It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:16 pm 

alonbp wrote:
Just saw yesterday Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds, I enjoyed it incredibly. Mélanie Laurent is terribly hot. great movie.

Yes she is. I love her deep, smokey voice. That movie is pretty bad ass. I had a blast watching it.

Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist - predictable, but cute.

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:39 am 

Oxygen(Kislorod) - beautifully made collage. Which one of two appearing actors are both - narrators and characters at the same time.
Picture looks like some kind of playlist - and for one "track" there is always story about important things in our live - like love, addiction, hate, death.. It is beautiful - mostly because of it's simplicity and originality.

Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4H50PYoVXc
Official Web Site - http://kislorod-film.ru/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:00 pm 

Trick r Treat In the spirit of Halloween it was a fun watching experience. Though it was kinda like watching an elongated episode of "Tales from the Crypt Keeper."

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:54 am 

The Girl From Monday

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388973/

Great story, enjoyed it alot. Hartley shot this 7 years after The Book Of Life but it has the identical look and feel. Not sure I like the jerky camcorder deal spread out over a full length movie though. I'm starting to like his work, have to check out some more. Can anyone recommend some of his other films? (other than The Amateur)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:25 pm 

Suspiria - I know its from 1977 and the production values are bound to be crappy(bright red paint blood anyone?), but. Ok. I guess what threw me off was the god awful dubbing. I HATE DUBBING and this is the main reason why I couldn't enjoy it. The beginning was promising. The eerie music worked well too. But after a while, it's like, 'ok enough.' Don't even get me started on the ending. What kind of ending was that?

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:38 pm 

^^ i read that as surprisia so i was going to say "did ithe ending surprise-y- ya?" hardy har. bad pun.

I last watched Holy Smoke by Jane Campion. I always feel like I'm going to like her movies and then I sit through it, watch it and think "what point exactly is she trying to make?" It's like eating a candy that you think is going to taste good, it doesn't, and then later on you try it again cause you think it'll taste better this time. It never does.

And Wednesday, I saw a band called Califone and they played a live soundtrack to a movie they made called "All My Friends Are Funeral Singers." Interesting, definitely liked it better than Holy Smoke.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:23 pm 

CLBella wrote:
let the right one in- has really stayed with me

Great film. The author of the book, John Ajvide Lindqvist, is a Morrissey fan and he chose the title thanks to a Morrissey song, 'Let The Right One Slip In'. I only found that out this week, thanks to the wonderful and highly recommended 'Mozipedia: The Encyclopaedia of Morrissey and The Smiths' by Simon Goddard.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:48 pm 

Pitifuljoy wrote:
I HATE DUBBING and this is the main reason why I couldn't enjoy it.

I LOVE YOU for that! :mwah:

(as you may easily understand, I have strong feelings on this topic. :wink: )

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:24 am 

Pitifuljoy wrote:
Suspiria - I know its from 1977 and the production values are bound to be crappy(bright red paint blood anyone?), but. Ok. I guess what threw me off was the god awful dubbing. I HATE DUBBING and this is the main reason why I couldn't enjoy it. The beginning was promising. The eerie music worked well too. But after a while, it's like, 'ok enough.' Don't even get me started on the ending. What kind of ending was that?

So it didn't turn you into a fan of Giallo flicks and you won't be lining up for Inferno next I take it :laugh: It's an aquired taste and all the things you didn't like (with the exception of the english track) are the things that fans of these films love. What you see and hear depends on which release they sent you (Anchor Bay, Blue Underground or CDE). Italian with english subs will get you around the dubbing but can't fix everything else you didn't like. Goblin did a cool soundtrack and even that changes depending on the version you watch, the original mix has never appeared on any dvd. I had a list of 50-100 titles to pass along once you were hooked, guess I'll put that away eh... :grin:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:34 pm 

Just finished watching Woody Allen's Whatever Works. I love Woody to death, I think Larry David is brilliant and actually he did a very good job in this. He can act. I don't get the reviews, sure, it isn't Crimes and Misdemeanors, it's not even Vicky Cristina Barcelona, but it's lovely and funny and it conveys a really comforting idea. go Woody.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:54 am 

Robert de Niro's-This Boy Life

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:10 pm 

^
I love that movie. Robert DeNiro's character is terrifying.

Pollyphoniac wrote:
Pitifuljoy wrote:
I HATE DUBBING and this is the main reason why I couldn't enjoy it.

I LOVE YOU for that! :mwah:

(as you may easily understand, I have strong feelings on this topic. :wink: )

And with good reason. It's god awful, distracting and I feel, takes away from the movie.

bluesman905 wrote:
Pitifuljoy wrote:

So it didn't turn you into a fan of Giallo flicks and you won't be lining up for Inferno next I take it :laugh: It's an aquired taste and all the things you didn't like (with the exception of the english track) are the things that fans of these films love. What you see and hear depends on which release they sent you (Anchor Bay, Blue Underground or CDE). Italian with english subs will get you around the dubbing but can't fix everything else you didn't like. Goblin did a cool soundtrack and even that changes depending on the version you watch, the original mix has never appeared on any dvd. I had a list of 50-100 titles to pass along once you were hooked, guess I'll put that away eh... :grin:

Haha, pass on! I'm game to check em out anyway. It's just that, when it comes to Horror movies, I'm a bit of a snob. I want to be scared damn it. Not roll my eyes at everything. See what I mean? ;) I like subtlety. Suspiria was good at the beginning. I especially loved the scene in the apartment when the, whatever that thing was, attacked the girl on the window. That did freak me out which is why I thought the movie had promise. And at that point, I could excuse the cheap-o looking blood and bad edit cuts ;)

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:22 pm 

The Jane Austen Book Club - I was in the mood for some light hearted fun. Oh boy, I was not prepared for CHEESE though. It had its moments, but it felt like I was watching a 3 hour movie. Did Lifetime produce this? Gotta stop torturing myself. :lol:

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:54 am 

Paranormal Activity-- I don't understand why or how people are calling this a good movie. It was TERRIBLE. pretty much nothing happens in the movie; it's extremely predictable. I only jumped 2 twice and I knew it was going to happen, it was just that startled reaction. Other than those 2 jumps, literally nothing happens in the movie. Extremely boring and everyone else in the theatre was just like "uh...that's it?" And the ending.. what shit. It just stops. Literally, just stops. I want my 7 dollars back.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:47 pm 

have just watched Pool of London, filmed in the 50's i think, B&W, set in London- apart from the wierd way people talked back then- al RP - received pronunciation- it seems almost contempoary, and worth watching for the scenes of London. The Pool of London is no more, i believe, i think its become Canary wharf etc.
Also watched Frozen River, State of Play and Coroline- of those I'd watch Coroline again, love the animation...and the look

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 30  Next