It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:05 pm 

http://www.clashmusic.com/news/pj-harve ... new-single

PJ Harvey is set to release her forthcoming single 'The Glorious Land' on April 18th.

One of Britain's finest songwriters, PJ Harvey took time off last year to do some research. Deciding to focus on warfare, the singer soaked up information from countless sources, leafing her way through books on every aspect of battle. Intertwined with this is a reflection on the changing notion of English identity, gender and more. Released last month, PJ Harvey's new album 'Let England Shake' is simply a wonderful songwriting achievement.

Playing two rare London shows as a celebration, the singer is currently resting after a sold out European tour. Now PJ Harvey has confirmed a new single. Taken from the recent album 'The Glorious Land' is a rumination on the impact The First World War had on British society, but as usual PJ Harvey's dramatic songwriting comes to the fore. One of the key tracks on 'Let England Shake' the single is due to be available on seven inch vinyl and download. As a special incentive for fans who like to buy physical objects, the vinyl edition of the single comes with a new track. 'The Nightingale' was recorded during sessions for the recent album, which took place in a church in Dorset. As yet unreleased, the track will be added as the B-side to 'The Glorious Land'.

Meanwhile, PJ Harvey is preparing for a trip to Coachella. Named on the bill for the desert festival, the singer is due to perform at the Californian event on April 17th sharing a bill with Kanye West and The Strokes. British fans stand a better chance of seeing PJ Harvey in action this summer. The singer is due to perform at London's Alexandra Palace on July 23rd, with tickets for the one off show on sale now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:12 pm 

Thank you for the news! I guess "The Glorious Land" is an obvious choice for a single. Great to hear that "The Nightingale" will have a proper release, too, since I'm not really into lossy iTunes downloads.

Kueken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:51 pm 

I thought the 'Nightingale' was a little bit rubbish actually. Shall have to see what the funds are like, although this does seem like a superfluous purchase. Might give it a miss.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:47 pm 

I'm really surprised by this. "The Glorious Land" is interesting, but certainly not single-worthy in my opinion. I think a better choice would have been "In The Dark Places".

As far as "The Nightingale", the song has really grown on me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:17 pm 

Thanks for sounding the bugle on this, would've been my preferred choice for the next single

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:30 pm 

They could all be singles to me!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:15 pm 

^and I want the videos as well. Soon, please!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:40 pm 

wonderful news, love it

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:33 pm 

from MySpace:

PJ Harvey - The Glorious Land -- The 4th Film, From A Series Of 12 Short Films, By Seamus Murphy

From the album 'Let England Shake'

A word from the director, Seamus Murphy;

The Glorious Land

As with the other films, I wanted to avoid too literal an interpretation of Polly's lyrics, but to try to remain true to the spirit and feel of the track. The Glorious Land was the third film we edited and completed in Berlin in the cycle of the 12 films, the first was The Words That Maketh Murder and the second was The Last Living Rose. Both editor, Sebastian, and I loved this track, and for me the bugle blast and where it sits is truly a glorious thing. It has the courage to be discordant, out of place and yet perfect on its own terms, surely the quality of great Art? At the first London show at the Troxy last week, when the bugle came in as they played The Glorious Land it was like experiencing the music floating high above the band and audience and hovering over all of us like a massive Jackson Pollack. And it swung.

I had noticed interesting things coming through the trees when driving around Dorset in October. Autumn colours, the sunlight streaming through the trees, the effect of movement during driving, how things changed if I speeded up or slowed down. How the angle at which the camera was held changed things so I started experimenting with shooting and driving. Some of this was shot through the car sunroof straight up into the sky, some deliberately overexposed and out of focus, to increase the abstraction. I particularly liked the white, washed-out look of the sky and how at times there are stretches of pure white. I originally had All And Everyone in my head for these images, but knew visually it could work elsewhere. But when we started editing The Glorious Land it became obvious it was made for it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:17 pm 

Single cover

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:03 pm 

menju56 wrote:
Single cover

Thanks, menju; looks like a lovely cover. One of Polly's best?

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:12 pm 

a bigger pics of the cover single here
http://stayloose.co.uk/artist.php?id=58