It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:42 am 

I thought at first this might just be a re-hash of old stuff but it was actually a new interview, it's just that Polly often gives the same answers we've heard before! There are some new bits though ...
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/how-pj-harvey-found-her-way-back-to-music

I would read this: :grin:
On that note, would you ever write a memoir?
I don’t know. Maybe a fictional one.

Also worth noting:
I'm studying again. I'm slowly moving towards what would be my next book. It's so gargantuan at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:58 am 

Thank you! I'm also struck by the fact that not all PJ says should be taken completely at face value, so this artiste who says 'I practice my instruments to keep my hand in' is the same one who some years ago maintained 'I don't pick up a guitar unless I'm songwriting so each time it's like learning it again'!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:25 am 

AineteEkaterini wrote:
Thank you! I'm also struck by the fact that not all PJ says should be taken completely at face value, so this artiste who says 'I practice my instruments to keep my hand in' is the same one who some years ago maintained 'I don't pick up a guitar unless I'm songwriting so each time it's like learning it again'!

That's a fair point. I get the impression that she says what she thinks at the time, but like all of us her ideas and opinions change over time. it's easy to get caught out by reading two interviews that appear to contradict each other and then realising they were done ten or twenty years apart! There is also the thing that she complained about years ago where print interviews can completely change her meaning by losing the tone of voice or the context. I'm just pleased she has started doing interviews again!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:05 pm 

I can't see Polly writing a memoir of her life at this point. I believe one will come out after she leaves this earth.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:41 pm 

Orange Monkey wrote:
like all of us her ideas and opinions change over time. it's easy to get caught out by reading two interviews that appear to contradict each other and then realising they were done ten or twenty years apart!!

This is very true, good point. It's funny how we as fans can sometimes be guilty of hanging onto something she might have said in an interview back in the 90s or early 00s and treating it as some indisputable truth whereas in this new one she literally says she can't even remember her younger self lol.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:17 pm 

Scuttlescub_51 wrote:
I can't see Polly writing a memoir of her life at this point. I believe one will come out after she leaves this earth.

Yeah, it seems very unlikely.

Mick Harvey on the likelihood of a biography a few years ago viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2503&hilit=mick
Quote:
“It’s odd too, because someone like Polly [Jean Harvey] doesn’t – she’s really very private. She doesn’t tend to do interviews. She doesn’t like people talking about her. She’s had a couple of people wanting to do biographies on her. The basic instruction [to friends and collaborators] is, ‘don’t talk to them.’ She doesn’t want that kind of thing – she’s not interested in that. She doesn’t think it’s relevant to what she’s doing artistically. She’s just not into it."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:00 pm 

Romario11 wrote:
Scuttlescub_51 wrote:

Yeah, it seems very unlikely.

Mick Harvey on the likelihood of a biography a few years ago http://www.thegardenforum.org/viewtopic ... hilit=mick
Quote:
“It’s odd too, because someone like Polly [Jean Harvey] doesn’t – she’s really very private. She doesn’t tend to do interviews. She doesn’t like people talking about her. She’s had a couple of people wanting to do biographies on her. The basic instruction [to friends and collaborators] is, ‘don’t talk to them.’ She doesn’t want that kind of thing – she’s not interested in that. She doesn’t think it’s relevant to what she’s doing artistically. She’s just not into it."

In some ways I don't blame Polly for not wanting an autobiography or a memoir about her out. Polly is so very private about her life and I respect that. I do feel that Polly has plenty of insecurities about herself that have not been solved. Just saying.

Last edited by Scuttlescub_51 on Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:05 pm 

Scuttlescub_51 wrote:
In some ways I don't blame Polly for not wanting an autobiography or a memoir about her out. Polly is so very private about her life and I respect that. I do feel that Polly has plenty of insecurities about herself that are not unsolved. Just saying.

I second you on that. And also, what's the point of having a biography written about you while you're still alive and thriving and creating?
Think about "Siren Rising", the anauthorized bio. It stops right before 2004 and it's already missing a huge chunk of her life.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:38 am 

Happy to hear that she enjoyed last year's tour.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:45 pm 

I suspect, as well, that she shies away from introspection, and wants to focus on what she's *doing* rather than what she feels, or looking backward. The Broken Record interview Brownbrown posted is almost all about what goes into the music and the composition of the records, which she seems happy to talk about. And even then not about the *meaning* of it, which is up to us to think about.