It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:26 pm 

"Tales" Is from a mag "Hot Ticket" & "Actual Size" Is the Alternative press 2 great Stories pieces

Thanks Dr Dark for the scanning!

Hope you enjoy!

Spoiler! :

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:26 pm 

Fantastic! Never seen that Alternative Press piece before - thank you! I love that they have a sidebar of favourite things - Polly's "hobbies" - lol! I will admit to slight disappointment that American Beauty is the best film she can come up with, but that's just because I'm a pretentious snob ;-) It makes me wanna send her a Maya Deren dvd for the tourbus!

Really lovely, thoughtful interview though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:11 pm 

sallytbyml wrote:
Fantastic! Never seen that Alternative Press piece before - thank you! I love that they have a sidebar of favourite things - Polly's "hobbies" - lol! I will admit to slight disappointment that American Beauty is the best film she can come up with, but that's just because I'm a pretentious snob ;-) It makes me wanna send her a Maya Deren dvd for the tourbus!

Oh I agree they should have made the list of what she likes longer I think. American Beauty is a great movie but very obvious choice for anyone who's gone to art school, I agree. I'm glad you enjoyed it thanks. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:21 am 

Great¡¡¡ :green:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:21 pm 

More excellent stuff, cat. Thanks. I haven't read it all yet, though. I need to learn more about Osip Mandelstam.

sallytbyml wrote:

'Meshes of the Afternoon'! I looked up Maya Deren's name, and it finally clicked when the results came up. Thanks Sally. 'Meshes of the Afternoon' is wonderful. So ahead of it's time...made in 1943.

I saw it for the first time around 18 months ago. It was shown in my local arts centre as part of a tour round Britain. I wanted to see 'Un Chien Andalou' and then discovered 'Meshes of the Afternoon'. :-)

http://www.icoessentials.org.uk/programme/dreams

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:54 pm 

sau wrote:
'Meshes of the Afternoon'! I looked up Maya Deren's name, and it finally clicked when the results came up. Thanks Sally. 'Meshes of the Afternoon' is wonderful. So ahead of it's time...made in 1943.

Absolutely! Maya was a genius, imho and her genre-transcending maverick talent is something that makes me think of Polly... I would highly recommend the documentary 'In The Mirror Of Maya Deren' if you want to know more about her :geeker:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:24 am 

sallytbyml wrote:

maybe it wasn't mentioned as "the best film", only the best among the ones she most recently watched. American Beauty being from 1999 and Being John Malkovich too, this makes it plausible that both these movies had come up on a screen before the eyes of Polly rather recently before she made this interview (for the December 2000 issue of Alternative Press).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:16 pm 

meshes of the afternoon can be found on google video