It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:08 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Joanna Newsom
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:11 am 

Pitifuljoy wrote:
I heard it's pretty common at this point, for her to take that long to tune her harp. What I don't understand is why she doesn't do it before hand? Does it have to be in the moment?

another question is: why do her onstage tuning act in full view of the audience? why not have a curtain in front?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:19 am 

Hell and High Water wrote:
Pitifuljoy wrote:
^
That's really interesting. I wonder how artist like (ugh, Tori Amos) does it since she tours around with a piano herself. She doesn't, as far as I know, take up that much time tuning it. *shrug*

This is why many artists opt for electronic pianos instead of real acoustics. They're big, heavy and must be retuned every time they are moved. House pianos are unpredictable. Are you suuuuure Tori Amos lugs an acoustic around on tour?

Tori's Bösendorfer is surely big and heavy enough to require several full-bodied crew members to lift it. I can't imagine Tori doing that herself. :laugh:

I've never seen Tori tune the piano, and I don't know if she does anything like that during soundcheck.
but the final onstage tuning before each show is usually done by Marcel van Limbaek, Tori's onstage sound technician (and co-owner of Martian Engineering).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

Bösendorfers are famous for having models with extra keys, in order to play a single piece by Beethoven I believe. So it's even less likely that she would lug one around, it's probably rented and tuned in each city that she plays one. I wouldn't think they would always be available though, does she always have one?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:34 pm 

Tori does actually haul her own around. At least from my understanding.

Pollyphoniac - haha, I know Tori herself doesn't go about tuning it personally. Haha. Imagine her doing so with her glittery jumpsuits and orange wig. :laugh:

I think I read on UNforumzed that Joanna DOES actually rent one in each town she visits? So I guess that would explain the need to tune her harp each time....

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:52 pm 
Site Admin

If I remember correctly Tori has a Bosey in Europe and another one in the US, which she carries around (not by herself!!!). She doesn't tour any other continents anyway, except for Oz but she could rent one there or even ship it since it's only once every few years.

I don't see the big deal about Joanna tunning onstage. Why should anyone care about what they saw or heard before the concert? Unless of course she's delaying the event, then she should certainly do it beforehand. Or maybe she thinks it's part of the performance? ;)

Find us at
Twitter
MySpace
Facebook

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:20 pm 

Pocket Knife wrote:
If I remember correctly Tori has a Bosey in Europe and another one in the US, which she carries around (not by herself!!!). She doesn't tour any other continents anyway, except for Oz but she could rent one there or even ship it since it's only once every few years.

I don't see the big deal about Joanna tunning onstage. Why should anyone care about what they saw or heard before the concert? Unless of course she's delaying the event, then she should certainly do it beforehand. Or maybe she thinks it's part of the performance? ;)

In my case, it was delayed. The opening act (Fleet Foxes dude) finished up about 10 til 8 and she didn't come out to play until about 10:30.
She finished tuning around 8:45ish and disappeared and came back onstage w/ band around 10:30.

That is a long time to sit after already having set through a) for the doors to open prior to the show and b) during an hour-long tuning session!

I think what turned me off was the tour manager dude coming out to explain her need to tune and to please refrain from talking to her or taking pictures. Joanna came out and tuned and did not acknowledge the crowd whatsoever, not even a hello or anything. It was just odd. Perhaps a bit diva.