It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:08 am 

Pollyphoniac wrote:
I was seriously expecting a 5th Alien movie to be made, thought they wouldn't resist the temptation of continuing the series with a final showdown on Earth (after that spacecraft with the remaining Aliens on board crashed onto our planet toward the end of the 4th movie), but so far no 5th episode has ever been produced.

but it's very remarkable that, even though the 4th movie is supposed to depict events taking place two centuries after those of the 3rd episode, there doesn't seem to have been much technological development from one period to the next.

and it always surprised me that the makers of those Alien movies never saw fit to allow for some futuristic weapons development. why those people (supposedly centuries into the future) are still using heavy-duty hand-held grenade launchers and flame-throwers (practically 20th-century style). truly unbelievable.

Yeah, good point. We thought so too - it would really bring out the 'alienation' in the viewer with some creativity in terms of technology - but they might have feared losing the broader audience and therefore just focusing on the hunting/getting hunted-theme :grin:
As for a 5th: they went with all that Alien vs Predator-stuff... again more fight with minimal sci-fi :geek: :laugh:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:17 am 

^^with all these apraised releases I might just get my *(bottom)* to the nearest theatre one of these days... it's tempting :geek:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:03 pm 
:neutral:

Last edited by Lara on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:04 pm 

Lara wrote:
Paul - Fairly amusing. Some good scenes. But not a patch on Hot Fuzz

I saw Paul as well recently, and while, yes, it did have it moments, I felt that the whole

Spoiler! :
tacked on love story could have been left out. I also enjoyed the end, particularly Sigourney Weaver's part and Blythe Danner's "stay away from her you bitch!" ode to Aliens. :green:

Another Year - Superbly acted, depressing film.

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:22 am 

Pitifuljoy wrote:
Lara wrote:
Paul - Fairly amusing. Some good scenes. But not a patch on Hot Fuzz

I saw Paul as well recently, and while, yes, it did have it moments, I felt that the whole

Spoiler! :
tacked on love story could have been left out. I also enjoyed the end, particularly Sigourney Weaver's part and Blythe Danner's "stay away from her you bitch!" ode to Aliens. :green:

Hey - guess I have to see this one too :wink: :laugh:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:24 pm 

watched the social network and the kings speech; both were fine, don't really feel like seeing them again but i'm glad colin firth won the oscar and that the social network didn't get best picture. also started dogtooth but i fell asleep part of the way so i'm gonna have to start that again...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:20 pm 

Due Date. Pretty funny.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:22 am 

Into the Wild - not quite decided about it yet... but we talked a half hour afterwards...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:04 pm 

"Where the wild things are" - so brilliant. So warm and fuzzy. Left me with a huge smile on my face. <3

"Womb" with Eva Green, just after "Never Let Me Go". Both has something in common - and not just the "clone thing". They're both beautifully made, and so melancholic. But the first one is much more disturbing, no doubt about it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:29 am 

i just watched wicker park (admittedly only for diane kruger) and it was meh. soundtrack was good but the movie, just no. i need to watch the original french one, i hear it's good. also watched it's kind of a funny story, which wasn't so bad, and i rewatched inglourious basterds.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:47 pm 

Scream 4 - When will I learn?! lol. Boring, predictable, super lame ending that went on for too long. Also, Emma Roberts? Horribly miscast.

Rio - Loved the gorgeous colors they used for this film. It was gorgeous to see. The story, eh, typical crap. Had a few laughs.

Ghostbusters 2 - It was on, and watched it til PJ's Coachella set started. lol

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:33 am 

just watched the lovely bones; i feel like that's a difficult book to adapt for screen, i think they did what they could. i didn't mind the fact that a good chunk was animated, i just wish it had been better animation. i think the could've put a lot more real objects in susie's parts and still make it look heaven like. that's the only true complaint i have about the film.. i like the book better. and stanley tucci is a fucking creeper.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:47 am 

Hanna - It didn't really capture me as much as I had hoped. Then again a few of my friends raved about its awesomeness and that may have had something to do with my high expectations more than anything. It was ok....I thought Cate's southern accent was a little distracting though! :laugh:

Super - Left me with mixed feelings. At times it reminded me of "Defendor" more times than I liked. I will have to say though, the last 30 minutes were a lot more fun than the whole thing. Also, if any of you are Ellen Page fans, there's a scene when she...we'll, you'll have to see for yourself. Although it made me laugh more than anything. :laugh:

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:25 pm 

Natural Born Killers! I can't get enough of that movie.. Think I've seen it three times the past month :P

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:57 pm 

i actually really liked hanna haha enough to see it twice in theaters; i dunno, i just think that girl kicks mega ass. cate was brilliantly unnerving and her twang that'd come in every little bit was just enough to give me chills. that lady is no good. and saoirse ronan is just awesome, i can't believe she's 17.

watched bastard out of carolina; i'm in absolute love with the book. the movie was alright, i think it'd be really great if they readapted the book but the movie wasn't horrible, just could've been a little bit better.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 30  Next