It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:54 am 

Pitifuljoy wrote:
Thatwaslove wrote:
"Scott Pilgrim vs The World" - heard it was awful, really wanted to like it as I thought it would appeal to me, but it was awful :-(

I stuck with it out of a morbid curiosity but I can't tell you what happened at the end as my brain has deleted it!

Really? I thought it suffered from editing. Chop 30 minutes off and it would have been more cohesive/enjoyable but I liked it enough.

@heads_bullet - I'm looking forward to "Melancholia" since I heard about it! I cannot wait to see for myself. Lars Von whatever is always so hit/miss with me, but I do enjoy that his films are challenging to watch at times. Be it good or bad.

I really liked Scott Pilgrim.. I like that it was literally exactly like the comic book. I've only read the first but man, it was -exact-.

And I'm really looking forward to Melancholia as well!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:42 am 

'Scott Pilgrim' is destined to be a cult classic, ie it was ignored at the box office but has a hard core following of admirers.

But I really didn't like it :-(

Re Lars Von Trier, 'The idiots' was mental but not sure I'd watch it again.

I liked the TV series 'Kingdom Hospital' though. Worth checking out if you can find it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:06 pm 

Full Metal Jacket - It's been ages since I last seen it. Figured a good revisiting was in order. Great movie.

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:31 am 

Has anyone the Planet of the Apes remake, heard very good things about it but after seeing Captain America I'm a bit wary of hyped films...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:25 am 

Thatwaslove wrote:
Has anyone the Planet of the Apes remake, heard very good things about it but after seeing Captain America I'm a bit wary of hyped films...

Ahem.... ;)
Pitifuljoy wrote:
The Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Thought it was gonna be lame, surprisingly was pretty good! I was engaged throughout. Also, Freida Pinto is gorgeous. Unfairly so. My goodness.

The movie is not that long. Like I said in my review, I found it engaging. I'm also a HUGE animal lover so my opinion might be a bit biased. Though, there is a certain scene that had me cheering of how awesome it was!

Crazy Stupid Love - Yes, I like torturing myself. Emma Stone - you're everywhere! As for this movie, MEH.

The Help - Emma Stone! No but, Viola Davis' performance blew me away.

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:32 pm 

Pitifuljoy wrote:
The Help - Emma Stone! No but, Viola Davis' performance blew me away.

^^This I'd like to see!
Is being released in DK in September - read the book which is amazing!
Wauw, exciting! :shades:

Wanting to see Never Let Me Go, as well.
And the new Jane Eyre... good autumn coming up :smile:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:34 pm 

Let me know what you think of "The Help" when you see it. The way Viola emotes with those eyes. Jeesus. :'(

Two in one:

The Village of the Damned - I loved the eeriness and the unexplained reasoning as to why it happened. Those wigs though :laugh: (also, I couldn't help but think of that particular Simpsons episode lol)

Children of the Damned - Ugh, why did they bother to make this? I couldn't wait for them to just get rid of them kids. In fact, I think I even dozed off for the last 20 minutes
Spoiler! :
and woke up to see them get killed. Meh, whatever. *couldn't eject DVD fast enough*

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:07 pm 

Grave Encounters - They couldn't die fast enough for my taste. Ugh. Are there any good horror movies out there that aren't made up of just gore and cheap, predictable scare tactics?

TrollHunter - Disappointing. I was bored. The "trolls" looked kinda interesting at first, but after a while, meh.

Temporada De Patos - A funny little mexican movie revolving around 2 teenaged boys, a pizza delivery guy and their neighbor who wants to bake in their kitchen. I enjoyed it immensely.

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:10 am 

Bullitt - Steve McQueen classic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:46 am 
Site Admin

Rat Race. I was in the mood for some cheap laughs, which it still has plenty of. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:55 pm 

Attack the Block - AWESOME, AWESOME movie. I had a bit of trouble understanding some of the kids accents from time to time. I wish someone had told me about this movie earlier!

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:05 pm 

Red State - The initial build up was good, it kept my attention, but then it sorta lagged on a bit too long. I'll admit though, those "judgement day" horns or whatever they were towards the end were a nice touch!

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:14 pm 

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark - How is this movie even considered scary to anyone, ever? So those lil creatures don't do well with light. Yet in one scene, they turn the light off so they can get her or whatever and the little girl runs towards the door, where the damn light switch is and doesn't turn it on. Instead she desperately tries to open the door! Stupid child! Oy, these movies! :bang: :laugh: Watch "The Gate" instead. I mean, sure it's not scary either, but at least it's from the 80's and is sorta fun to watch the crappy claymation demons running around. Plus a young Stephen Dorff rocking that all too cool bowl haircut.

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:14 pm 
:neutral:

Last edited by Lara on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:19 pm 

The Debt- I LOVED it. So so so good, and it's made me a fan of Jessica Chastain; phenomenal actor, very realistic and I felt horrible for her at different points. I actually went and saw it again last night. And Helen Mirren is in it, so yeah, it's gonna be good.

The Tree of Life- I wanted to see this and then I just learned that Jessica Chastain is in it so then I was really like "man I have to watch this!" haha It's a gorgeous film and there's some very beautiful scenes where nothing's happening, but it's more so about being in that moment. One in particular that stood out to me:

I loved the relationship the mother had with her children; beautiful. As for the rest of the film, I won't say I dislike it cause I don't, but I don't know if I like it. I feel like I'm going to have to watch it several times before I pull my own meaning out of it and truly appreciate the entire film, not just it's aesthetic/certain parts of the film. I would recommend people to watch it though, even though I'm on the fence.

I really want to see The Help, it's getting sooo much buzz.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 30  Next