It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: to convert a clergyman
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:45 pm 

funeral preparations proceeding, yesterday I talked with the officiating priest, an interview regarding my deceased father's life.

towards the end of our conversation he (the priest) asked for my e-mail and then made the remark that "polyphoniac" is a rather well-chosen monicker. which made me reply by telling him that it's an adaptation from my original "Pollyphoniac" on the webside The Garden, because after all I do listen to other things as well as Polly Jean Harvey.

he then wondered who is Polly Jean Harvey (obviously he had never heard of her). "is she American?" - "no", I replied, "she's english". then he began writing her name down and I had to correct him (to change the middle name from "Gene" to "Jean") and make it clear that the surname was "...-V-E-Y" (in case he might otherwise spell it "Harvy").

there he was sitting, a youngish Lutheran Church priest, with "Polly Jean Harvey" written down in big letters across the middle section of his notepad. so I urged him to listen to all her albums and added that "I can't recommend which one you should listen to first, because she is shifting her style from album to album and not knowing what type of music you like, I have no way of telling which album you'd prefer; you might begin by listening to the wrong one, so I urge you to listen them all through to find if you like any of them".

this is what happened at the end of our interview. so I walked away from there thinking that maybe I just made an unforeseen move to convert a Lutheran clergyman (into Polly-fandom, I mean - not that he would need to renounce his church for the sake of going through such a conversion). it feels good anyway to spread the gospel (of good music). :grin:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:16 am 
Site Admin

If he becomes a fan, I'll bet he could shed new light on a lot of her lyrics! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:07 am 

Location: The Black Country, England, Great Britain, UK - in that order
Nice one, all are welcome in the church of Polly :wink:

oh & glad you're finding welcome distractions at a difficult time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:34 am 

Interesting... I'm curious to know what a clergyman thinks of some songs :)