It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:53 pm 

Via the twitter comments of mozbloke (Steve Morris)

'Why PJ Harvey should win this year's Mercury prize (by me for a BBC 6Music competition)':

http://infinitesparks.wordpress.com/201 ... ize-again/

Why PJ Harvey must win the Mercury Prize again

It would be difficult to imagine somebody more worthy of winning the Mercury Prize for a second time than Polly Harvey. Not least because the musical landscape is currently littered with female artists shaped in some way by her impressive legacy: from Florence Welch to fellow Mercury nominee Anna Calvi her power to influence the influencers is indisputable.

‘Let England Shake’ reinforces the notion that PJ Harvey is the most distinctive and innovative female artist to emerge since Kate Bush. But Polly Harvey is certainly not interested in merely recreating her many past glories. ‘Let England Shake’ sees her exploring new terrain both sonically and subjectively. It’s an album about war and what it is to be English in these troubled times of conflict. That in itself is would be tricky in the hands of many artists but PJ Harvey weaves a rich tapestry of haunting and powerful folk songs (in the loosest sense of the word) from an eclectic mix of singing styles and instrumentation.

What might be surprising to some is not that the album is lyrical, poetic, dark and thought-provoking but that it is also packed full of simply wonderful tunes. ‘Let England Shake’ is a beautifully crafted collection of songs that is at once accessible and complex. This combination makes it a fiercely intelligent record, something rare indeed.

‘Let England Shake’ deserves the Mercury prize because it stands alone as a landmark album from a landmark artist still consistently pushing boundaries, still restless and still searching for the truth. Perhaps more importantly than all of that – and certainly of importance for a music award – it proves that PJ Harvey is still making utterly brilliant and inventive music. If the Mercury music award is really about recognising the best album of the year then there is really only one serious contender.

http://infinitesparks.wordpress.com/201 ... ize-again/

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:33 pm 

A comment I posted on this: I'm quite bored with this tired, sexist rhetoric that Harvey has only been of value to female artists. So all the men that have sung her praises are somehow irrelevant because they have different gender identities? Florence & The Machine is pop pap. As far as I know, she doesn't play or write her own material and she's always been quite polished, so these Harvey comparisons are beyond facile. I understand Calvi, but even there, she's playing music cannibalized from surf and rockabilly and Morricone soundtracks, while Harvey was raw from the outset and assimilated those influences as opposed to sounding exactly like them. Hardly a littering of the landscape. It seems like every time a woman dons a guitar she's the next PJ Harvey. I have yet to see someone who has written these retrospectives about Harvey's early work rightfully place it alongside someone like The Jesus Lizard (a band of MEN! shocking), who are much more her peers in spirit and early sound than Tori Amos (yuck) or Bjork or riot grrrl or whatever they always seem to reference. I just hate when people throw female artists into a gender ghetto. Use your ears!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:16 pm 

I completely agree and was about to post an angered comment myself, but you have robbed me of it! Anyway, it's truly sad to read such things in 2011, especially coming from an alleged supporter.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:41 pm 

Well said, Soulfadelic! I agree with you entirely.

I've never understood the gender division in music. I always hate to see the "women in rock" features that always seem to be printed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:10 am 

Yeah, and it appears my comment has not been approved. I wonder why... hahaha