It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:16 am 

yarnforhair wrote:

Anyone else pumped for the Hunger Games?

I've not read any of the books, but I am curious to see it. It sort of reminds me of "Battle Royale" . (Only I have a feeling, it wont be as gruesome. I hope I'm wrong. )

Watched "The Godfather" most recently. I can't remember the last time I saw it, so I needed a refresher. Great movie. I need to make time to watch part 2.

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:18 am 
Site Admin

^ Part 2 is Excellent. Part 3, not so much.

I just watched The Debt. Good, not great. But then I watched it at home and there were distractions. I HATE THE DISTRACTIONS. Especially when Helen Mirren is on.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:22 pm 

Pitifuljoy wrote:
yarnforhair wrote:

Anyone else pumped for the Hunger Games?

I've not read any of the books, but I am curious to see it. It sort of reminds me of "Battle Royale" . (Only I have a feeling, it wont be as gruesome. I hope I'm wrong. )

The books are EXCELLENT. I'm reading the third one now. I'm genuinely surprised by how much I love them. I'm totally into it! It is similar to Battle Royale in a sense, and if you read the books, there's some pretty morbid things, which I was surprised by. I'm happy that it's PG-13 though cause that tells me they were true to some of that. I mean, there really isn't a way to get around the death and blood if you wanna do the book any shred of justice because that's what the book is, and the author even said after seeing the movie, disregarding the fact that it's her own book, that it's one of the most accurate book to film adaptations, so fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:17 am 

Well, I'm glad to know that. It seems like it's being marketed towards the Twilight crowd and that has been a bit of a turn off. Some movie adaptations tend to frustrate me - *cough* Harry Potter *cough* - because they stray from already good material for irrelevant reasons. :\ Then again, not having read the books will probably kill any frustrations and sometimes it's better not knowing because it tends to kill that experience some what. Especially when you're really into it! Haha.

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:07 pm 

I'm looking forward to seeing Hunger Games as well, but am going into it wary about how they will have approached it. I read the books and was also very surprised by how much I enjoyed them because they are very far away from the type of thing I normally read and enjoy. They really do suck you in. I am also hoping it isn't too Twilight-ish. I read one of those books and saw one of the movies and that was more than enough.

Haven't been to the theater to see anything new in a very long time, but I stayed in one night this weekend with a bottle of wine and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Not a bad evening!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:54 pm 

I've been trying to watch Game Change even though I'm so sick of politics lately. Haha. I find the whole thing fascinating though and from the 30 minutes I managed to catch, the acting from everyone involved is ace. I can't wait to finish it.

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:51 pm 

March wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing Hunger Games as well, but am going into it wary about how they will have approached it. I read the books and was also very surprised by how much I enjoyed them because they are very far away from the type of thing I normally read and enjoy. They really do suck you in. I am also hoping it isn't too Twilight-ish. I read one of those books and saw one of the movies and that was more than enough.

I mean, like I said, the author says it's one of the truest book to film adaptations so I'm hanging on that for this to be awesome. Also, Jennifer Lawrence is a million times better than Kristen Stewart, who can only act one emotion. Jennifer Lawrence *swoon* Going by the cast in this movie too, there's some stellar people so, cast, please pull through!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:23 pm 

^ I am very excited to see Woody Harrelson as Haymitch. When I heard that he was cast, I thought it was a perfect choice!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:46 am 

^Will you guys brave the movie theaters this weekend? Oh, I already know it's gonna be chaotic!

Hell and High Water wrote:
^ Part 2 is Excellent. Part 3, not so much.

I just watched The Debt. Good, not great. But then I watched it at home and there were distractions. I HATE THE DISTRACTIONS. Especially when Helen Mirren is on.

A million times yes. I didn't really care for The Debt. It didn't engage me enough to enjoy it I suppose.

The Decendants - Good movie, but Oscar worthy? I don't get it.

I highly recommend "A Separation" to anyone who has yet to see it. It was my definite fave (next to The Artist) for 2011. Engaging, thought provoking, spectacular acting that you sometimes forgot you were watching a movie. I didn't want it to end.

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:29 pm 

Pitifuljoy wrote:
^Will you guys brave the movie theaters this weekend? Oh, I already know it's gonna be chaotic!

Yes, I shall be braving the theaters this weekend... well, braving flocks of twelve year olds at the midnight showing Hunger Games because I have my ticket and am ridiculous like that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:22 pm 

yarnforhair wrote:

Yes, I shall be braving the theaters this weekend... well, braving flocks of twelve year olds at the midnight showing Hunger Games because I have my ticket and am ridiculous like that.

Haha. I bet you're gonna see this like 5 times.

I'm gonna wait til the craziness dies down a little bit to check it out. Especially considering it's selling out all over the place.

I just saw Jennifer Lawrence's appearance on Letterman and I had no clue she was such an adorable dork. :green:

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:48 pm 

I went to see Hunger Games last weekend. It certainly kept my interest but I felt that overall it lacked the urgency and intensity that the books had. It seemed to plateau pretty early and wasn't as dynamic as I expected.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:46 am 

"The Hunger Games" My friend insists I read the book first. She's gonna lend it to me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:31 pm 

The Hunger Games - It was pretty slow in the beginning and then non stop towards the end. Good acting and I enjoyed it for what it was, even though it did leave me with a lot of questions. Though after the movie I read all of the cliff notes to the books and now I know why they weren't doing what I was thinking while watching, such as

Spoiler! :
-starting a revolution which they do later towards the end of the series and I'm eager to see how that all plays out on the big screen.

It did remind me of sort of what is happening in North Korea right now. (Yes, I also watched a lot of documentaries about that mess of a place). The big extravagant show they put on for "The Leader" and how they have to do everything to please him. If not, well, terrible, awful things happen. The class separations. The thousands of starving people, particularly children. Murders. It's hard to grasp that this still goes on today.

Pariah - Touching and sad coming of age/coming out film. Great performances as well. Though I have to say, I found the soundtrack a little cliche.

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:05 am 

I've watched loads of films recently but as it was Easter a lot of them were with the kids :-p

"Tintin" was average.
"Alvin and the chipmunks 3" was beyond terrible. I fell asleep in the cinema.
"Mars needs moms" was ok.

Now, grown-up films :-)

I rewatched "The Awakening" as I loved it so much, and watching it again helped me understand it better ;-)

Started "The Kings Speech" but fell asleep, although I was really enjoying it. Will try and finish it this week.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next