It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: TV Series
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:18 pm 

Anyone here watching Downton Abbey? I noticed a while ago it was streaming on Netflix and decided to check it out. I wasn't expecting it to be sooooo good. OMG. Old school wit is awesome. Plus Maggie Smith. :love: "What is a weekend?" :laugh: I'm hooked. I love period dramas. (it is nicely filling that huge empty void Mad Men left behind) :green:

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:44 pm 
Site Admin

We're still watching Mad Men, we're so faaaar behind. :(

A very PC friend ours watched MM and thought it was awful. How can people act like that? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:47 pm 

I like Downton Abbey a lot!
Waiting for season 2 this fall... (we're almost half British whilst meandering through countryside and historic fact.... :laugh: )
... and waiting and waiting and wait.....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:12 pm 

I've been meaning to watch it, I heard it was good. I also need to watch Mad Men (which I heard was canceled but I don't know if that's true?) but right now I'm finishing up the latest season of Weeds (meh, it's ok) and Misfits.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:10 pm 

Hell and High Water wrote:

A very PC friend ours watched MM and thought it was awful. How can people act like that? :lol:

You have almost a whole year to catch up! So bummed that they are making us wait that long.

Why did your friend think it was awful? In what world could it possibly be awful? The writing, the acting, the art direction, the fashion, CHRISTINA HENDRICKS. I could go on, but I will stop there.

@Yarn - Nah, it wasn't canceled. Due to some fucked up ness between the creator of the show and the network, production was stalled and as a result, the show wont be back until next summer.
I agree about Weeds. It went downhill so fast. I've lost interest because of this season.

@Skladunk - Season 2 started this past Sunday. Thanks to the ever amazing internet and live streams, I was able to watch it! Sooo many things happen in one episode. I wouldn't be able to wait til January, when they start airing the show here. :laugh:

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

Pitifuljoy wrote:

Why did your friend think it was awful? In what world could it possibly be awful? The writing, the acting, the art direction, the fashion, CHRISTINA HENDRICKS. I could go on, but I will stop there.

No, that's what was funny, it wasn't the acting, direction or even the quality of the writing, it was the material. The sexism, the lack of social consciousness and especially... THE DRINKING. Since she doesn't drink. She thought it was all pure fiction and we're like, "uh, nooo..." The fact that it's pretty true to the period is one of the things that makes it so interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:00 pm 

Pitifuljoy wrote:

No, that's what was funny, it wasn't the acting, direction or even the quality of the writing, it was the material. The sexism, the lack of social consciousness and especially... THE DRINKING. Since she doesn't drink. She thought it was all pure fiction and we're like, "uh, nooo..." The fact that it's pretty true to the period is one of the things that makes it so interesting.

So she doesn't like the very point of the show? Someone can not drink and not be offended by drinking in a show.

@PJ I love all those reasons... those are all the exact reasons I want to watch it, plus more.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:48 pm 

That IS funny. Does she not realize this show takes place before there was much social consciousness and when sexism was rampant and the norm? Aka the late 50's, early to mid 60's? :laugh: True to the period is right. I take it she's not much of a history fan? ;)

They do make the drinking and smoking look attractive, don't they? I swear I crave a drink while watching the show.

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

^ She should know, but I think she's forgotten. ;)
Really, if that's what she's worried about, she should be grateful for how far we've come.

The drinking and yes even the smoking does look attractive, but man! Can they put it away! I'd be passed out at my desk by noon every day. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:52 am 

Pitifuljoy wrote:
@Skladunk - Season 2 started this past Sunday. Thanks to the ever amazing internet and live streams, I was able to watch it! Sooo many things happen in one episode. I wouldn't be able to wait til January, when they start airing the show here. :laugh:

hey, where's that?! :eek: what?how?... :eek:
Tell me more :exclaim: :laugh:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:14 pm 

Skladunk wrote:
Pitifuljoy wrote:

hey, where's that?! :eek: what?how?... :eek:
Tell me more :exclaim: :laugh:

Haha, I'll send you some links! :green:

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:29 pm 

^ She should know, but I think she's forgotten. ;)
Really, if that's what she's worried about, she should be grateful for how far we've come.

The drinking and yes even the smoking does look attractive, but man! Can they put it away! I'd be passed out at my desk by noon every day. :lol:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Right? One of my friends suggested a drinking game while watching. Every time anyone drinks, we take a shot. I kindly declined, as I had to drive home! :laugh: I need to rewatch the last season. I've already forgotten most of it. But not the good parts. :wink:

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:41 pm 

Because you guys have been talking Mad Men so much and my one roommate who won't stop talking about it I've decided to dive in a bit early... I was going to wait but whatever. Started yesterday afternoon and I'm on episode 5 of the first season now. That's kind of a lot seeing how I do (somehow) have a life too in there somewhere.

I also found this pretty funny about January Jones: http://satanuaryjones.livejournal.com/745.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:12 pm 
Site Admin

Are you drinking a shot every time somebody drinks on screen? I'm guessing you're not, or you wouldn't be able to put together a sentence!

I don't know why people dislike January Jones so much, but I've only seen in MM. I gather the show demonstrates her full range as an actress. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:10 pm 

I haven't been, but maybe I should start. I'll drink an old fashioned for each episode in addition to every shot. Imma die.

I like January Jones thus far; I mean, yeah, she's pretty limited but the character is suppose to be pretty restricted emotionally I feel, but I did see a movie she was in (Unknown) and she seemed to have flat affect in that as well, but then again it was the character, she wasn't really suppose to emote. Maybe she's getting typecast as an emotionless woman?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next