It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:52 am 

Anything from White Chalk - in particular - dear darkness and the mountain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:51 am 

protocols wrote:
Also, I love the demo of "Hair" but the album version is just a mess. The bass is very annoying (especially the annoying farty noise during the chorus)

:lol: I never thought of it that way but I'm listening to it right now and that's completely dead on. Now that I'm rethinking about my answer, I tend to listen to You Said Something and Horses In My Dreams the least.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:00 pm 

That's ok dr dark ;)

Kamikaze

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:42 pm 

Reeling really annoys me and when The River comes on I go zzzz. Not crazy about Joy either - oh and Horses makes me want to punch her when she goes "hooorsseeees in maaah dreeeeeeaaams like waaa-ehhhiiives liek the seaaa". Never cared for The Desperate Kingdom of Love or To Talk to You. lol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:17 am 

wow, opinions are so diverse regarding Polly's lows.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:23 am 
Site Admin

sau wrote:
A song of Polly's you don't like? You blasphemers. Remember when she danced to 'Cat on the Wall' on the 'Uh Huh Her' EPK? That makes it bearable. ;-)

I wouldn't call it bearable. I really like it, maybe it's not a good song, but it is nice. And I do love that dancing from UHH EPK. It's "Wow".

Returning on tipic, my least faves have been always Hook and Goodnight, and agree with those who mentioned Leaving California too. And I know some of you (much of you) will hate me for this, but "Kick it..." is in the same category for me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:39 am 

Cracks in The Canvas¡¡¡¡¡¡I love this song¡¡¡¡ :grin:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:47 pm 

I don't like the album version of No Girl So Sweet that much, prefer the slowed down live version.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:22 pm 
I really struggled with 'April' the first few times I heard it. It was only when we saw her sing it live that I appreciated it properly.

'Leaving Califonia' has never bothered me one way or the other. But I always think it sounds like it should be played on a merry go round when it starts to kick in.

I love every song on 'stories'...but that's probably because some of the lyrics mean a lot to me personally rather than me appreciating it musically.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:38 pm 

i don't like Joe. didn't ever really care about this song.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:31 pm 

Me and my Marshall wrote:
sau wrote:
A song of Polly's you don't like? You blasphemers. Remember when she danced to 'Cat on the Wall' on the 'Uh Huh Her' EPK? That makes it bearable. ;-)

I wouldn't call it bearable. I really like it, maybe it's not a good song, but it is nice. And I do love that dancing from UHH EPK. It's "Wow".

Returning on tipic, my least faves have been always Hook and Goodnight, and agree with those who mentioned Leaving California too. And I know some of you (much of you) will hate me for this, but "Kick it..." is in the same category for me.

you weirdo! :eyeroll:

no cause for hatred here, trust me, I just find it totally weird that somebody would mention (among his four least faves) no less than three songs which I would rather be inclined to place among my top thirty faves (and two of those in the top twenty).

but that's the way it is:
preferences are diverse
yet nothing is perverse,
only a version of bliss
in appreciating music.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:49 pm 

Soph wrote:
I really struggled with 'April' the first few times I heard it. It was only when we saw her sing it live that I appreciated it properly.

Interesting thing happened when I first listened to April (not exactly listened but watched - it was performance at KCRW if I am not mistaken). Not being an English speaking person I do not have a habbit to listen carefully to the words of songs sung in English, especially at first listen. So was that time - I only listened to the music, Polly's vocals, looking at Polly. But when it came to "I dream..." I new exactly what this song about, I mean interpretation was the same when I figured the words. It was brought to me just through music and performance.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:27 pm 

Yeah, the KCRW session was absolutely electrifying. Funny you should mention this as I watched some of it again today.
http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/mb/m ... and_john_p

For me, April didn't work until I watched her sing it and followed along with the lyrics in front of me. I guess the odd voice for most of it threw me off.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:07 am 

DrDark wrote:
For me, April didn't work until I watched her sing it and followed along with the lyrics in front of me. I guess the odd voice for most of it threw me off.

For me it was a kind of tension between odd old woman voice and clear "I dream" part voice. But most important that it was beyond words. I don't know if I am clear, sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:57 am 

You're absolutely right. The essence of the song is contained in the transition to the "I dream" part. The lyrics work in conjunction with that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next