It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:39 pm 

bluesman905 wrote:
The Girl From Monday

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388973/

Great story, enjoyed it alot. Hartley shot this 7 years after The Book Of Life but it has the identical look and feel. Not sure I like the jerky camcorder deal spread out over a full length movie though. I'm starting to like his work, have to check out some more. Can anyone recommend some of his other films? (other than The Amateur)

here are some of his earlier works in reverse order:
Henry Fool (1997), Simple Men (1992), Surviving Desire (1991), Trust (1990), The Unbelievable Truth (1989),

among which I personally recommend Henry Fool and Surviving Desire before the others. though it's better to watch all of them in chronological order.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:42 pm 

Pollyphoniac wrote:
among which I personally recommend Henry Fool and Surviving Desire before the others. though it's better to watch all of them in chronological order.

Thanks Pollyphoniac I think your right, best to start from the beginning.

Last edited by bluesman on Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:25 pm 

Hunger - riveting and intense, amazing work by steve mcqueen as a first time full length director

Anything for her- very tense french thriller

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:12 pm 

Paranormal Activity - I got curious(I found it online), was hungover and bored so thought I'd check to see what the big hype was about. Well, I don't get it. Not only was it not scary, but the couple was annoying beyond words. Not believable for a second that they were indeed a couple, but 'actors'. Their demise couldn't come soon enough.

I laughed at
Spoiler! :
the scene where she gets dragged by her feet. :lol: And the fact that she kept sleeping on that side of the bed!
Also the ending(the re-done ending, where she throws his corpse at the camera? :lol:

Nice try hollywood, but no dice. Great marketing though!

Where The Wild Things Are - It was a lot more gloomy and depressing than I thought it would be. I didn't like that they changed how he came to meet the "wild things" but the visuals were absolutely gorgeous and it didn't even seem like I was watching animated beings on screen. If you haven't seen it on the big screen, I'd say wait for the DVD.

The Wedding Singer What's always bothered me about this movie is the person who styled Drew Berrymore's character. Why is she the only one not adequately dressed for the time period(the 80's?) Her hair is like early to mid 90's as is her clothing! Everyone else has the big hair, mullet thing going, wtf! :lol:

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:38 pm 
Site Admin

Paranormal Activity was big at the box office over the weekend, I heard on the news. They made it sound reeeely scary, somebody said that Steven Spielberg got spooked and had to leave halfway through. Yeah right...

I haven't seen Where The Wild Things Are yet, but the monsters aren't animated, just their eyes and parts of their faces? I know they took liberties with the book, but the book is only ten sentences!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:08 pm 

i was reading a review the other day whch said how influential 'Where the Wild things are' is, and realised this completely bypassed me- so do i start with the book or the movie.....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:15 am 
Site Admin

:rofl:

I'd start with the book. It is a classic, but like I said, 10 sentences. It's a children's book, and you'll probably spend more time looking at the pictures than reading it. It's delightful. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:03 pm 

thanks Hell & High Water ! — just mentioned to someone i hadn't read it as a child- dr seuss being another omission until recently- they declared i must have been a deprived child!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:38 pm 

Hell and High Water wrote:
Paranormal Activity was big at the box office over the weekend, I heard on the news. They made it sound reeeely scary, somebody said that Steven Spielberg got spooked and had to leave halfway through. Yeah right...

I haven't seen Where The Wild Things Are yet, but the monsters aren't animated, just their eyes and parts of their faces? I know they took liberties with the book, but the book is only ten sentences!

Steven probably walked out for 'other' reasons(mostly to due with the crap he was watching ;) )

Yeah I know that the entire monsters aren't completely animated btw, but it still felt like I wasn't watching computer generated faces. It was beautiful, fluid interaction between Max and the Wild things.

I have fond memories of the book, as it was one of the first books I learned to read in english. I remember being drawn to the cover as a kid. I was both terrified and intrigued :lol:

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:33 am 
Site Admin

L.A. Story. I meant to watch this a long time ago, and thought I had. Sure, you could categorize it as Hollywood fluff, but it's also a charming and satirical look at what makes the S. Cal culture "fluff." I liked it. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:04 am 

Yesterday I came back from night movie marathon, so:

It started with "Dorothy Mills" and I'm really glad, that it was like that - because I would probably fall asleep if it was in the middle of the night. It is more like drama than thriller or horror movie. Polish title is (in translation) "Exorcism of Dorothy Mills" but it have nothing to do with "Exorcism's.." or story of Emily Rose. I was a bit disappointed about this picture to be honest. However I really like phone booth which in the movie stands alone at the top of the cliffs :D
The Haunting in Connecticut - it was pretty similar to hundreds of other "haunting-house-stories", but there was a lot of tension and "breathtaking moments" ( I mean those scenes, when something jump out at the screen with loud music in the background :D"). Picture was based on true story. I'm curious how much was taken from a real life? O_o
30 Days of Night -I was looking forward to see it since I read an article about this comics. And I'm kind of proud of myself that I stood awake for the movie (which starter at 3:25 AM) But it was to funny to be scared, I mean, I really can't be serious watching movies like "Dawn of the Dead" about group of people hiding from the monsters without any chances to live (except of "28 weeks after" which really shocked me me and left a bit perturbed after I watched it). But I really like Melissa George so it wasn't that bad. Bunch of laughter that I received from "30 days.." allowed me to watch the last one - "Knowing" and it was OK, but really didn't move me at the slightest (neither in bad nor good way).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:07 pm 

Lust Caution, visually beautiful-and great to see the wonderful tony leung playing against type

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:35 am 

This Way Up (8 min short)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urosIPyTlsM

Animation. Two funeral directors go on a hellish journey trying to bury a woman's coffin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:06 pm 

hey romario11 thanks for that link beautiful animation

synecdoche new york -charlie kauffman -what a great film , thought provoking as with most of Kauffman's work and just watched orpheus by Jean Cocteau, more interesting as a curiosity than anything else, occasionally atmospheric but just didn't believe in orpheus' and euridice's relationship- prefer Cocteau's poetry.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:03 pm 

I've found a new anime favorite.
Beautiful animation, great story, relatable characters. It's funny, touching and just an overall fun watching experience.

FaceplaceEl Jay

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 30  Next