It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:11 pm 

I didn't know he used to play bass for The Lambrettas!

----------------------

"Sontronics was recommended to me by Alan Moulder," Flood explains, "who had just been working with Sontronics fan Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age. I tried the DELTA and the SIGMA and I fell in love straight away. To be able to get clarity and depth so close to the guitar amp was amazing!”

Flood soon invested in a family of Sontronics ribbon mics for his studio at Miloco's Assault & Battery. A year or so later, when Flood was producing PJ Harvey's Let England Shake album with John Parish at a remote village church in deepest Dorset, he turned to Sontronics again. "For that album we used DELTAs on amps and SIGMAs on Polly and John's vocals, brass and ambience. ORPHEUS was our go-to-mic for anything and everything: vocals, drums, acoustic guitars, autoharp, ambience and piano."

On the night in September 2011 that Let England Shake picked up the Mercury Prize, Flood sent a message to Sontronics' MD and mic designer, Trevor Coley, to say thanks and also said that the album "IS the sound of Sontronics". So what did he mean exactly?

"The reason I said that was firstly because they were used on so many things but also, more importantly, because every time we put up a Sontronics mic it gave us exactly what we wanted: clarity, character, punch and openness. The whole album was recorded flat which is a tribute to Rob Kirwan the engineer, but also to the Sontronics mics."

And how would Flood describe that 'Sontronics sound'? "I think it's mainly the immediacy of things sounding great without having to do anything is amazing. ORPHEUS has such a great bite to it and all the Sontronics mics seem to have a lovely natural compression without losing any clarity or detail."

http://www.sontronics.com/interview_flood.htm

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:18 pm 

Here he is in The Lambrettas! When they were on Elton John's record label.

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:36 pm 

On Top of the Pops. This is 1980!
The one song I always associate with The Lambrettas; they were formed round my 'neck of the woods'.

A cover of a Lieber and Stoller song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwr4mqN1TXY

Mark Steel