It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:12 pm 

Man, you really feel for this guy. Mickey Rourke did an awesome job capturing someone down and out, but still trying to make something of their life.
Oh and on a more shallow note, Marisa Tomei. DAMN! :yum:

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:27 pm 

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:06 pm 

^ excellent.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:57 am 
Site Admin

I liked The Reader better.

Find us at
Twitter
MySpace
Facebook

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:12 am 

Also good; I saw them both in the same day. A lovely, yet depressing Kate Winslet filled day. Well deserved Oscar.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:57 am 

Jay & Silent Bob - i jumped when I heard This Is Love, i was not expecting it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:31 pm 

Pocket Knife wrote:
I liked The Reader better.

I had mixed feelings about The Reader. Kate does a great job(as always) but I couldn't help but feel that they excused her characters actions because she was illiterate. But at the same time, the woman wasn't blind.

This movie didn't keep my interest. I know its the kind you have to pay attention to, but not much was happening, the music was annoyingly cheesy. Not much is explained. And in between all of this a very long and erotic sex scene between the characters is shown. That's all well and good, but it was very reminiscent of Skinemax(or better known as Cinemax after dark) :lol: I give it about a 6.5/10

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:33 pm 
Site Admin

^ Keep in mind how old it is, 36 years. :shock:

I watched Juno over the weekend, it was pretty much what I expected, except that coming in with these expectations, I enjoyed more than I thought I would. It's not profound or deeply engaging, but interesting characters and a nice warm fuzzy ending. Very Indie feeling.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:49 am 

^
Yup, good ol 1973. I guess the ending was ruined for me by one of those "scariest moments in movies" tv spots they show every halloween on TV. I just didn't find it scary or thrilling. Just really really long and confusing lol.

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:44 am 
Site Admin

^ Yeah, I actually saw it for a film class, it was part of the curriculum. I think it's dated now, but it was good then. There's a lot of old films that did some really good, groundbreaking things, but years later, they've been imitated and improved on so much, that they've lost their impact, if you see what came after first.

Blade Runner added a lot of really new things to the lexicon of Sci Fi, but if you've watched all the Terminator films, the Matrix films, and who knows what else first, it won't seem like anything original at all.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:28 pm 

Hell and High Water wrote:
Blade Runner added a lot of really new things to the lexicon of Sci Fi, but if you've watched all the Terminator films, the Matrix films, and who knows what else first, it won't seem like anything original at all.

I barely saw "Blade Runner" for the first time earlier this year and I think it holds up really well with time. It must have been a pretty damn amazing movie to see during its original release. Much like Star Wars.

"Blade Runner" didn't remind me of the Terminator or Matrix films(although yes, there were little hints), but more with "Brazil." Dark, atmospheric thrillers full of nuance.

It was an ok movie, but I think this story would have worked better as documentary. I think it would have made it far more interesting.

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:05 am 
Site Admin

Pitifuljoy wrote:
I barely saw "Blade Runner" for the first time earlier this year and I think it holds up really well with time. It must have been a pretty damn amazing movie to see during its original release. Much like Star Wars.

"Blade Runner" didn't remind me of the Terminator or Matrix films(although yes, there were little hints), but more with "Brazil." Dark, atmospheric thrillers full of nuance.

I was just checking out the Wiki page for it, it's quite long.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runner

It's credited with creating neo or future noir, a particularly dark vision of the future. It was very loosely based on a novel by Phillip K. Dick, so loosely I just read, that the director didn't even read the whole book, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep." Which makes sense, the movie uses some themes, but the plot is very different.

The original release of the film had a Harrison Ford voiceover, the producers felt the film wouldn't be understood without it. Ford and Ridley Scott both hated it. Later, a director's cut version was released without the narration, and that's the version you should see.

For this weekend I have Gran Torino and Revolutionary Road, we'll see how far I get. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:15 pm 

Drag Me To Hell. SO GOOD!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:35 pm 

This boring and depressing sunday was perfect for watching Requiem for a Dream. I usually avoid watching the film because it's so distressing. It sure didn't make me feel any better, but it couldn't ruin my day either so I didn't have anything to lose. :p A great movie though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:46 pm 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0159693/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 30  Next