It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 1:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:31 pm 
Site Admin

Lara wrote:
Has anyone seen Black Swan?

I want to see it but the husband thinks it's just about a bunch of ballerinas (hence why we went to see The Fighter instead).

Must be a little bit deeper than that....surely!?

If he's a regular man it's very easy to convince him. Just tell him there's a lesbian sex scene.

Saw it yesterday. Amazing movie, Aronofsky signature style gold. Don't miss it.

stuntboy wrote:
Funny Games- I love this movie but it really creeps me out. Even though there are not any real violence it´s so awfully disturbing. But every time I see it it strikes me how f*cking gorgeous Michael Pitt is!

I had a really hard time to finish watching that. It's a very good movie, very reflective on the extent to which we take violence for entertainment without even thinking of how disturbing it is in reality. But very difficult to watch, one of those movies I never wanna watch again.

Find us at
Twitter
MySpace
Facebook

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:42 pm 

Location: The Black Country, England, Great Britain, UK - in that order
Pocket Knife wrote:
Lara wrote:
Has anyone seen Black Swan?

I want to see it but the husband thinks it's just about a bunch of ballerinas (hence why we went to see The Fighter instead).

Must be a little bit deeper than that....surely!?

If he's a regular man it's very easy to convince him. Just tell him there's a lesbian sex scene.
....is there? i might watch it soon :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:53 pm 

Point Blank w/Lee Marvin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:56 pm 
Site Admin

The Godfather.

It was on TV and I hadn't watched it in a long time. Great movie, but TV editing drives me crazy, esp. when I know things are missing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:27 pm 

Pocket Knife wrote:

Yeh, that will help, immensely. :-)

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:19 pm 

Black Swan is lovely.. It's so freaking weird! Wasn't what I expected at all, got so surprised by it a few minutes in when I realised it wasn't a regular drama..

Watched The Experiment a few days ago, I really enjoyed it. Made my skin crawl big time!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:01 am 

Pocket Knife wrote:
stuntboy wrote:
Funny Games- I love this movie but it really creeps me out. Even though there are not any real violence it´s so awfully disturbing. But every time I see it it strikes me how f*cking gorgeous Michael Pitt is!

I had a really hard time to finish watching that. It's a very good movie, very reflective on the extent to which we take violence for entertainment without even thinking of how disturbing it is in reality. But very difficult to watch, one of those movies I never wanna watch again.

yet I would recommend you to watch the german original, much better than the american remake.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:02 pm 
Site Admin

^I've considered doing so, but I'm not sure I'd have the balls to watch that again. I thought it was mostly a frame by frame remake, though.

Find us at
Twitter
MySpace
Facebook

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:42 pm 

Aliens (that's the second episode...) - I bought the whole set, seeing them with my 15-year-old son... We get a kick out of commenting on everything from storyline, special effect to references... and it's still a bit creepy after 30 years :laugh:

Ocean's Eleven - again, we have the set. But this is with the my wife and daughter - get's nought but a shruk from the boy :wink: - I love the music here - it goes right in your whole body.

(Cinemas? I think it's just sooooo expensive...)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:09 pm 

Fight Club - I found it a tad bit on the dull side. Then again, seeing it after having very little to no relaxation time after a very eventful weekend probably wasn't the best. I nodded off to sleep a few times, and by the end, I didn't really care what happened. Though I have to admit, the final scene was pretty damn cool.

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:43 pm 

Skladunk wrote:
Aliens (that's the second episode...) - I bought the whole set, seeing them with my 15-year-old son... We get a kick out of commenting on everything from storyline, special effect to references... and it's still a bit creepy after 30 years :laugh:

Ocean's Eleven - again, we have the set. But this is with the my wife and daughter - get's nought but a shruk from the boy :wink: - I love the music here - it goes right in your whole body.

no big need for them if you have a good home-cinema audio system (which for me feels so essential that I could no longer stand to watch movies with less than optimal sound quality - though this in no way prevents me from watching old movies with intrinsically inferior audio tracks).

by the way, I wonder which "Aliens" you're referring to.
a search by title on imdb.com renders me a list of several different series/movies called "Aliens" (and none of them 30 years old).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:51 pm 

Pocket Knife wrote:
^I've considered doing so, but I'm not sure I'd have the balls to watch that again. I thought it was mostly a frame by frame remake, though.

it is (and by the same director too), could that be the reason why I was so bored by the remake that I didn't care to continue watching it through to the end? no, but there's something else, something missing in the remake, just a certain quality that was there in the original. (I wonder if I would have felt the same way if I had watched these movies in reverse order, the remake before the original.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:04 am 

Pollyphoniac wrote:
Skladunk wrote:

no big need for them if you have a good home-cinema audio system (which for me feels so essential that I could no longer stand to watch movies with less than optimal sound quality - though this in no way prevents me from watching old movies with intrinsically inferior audio tracks).

a search by title on imdb.com renders me a list of several different series/movies called "Aliens" (and none of them 30 years old).

Sorry, I meant the "picture series" of which the first was Alien and directed by Ridley Scott in 1979 :wink: - while Aliens (1986) was directed by James Cameron. But in a broader perspective it's technically a series (including Sigourney Weaver and 'the alien' in every 'episode' :laugh:
I'm not into lenghty tv-series (save Friends (theOneAndOnlyTrulyFunnySitcom)) mainly because I find them boring (at length) and I could never see enough episodes to follow the story line (which isn't a problem in aforementioned show).
PS: we saw the fourth episode Alien Resurrection the other day - what a bummer :shocked: :laugh:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:04 pm 

Skladunk wrote:
Pollyphoniac wrote:
Skladunk wrote:

Sorry, I meant the "picture series" of which the first was Alien and directed by Ridley Scott in 1979 :wink: - while Aliens (1986) was directed by James Cameron. But in a broader perspective it's technically a series (including Sigourney Weaver and 'the alien' in every 'episode' :laugh:
I'm not into lenghty tv-series (save Friends (theOneAndOnlyTrulyFunnySitcom)) mainly because I find them boring (at length) and I could never see enough episodes to follow the story line (which isn't a problem in aforementioned show).
PS: we saw the fourth episode Alien Resurrection the other day - what a bummer :shocked: :laugh:

I was seriously expecting a 5th Alien movie to be made, thought they wouldn't resist the temptation of continuing the series with a final showdown on Earth (after that spacecraft with the remaining Aliens on board crashed onto our planet toward the end of the 4th movie), but so far no 5th episode has ever been produced.

but it's very remarkable that, even though the 4th movie is supposed to depict events taking place two centuries after those of the 3rd episode, there doesn't seem to have been much technological development from one period to the next.

and it always surprised me that the makers of those Alien movies never saw fit to allow for some futuristic weapons development. why those people (supposedly centuries into the future) are still using heavy-duty hand-held grenade launchers and flame-throwers (practically 20th-century style). truly unbelievable.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:28 pm 

True Grit in Paris last saturday Not as great as older Coen brothers movies but still okay Bridges and that girl acted brilliant!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 30  Next