It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:17 pm 

Kim Gordon https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... gs-701588/

Quote:
PJ Harvey, “Shame”
The albums Uh Huh Her and B Sides, to me, are two of my favorite PJ records. I love “Shame” because she’s so defiant in it: “I don’t need no ball and chain.” I also love the song “Who the Fuck” on Uh Huh Her. It’s kind of like, “You’re an asshole. Get out of here.”

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:16 pm 

found a couple of songs about PJH!

and one by the Mary Adam 12 https://archive.org/details/ma121995-08 ... d1t04.flac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:04 am 

Britt Daniel (Spoon) https://pitchfork.com/features/5-10-15- ... _instagram

Quote:
To Bring You My Love is my favorite PJ Harvey record, I was definitely obsessed with her at that point. She was doing something with the blues that not a lot of artists that I was interested in were doing, sort of making it contemporary. That record had a very natural sound, but it also had a real style to it. It was produced. I still reference To Bring You My Love when we make records.

I had really come around to Wire and Talking Heads around this time too, and I started to like that kind of abstract lyrical imagery more than literal story telling. It made it easier to write lyrics, because it was easier to hide behind. At that point, when I was writing lyrics it was all about: What can I sing that won’t embarrass me standing up there onstage? And if you could latch onto something that had a cool meaning to it, that was a bonus. But it wasn’t the primary concern. Sometimes that can lead to a lot of really bad lyrics. And a lot of it is about taste: I didn’t know a lot about what Stephen Malkmus was singing about, but it fucking worked.

This is when Spoon’s first album, Telephono, came out, on Matador. In the early ’90s I started noticing that a lot of the records I liked had this Matador logo on the back: Guided by Voices, Pavement, Yo La Tengo, Liz Phair. They were the coolest label. To be able to be in the same company as those people was unreal. So, for a brief time, it was amazing—and then the record came out and nobody cared.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:14 am 

^^ Thanks for that.

And thanks to ALL contributors to this thread :exclaim:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:35 pm 

Maynard James Keenan
http://www.alternativenation.net/maynar ... metallica/

Quote:
“When grapes come in, we have our pH and Brix levels on a whiteboard, but on the far right, we have our playlists. Sometimes I look back at notes and go, ‘We were playing PJ Harvey [last year], let’s put PJ Harvey on again.’ I’m really inspired in the cellar by things that have that darker overtone. So I’ll listen to Low, PJ Harvey, Gillian Welch…because there’s so much space in those songs, I get things done. When I have Metallica or Slayer on, the predominant thing in face is the song, so I don’t work as well with that music playing.”

Natalie Portman
https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/m ... world.html

Quote:
“I came of age in the ’90s and I was listening to Jeff Buckley, Julianna Hatfield and PJ Harvey, the indie and alt-rock moment. I had my Doc Martens and little baby barrettes and baby-doll dresses. I don’t really remember who was ‘pop’ back then. But I started to listen to a lot of pop music for this movie, and I really have come to appreciate it.”

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:47 am 

Interpol member repping TBYML:

https://youtu.be/JeHhgcYhe7c?t=550

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:07 am 

I love Amoeba's What's In My Bag series. When I watched the episode with Garbage, Shirley pulled out a RoM t-shirt and it made me smile at how big of fan she is.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:27 pm 

Is there actually a quote from Type O Negative's Peter Steele on PJ? I'd love to find that one as I'm a big fan of both :)

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 2:26 pm 

Electronic composer Mira Calix chose Stories as one of her favourite albums for The Quietus.

Quote:
PJ's another artist like Nina or Bowie, just constantly searching. I'll buy anything she does, as each of her albums has such a strong concept or narrative. This is a record I come back to a lot. It's such intelligent, inquisitive music, with a very strong aesthetic, but it's also very schizophrenic. At one moment, you get a total fuck-you song then her voice changes into this soft, tender, lush thing, and you want to fuck her back! The duet with Thom Yorke ['The Mess We're In'] is one of my favourite things – to have these two voices together – to hear the way they connect. The album still sounds really contemporary too, even though it's nearly 20-years-old. I was watching the video to 'Good Fortune' the other day, and it feels like it was made last week. It has this real Instagram filter feel to it. Polly's always ahead of the game.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:22 pm 

The singer from IDLES said during their concert at Glastonbury that their song "Danny Nedelko" was inspired after witnessing PJ Harvey read John Donne’s poem "No Man Is an Island" back in 2016.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:36 am 

From Khyam Allami's Facebook page, posted on 7 July 2019:

"So today... PJ Harvey just casually walked in to my installation, Requiem for the 21st Century, walked around between the ouds, eyes glistening, grabbed a beanbag, and sat down to listen...

Back in 2008, I got an email from a small UK record shop, asking me for a copy of a piece I played on a BBC Radio 3 World Routes session. It was an improvisation in the Iraqi Maqam Orfa followed by a folk song: Al-kawnu ila jamalukum mushtaqu (The world is longing for your beauty).

As it was an improvisation for a live radio session I didn’t have an album to send so I wrote back explaining the situation.

The record store then replied saying that the request was for PJ Harvey and would I be able to send her a copy of the session itself. I never never managed to to get a copy from the BBC and so I couldn’t send it, and this was a few years before Resonance/Dissonance was released. And so it went....

Today, more than 10 years later, I recounted the story to her and she told me that that piece directly inspired the song “England” from Let England Shake, saying “so that was you!” and she gave me a big hug...

It was a beautiful thing."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:57 pm 

^ Thanks for sharing this, such a lovely story!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:14 pm 

Jehnny Beth from Savages says Polly's invitation to open for her in 2016 was the catalyst for the upcoming solo album:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:16 am 

TheNightingale wrote:
Jehnny Beth from Savages says Polly's invitation to open for her in 2016 was the catalyst for the upcoming solo album:

Also the catalyst for her upcoming book of short stories, in a way:

Quote:
In June, she will release a book of erotic short stories that began as a poetry collection before she made the rare decision to heed a critic. “Polly Jean Harvey told me my poetry was awful,” she said and laughed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytime ... s.amp.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:04 pm 

A lovely account by Jehnny Beth of her relationship with Polly: http://vishkhanna.com/2020/06/24/ep-549-jehnny-beth/. 46.00 to 49.03 or so.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next