It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:52 pm 

Cat On The Wall (sorry cat!)

It's hard to put my finger on why this song bugs me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:28 pm 

I think 'Cat on the Wall' may very well be PJ's most annoying song. But actually I find myself humming it from time to time. everything about it is so wrong that it somehow becomes right. and sometimes it's just annoying. I think I'll go with You Come Through. don't like it at all.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

I thought "Cat on the Wall!" immediately when I say the title of the thread. I'm not sure it's my least favorite but it definitely stands out as an irritating one.

Find us at
Twitter
MySpace
Facebook

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:47 pm 

I know a lot of people who feel that way about Cat On The Wall, but I got into it once somebody suggested to me that it sounds like a song Kim Gordon would write and then I heard it differently, so although I think it's out of place where it comes on the album I do appreciate it as a standalone track and it sounds like Polly trying to pull off something a bit different. Personally, I think The Letter is the worst she's written - I find it almost embarrassing lyrically and the music sounds too laboured to pull off that "off-the-cuff" energy that I think she must've been aiming for. I love the rest of UHH but I'd probably rearrange the tracklist.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:05 pm 

un cercle du soleil
it seems to drag on forever!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:14 pm 

"Leaving California" — the vocal performance is awfully grating.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:18 pm 

A song of Polly's you don't like? You blasphemers. Remember when she danced to 'Cat on the Wall' on the 'Uh Huh Her' EPK? That makes it bearable. ;-)

If there is one song I struggle with it's 'Wicked Tongue'. But it is Polly, so there is always something to like. Can I mention one favourite? 'Yuri G' with the volume up high.

Hello sally, by the way. I know what you mean about 'The Letter'; sounded great on first few listenings - because it was the novelty of a new Polly song - but does sound laboured.

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:14 pm 

Is impossible to say that PJ has such thing as a bad song, so that's why I appreciate the name of the thread

I really can say I don't like one, but I think "The Letter" is also my least fave

I still don't get too much into SFTC,SFTS, so I can actually judge it and say if there's a nother least favourite there :S

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:58 pm 

Slow drug.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:09 pm 

I was walking home and someone in a convertible was BLASTING Cat on the Wall. Was pretty cool, and I don't mind the song.

But for most annoying, My Own Private Revolution.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:44 pm 

sau wrote:
Remember when she danced to 'Cat on the Wall' on the 'Uh Huh Her' EPK? That makes it bearable. ;-)

agreed :grin:

I can't say there's a song that I hate, but I've never cared much for When Will I See You Again. It just lags too much for me; again, I don't hate it, I just hardly ever listen to it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:05 am 

protocols wrote:

I say the same about "City of No Sun"

I grew a new appreciation for this song after the release of "AWMWB" but I, I just cannot listen to this song all the way through. But uh, since its a JP/PJ song does it count in this case?

If not, I'll have to come back to this...there are a few songs I'm not very fond of. "Cat On the Wall" would be one of them. It's great fun live though.

oh and Teclo25, love the avatar ;)

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:40 am 

I love every song of hers except Cat On The Wall. I think the song Uh Huh her should replace Cat on the album Uh Huh Her

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:44 am 

Pitifuljoy wrote:
protocols wrote:

I say the same about "City of No Sun"

Oh yes, those two songs are definitely sisters! If they don't count because they're collaborations, then my least favorite album track is "You Said Something".

Also, I love the demo of "Hair" but the album version is just a mess. The bass is very annoying (especially the annoying farty noise during the chorus), and while Rob's off-drumming is so perfect at other points (i.e. the beginning of "Dress"), it does not work here.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:05 am 

Interesting UHH choices. I've always really liked the downbeat ones especially The Slow Drug, You Come Through and It's You. Maybe it's the context for You Come Through. I've always thought she wrote that for her grandmother, who she was caring for during that time. The Slow Drug is really unique. It verges on not even being music.

As for the Dance Hall songs, yep, City of No Sun is on my skip list, along with Un Cercle. Still can't understand why they played that instead of That Was My Veil during the recent tour. It's got one section that's almost sleep inducing (maybe that was the point).

Some of the lyrics for Stories were weak. The Whore's Hustle, This Wicked Tongue and My Own Private Revolution come to mind. In my mind Stories is more about the music than the lyrics. Kamikaze and the latter two are on my skip list for Stories.

I never had a problem with Leaving California. If you can get through all of White Chalk you should be okay with Leaving California.