It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:19 am 

Does anyone know what microphone PJ sings through when she's playing the piano? as in PJ Harvey playing white chalk from the basement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErU7Pih5zYo

-when she's "side addressing" a mic that is pointing straight up in the air.. I need one like that, as most dynamic mics u have to sing straight into them for them to sound good. Thanks.

also does anyone know how i can post this question cuz i signed up but i don't see where to post new stuff, hopefully thesis a good place..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

Greetings! I moved your post here, this is where we talk about "all things PJ," sort of a catch-all for posts like this.

The mic on the piano looks like a ribbon mic, but it's impossible to tell without seeing the make and model. PJ likes all kinds of equipment too, it's probably a good quality one, they can be quite expensive, but sometimes cheaper mics have desirable qualities. Here is a similar one.

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/314929.html

The other mic looks like a standard dynamic mic, but she's singing down into it. Is that the one you mean?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:40 pm 

No I am not talking about the mic resembling the one in the link you sent me(that one is being used to mic her 1 watt Vox practice amp right behind it, that the is singing through.

the Mic i AM inquiring about is the one 2 inches from her mouth(that u say she is singing down into, but its what i was referring to as a "side address"(a little of both). I play pain and sing, and mice that are right in front of your face, block your view of both your mdic and your keyboard, so they are highly annoying as they tend to make u cross-eyed. The mic she has righ up against her chest there pointing straight up in the air, must be something unique, cuz it does look like a dynamic SM58 or similar but dynamic mis don't sound good from the side, so not sure what it is. I would have guessed it was a condenser mic(which sounds better from the side but also i would think would easily feed-back with all the different sounds coming into it. So had to wonder if there was such a thing as a condenser mic(or ANY mic that was actually made to only pick up sound from ONE side(which would be perfect for this application if such a thing has ever been invented yet). -so I was wondering if something of that nature was what she was using and if so, WHAT it is because I really need to get one lol THANKS.