23 am 

A revolving wheel of metal chairs
Hung on chains, squealing

Four little children flying out
A blind man sings in Arabic

Hey little children don't disappear
I heard it was 28,000

Lost upon a revolving wheel
I heard it was 28,000

Now you see them now you don't
Children vanish hind the vehicle

Now you see them now you don't
Faces ,limbs , a bouncing skull

I heard it was 28,000

All that's left after I leave
I heard it was 28,000

A painted(faded?) face, a trace of an ear
I heard it was 28,000

A ? of the missing
Tied to the government building

A thousand sun bleached photographs
Fading with the roses

I heard it was 28,000

Lost upon a revolving wheel
I heard it was 28,000

A painted face, a trace of an ear
I heard it was 28,000

Don't watch them fade out

Love this song, any ideas of what the revolving wheel itself refers to.
The reference to the sun faded photographs on the government building in Prishtina, Kosovo. The families of missing people from the war post pictures of the missing and every year come to place flowers nearbye. Hence, fading with the roses
Obviously, the songs about missing people as a result of the conlflicts in Kosovo, but I'm very interested in what the revolving wheel itself is and what 28,000 refers to.

Last edited by Kujjj on Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:48 am 

My opinion only improves of the songs more and more. I've had to have listened to each at least 5 times. I think the poetry is a great thing for her lyric writing, IMO, these are probably her best lyrics she's ever written. Songs are super catchy and infectious. Cant wait.
Lyrics for Community of Hope, Chain Of Keys, Orange Monkey are very close to the poems. It's a bit harder deciphering some of the others/

River Anacostia

Oh my Anacostia
Do not sigh, do not weep
Beneath the overpass
Your saviors waiting patiently

Walking on the water
Flowing with the poisons
From the naval yards
Talking to the fallen reeds

Say what will become of us
what will become of us?

Wade in the water
Gods gonna trouble the water

A small red sun makes way for night
Trails away like a tail light
Is that Jesus on the water
Talking to the fallen trees?

Say what will become of us
what will become us?

Wade in the water
God's gonna trouble the water

Last edited by Kujjj on Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:45 am 

Kujjj wrote:
Obviously, the songs about missing people as a result of the conlflicts in Kosovo, but I'm very interested in what the revolving wheel itself is and what 28,000 refers to.

I think maybe she was watching kids at some sort of amusement park:

Spoiler! :

If you stay at one point, people regularly disappear from the sight, and she used it as a metaphor for missing people.

Maybe there's some specific statistic particularly about missing children - hence 28 000. I think that the poem "The Railway Station" is about the same topic.

Kujjj wrote:
Faces, limbs, a thousand skulls

I don't think that's "skulls", plural, and most likely not a "thousand":

Spoiler! :

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:23 am 

Kujjj wrote:
Walking on the water
Flowing with the poisons

Pretty sure that's "underwater" (she doesn't like to repeat herself, if you catch my drift), but who knows?

Thanks for the rest, though - on my own, I was only capable to "decrypt" words "overpass", "tail light" (these are from the poem, so I'm a dumb-dumb) and this line about Jesus.

By the way, if you listen carefully, I'm pretty sure that when John Parish sings "Wade in the water" in the last part, Polly sings "What will become of us?" on the same melody (and in her "spiritual" voice, of course).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:58 am 

If you look at the lyric sheet for river Anacostia it def looks like on the water, which makes sense with the allusions to a savior and is that Jesus on the water in the song. The red sun is a street light, it's the last picture in the book.

You're right about the skulls part, I went back and I'm sure its "a bouncing skull". You can see she crossed a line through it in the lyric sheet, but I guess she decided to go back to it. And I think it's a" faded face, a trace of an ear" instead of painted.
Fairground ride, that's brilliant. The children on a fairground ride reminded her of the missing people in Kosovo. I looked for statistics on Kosovo and the people who went missing but couldn't find 28.000 anywhere.

Chain of Keys and Orange Monkey are simple, they are nearly identical to the poems. I find it fascinating how the poems transform into the songs.

Yeah, I don't think she's singing that same lyrics as John Parish at the end, but I just can't decipher them at all. You could be right. The songs just incredible, incredibly spiritual. I saw on the lyric sheet there will be a lot more instrumentation on the album.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:39 am 

Kujjj wrote:
I looked for statistics on Kosovo and the people who went missing but couldn't find 28.000 anywhere.

Maybe that's what local people said to her (or maybe that's statistic from specific town she was in).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:43 am 

Kuk91 wrote:
Kujjj wrote:
I looked for statistics on Kosovo and the people who went missing but couldn't find 28.000 anywhere.

Maybe that's what local people said to her (or maybe that's statistic from specific town she was in).

I found this, In the 1990s, a decade of conflict caused the disappearance of over 30,000 people

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:11 am 

The sample before the song - sounds like the Serbian orthodox church (memorial?) service with hand censer (they are of the same christian confession as the russians, so I would know). You can hear this very sample starting on Mellotron at the end of "Chain of Keys" (we know that she was thinking of using "Russian gospel choir" in this song, but I guess Polly refer as "russians" to everyone who uses Cyrillic :smile: ).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:21 am 

Thanks for the mp3s. River Anacostia is just as amazing as I remember.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:31 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:07 am 
Site Admin

Hell and High Water wrote:
I'm on the road and away from my desk, perhaps if you could PM me shows to include in the gigography, I would have them all in one place when I get back. Thanks!

Thanks for the help, the Gigography has been updated. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11