It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:49 am 

Tue, October 9, 2012

Fine Wine: Happy Birthday, PJ Harvey!

by Patrick Wilson

Polly Jean Harvey stormed the boys' club that was indie music during the early 90s, and has been leaving us guessing since. Every album brings a completely new sound and always with a look to match (or clash.) I still remember how exhilarating and freeing it felt when, at age 14, I first heard her scream "Lick my legs, I'm on fire," or the time I watched a video of her onstage, in her underwear, thrashing the guitar and screaming, "Don't you wish you never met her?" She was powerful, sly, sexy, and a little scary and I've been obsessed ever since.

Hitting the scene in 1992 with her debut album Dry, PJ adopted a rough biker-chic-Brit look with her tight ponytail, black leather jacket, and Dr. Martens. Her keen ear for catchy hooks and catchy-yet-wonky riffs afforded her a pop sensibility all of her own. In 1993, after posing topless for NME (armpit hair and all), she issued her major label debut of Rid of Me, produced by Steve Albini. During this period, PJ did many late night talk show performances in heels, Wayfarers, a leopard-print fur coat, and a little red dress. In 1995, she was embraced by MTV thanks to her album To Bring You My Love, on which she explored her love for all things Americana, the blues, and gory folk tales. She performed these songs with such passion and intensity that many were led to believe the tales were true. One journalist was convinced she had committed infanticide, the subject of “Down By the Water.” In the video for this song she has a self-proclaimed Joan-Crawford-on-acid look, and plunges into dark green waters wearing bright red lipstick, a red satin evening dress, and green eye shadow that practically went all the way up to her giant wig. For the To Bring You My Love tour she switched the red dress for a pink catsuit, unzipped just far enough to reveal her black bra, and a baby blue patent dress worn so tight she could barely move her legs—or at least that's how it appeared when she walked around on stage. She was committed.

And the transformations continued: In 2001 she went for the sleek city-slicker look, wearing heels and black dress on the cover of Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea; during the Uh Huh, Her album (2004) era she resembled a crazed Spice Girl; in 2007 she appeared as a ghost in pale makeup and a huge Victorian puffy-shouldered dress; and for 2011’s Let England Shake, she pulled out a custom-made Ann Demeulemeester dress, combat boots, and a feather headdress. This collection of original war ballads caused many critics to claim the album as her “creative peak”—not bad for someone already 20 years into their acclaimed career.

Polly, you are my icon, my goddess! You've taught me to be daring and to be bold. You've created your own path and a singular career, and inspired so many of us to do the same. You've perfected (in your own words) "that combination of being quite elegant and funny and revolting—all at the same time." But you're never revolting (except when you're rebelling) and you're always brilliant. Happy Birthday, PJ!

https://www.openingceremony.us/entry.as ... =fb_100912

Mark Steel