It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mercury Prize
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:15 am 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... award.html

How is not giving Adele an award 'a snub'???

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:30 am 

Hello everyone :)
(long time fan/first time poster etc)

So glad she won, although I suspected she might from what they were/weren't saying at the top of the show. I love Polly's gentle air - & found it amusing that she made sure she didn't leave her cheque before leaving the stage :green: damn that Jools for hiding it! :laugh:

The comments on the Beeb's site are ridiculous btw....I don't know if it's because Polly is so down to earth, but it's like they posted those rubbishing comments completely unaware of the very important & very accomplished artist of 20 yrs worth...would they snub her if she was Adele? :neutral: People eh!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:32 am 
Site Admin

^ Somebody thinks that Adele was 'supposed' to get it.

For every winner, there are at least a half dozen who are 'snubbed.' It's just the opinions of the writers.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:10 am 

Squealed loudly like a little girl when I found out she won!!!!

Congrats Polly!!!!

NO ONE deserves it more then you do!! About time!

:grin: :green: :grin:

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/09/06/pj- ... ics-huffpo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:17 am 

olivier101 wrote:
Amanda_ataxia wrote:
PJ is #5 Trending topics on Twitter now :)

Wow "Let England Shake" and "PJ harvey" both trending on twitter now!

That's amazing, it should be like that daily or at least weekly!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:32 am 

Other interviews of her : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmjBLKl91OU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elzW1uzD6yA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDT4hiYqi1E (at the end)

A few appearances of her in that video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76mQJInNLaU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:00 pm 

Very happy for her. A true artist and one of a kind.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:04 pm 

According to online retailer Amazon, Let England Shake has seen a sales increase of 1,190 per cent since the album was named winner of the prestigious award. It is now the website's second biggest-selling album behind Adele's 21 - which was also nominated for the prize. Other record stores were also reporting a surge in sales for the album, which retailers predict will re-enter the charts on Sunday.

It is the second time that PJ Harvey has won the Mercury Prize - becoming the first artist to score more than one victory. The 41-year-old's first Mercury win, for 2001's Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea, came on the same day as the September 11 terrorist attacks - and on that occasion the singer was unable to attend the ceremony as she was stuck in a hotel room in Washington DC.

'It's somewhat ironic that PJ Harvey's album has been acclaimed by the Mercury judges almost ten years to the day that she picked up her first award,' said an HMV spokesman. Her achievement then was almost entirely overshadowed by the tragic events that were unfolding in New York and needless to say, her album then didn't enjoy the usual lifts that a Mercury winner can expect. 'It's going to be a different story now. With the additional prospect of a sharp rise in CD sales via stores and online over the next few days and weekend, PJ Harvey can expect to re-enter the upper reaches of the charts come next week.'

Let England Shake - which is influenced by current and past conflicts, including the Gallipoli campaign of the First World War - fought off competition from the likes of Adele, Tinie Tempah, Katy B, James Blake and Elbow to take the prize. ‘It's good to be here this evening,' Harvey said upon receiving the award. 'When I last won ten years ago - on September 11, 2001 - I was watching the Pentagon burning from my hotel window. ‘So much has happened since then. This album took me a long time to write. It was very important to me. I wanted to make something meaningful, not just for myself but for other people, and hopefully to make something that would last.’

http://www.metro.co.uk/music/874717-pj- ... -prize-win

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:59 pm 

Increased sales and new fans come with the prize as well. Good for you Polly!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:04 pm 

Kudos PJ!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:23 pm 

Totally outraged I forgot to watch this live on TV :shocked:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:01 pm 

Another interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ast-aOOlFW0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:53 pm 

:laugh: LOL

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-14820940
PJ Harvey mix up: Newcastle man mistaken for singer

A computer software developer from Newcastle has received thousands of messages of congratulation after being mistaken for the singer-songwriter, PJ Harvey.

Philip John Harvey, from Jesmond, was inundated with messages on the social networking site Twitter after the singer won the Mercury prize at Tuesday night's awards.

Mr Harvey's username on the site is @pjharvey, to which thousands of the singer's fans sent messages such as "Send grats to @pjharvey for her amazing success this evening!"

The first Mr Harvey knew of "his" success was when his phone started alerting him to Twitter messages - and did not stop.

"I was just in my kitchen cooking my dinner when my phone started going off. I have it so it notifies me whenever someone mentions me, which happens quite rarely because I'm just an average guy on Twitter."

When he realised what was happening Mr Harvey tweeted that he was not PJ Harvey, the singer. His new fans did not believe him.

"I wasn't trying to be funny but Twitter thought it was funny and everyone started re-tweeting that message and then it just exploded.

"I had all sorts of nonsense coming through, people accusing me of pretending to be PJ Harvey and I got some quite nasty messages. As well as lots of positive messages."

'Massive nerd'
By the time Mr Harvey went to bed, in the early hours of the morning, he had received over 2,000 direct messages.

Some tweeters were still convinced Philip John was really Polly Jane but, as the mix-up became clear, the jokes started. One user tweeted: "I shall follow you anyway but I expect an album by this time next year."

Mr Harvey, who describes himself as a "massive nerd" on his Twitter profile, said he was so interested in technology he signed up to the site in 2007, never thinking his username would become significant.

He said he was one of the first half million users: "I'm a bit of a techy, an early adopter of certain technologies.

"I joined Twitter in the really early days when it was really just a bunch of nerds talking to each other about nerdy things.

"I never really thought it would explode into the big popular culture thing it is now, being used by celebrities, it never really crossed my mind."

Phil Harvey has offered to let the singer have his username if Twitter will let him have the defunct @pharvey in return.

PJ Harvey's publicist says she does not use Twitter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:38 pm 

Amanda_ataxia wrote:
bluesman wrote:

LOL, Anna Calvi, Adele and Katy B's faces when pj wins hahaha

None of them have that obligatory smile on their face! Wow. I'm sure Adele's millions kept her warm that night. Well, after taxes. :shades:

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:59 pm 

Pitifuljoy wrote:
Amanda_ataxia wrote:
bluesman wrote:

LOL, Anna Calvi, Adele and Katy B's faces when pj wins hahaha

None of them have that obligatory smile on their face! Wow. I'm sure Adele's millions kept her warm that night. Well, after taxes. :shades:

Ha, you remembered the taxes quote! I had a look at the BBC link, prompted by Thatwaslove's comment about the anti-Polly comments, but I don't have the energy to post there. It wears you out trying to argue your case with some people online; they change their angle, ignore facts and then it all finally 'eats you up'.

Trying to be all 'cool' and blase about awards but...well done Polly and her helpers.

Mark Steel

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next