It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Is vinyl the new black?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:55 pm 

Not quite yet.

Was just reading about a local band and the following article was a side-bar. Thought it was interesting.

Catl’s new album, With The Lord For Cowards You Will Find No Place (Folk Brand), is their second released primarily on vinyl (with a CD included for easy digital transfer). It’s also their first recording pressed in Canada, at new Quebec plant Rip-V.

For the last few years, there were no facilities here to make new vinyl, but some ink’s been spilled on the subject of a possible vinyl revival. Is the nostalgia-drenched medium really on the comeback trail?

The answer is yes and no.

Vinyl sales are definitely up (up 37 per cent in Canada last year), while CD sales continue their downward spiral (down more than 20 per cent over the same period). Back in the 90s, DJ culture kept the medium alive, but now rock bands have found that there’s a market for limited-edition collectors’ items.

The major labels have latched onto this idea as well, which means the names at the top of the vinyl charts look pretty similar to those on the top-selling CDs.

Before you get too excited, remember that vinyl accounts for only about 1 per cent of all music sold, so even with soaring numbers the totals are very low. No matter how much the medium grows, it will never again become the dominant format for music, nor will it save the ailing recording industry.

Discs are definitely not the only game in town; digital downloads are kicking everyone’s ass. Despite all the fuss about the allure of nostalgia and the aura of authenticity that surrounds spinning black plastic, the vast majority of people are quite content that their music is no longer tied to a physical object.

We give the vinyl something, though: it will outlast CDs, which is pretty impressive for a format that was supposed to have died off decades ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:39 am 

love me some vinyl.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:10 pm 

I don't know if ebay is much of a guide, but the trend I seem to be seeing is that there are two separate markets for vinyl.

There is all the cheap crap vinyl that no-one wants - you can pick up cheap discs to try out old music, but really why wouldn't you just download it?
and then there is an increasingly expensive market for the good/rare stuff.

There are whole tranches of vinyl music which are entering the 'collector zone' by which I mean the mint condition copies are so expensive you would be mad to actually play them.

Its like people who buy first edition books and store them in an air conditioned vault without ever reading them. Once things reach that level its rather missing the whole point.

This is why I think vinyl re-issues are a good thing, it makes vinyl affordable again - even if the record companies do over-charge compared to CDs.

If only I could go back in time and buy bucket loads of PJ vinyl.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:45 pm 

For Hardcore note listeners vinyl is the way to go.

Some musical perfectionists with inform you that vinyl sound quality is better than CD if you have the right equipment. (player, speakers etc.)

To put it simply when data is placed onto a CD the data is placed onto the CD in miniscule data segments. This data segment gives you small gaps in between, thus in theory, breaking up the song. These breaks are inaudible, but are said to disrupt the flow of the music.

Vinyl however has NO segments, the music on it is a 100% continuous flow. So some listeners would argue which one is really the better medium.

In my opinion Vinyl is better, if you take care of your LP's and equipment, for three reasons:

1.Mentioned Above
2.I have vinyl from as far back as the 1940's and it plays like new, I doubt CD's will stand the test of time like that.
3.Bigger pictures and posters

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:18 pm 

regarding vinyl records, one drawback is that of having to flip sides more frequently, which interrupts the listening experience. (so this could be described as the "flip side" of vinyl.)

music in data format makes it possible to play continuously for longer periods (and when playing data files stored on a computer's hard-drive these periods can last for hours) and this is particularly important when listening to live recordings from concerts.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:04 pm 

I've been buying vinyl for about ten years and only two years exclusively. I don't know how to explain it without seeming like "one of those vinyl people" but it sounds different to me, clearer, more space, nothing feels "compressed" and strained. A great example of how vinyl is a superior listening experience would be PJ Harvey's song "Sweeter than Anything" on the A Perfect Day Elise 7", yes it's beautiful as an MP3 or on CD, but on the vinyl - the background noises and vocals are just so much more vivid and out of reach. They seem to uncurl out "longer" or farther away. It's just absolutely beautiful and adds so much to the emotional element of the song. With "Rid Of Me" (the song) - there's just something so much more immediate about it on vinyl. It's so much clearer, like you can hear every itch and pulse and squeak and everything. I feel like a sleazy alley cat dragging my loins across the concrete during the "lick my legs" part. To be fair, I had the CD for 100 years before I ever had it on vinyl and I never felt like I missed anything - until I heard it on vinyl, of course!!!

However, I do believe everyone's ears are different and some people don't seem to notice as much or as clearly. Or are indifferent to what system they listen to it from. And that's okay, too. Me I went vinyl and haven't looked back. If the artist doesn't release it on vinyl, I don't consider it interesting enough to seek out in another format. I only wish some releases weren't as expensive. I had to pay $45 for a copy of 4-Track Demos. I've discovered one of the most economic way of purchasing vinyl records were at that artists live show. I've saved ridiculously in this regard. An example, I saw a band called Vivian Girls and they were selling their vinyl for $5. I also got Sufjan Stevens' vinyl for $10 at his show. I already had Have One on Me but Joanna Newsom was selling the box-set triple LP for $20 at the show and giving away free posters with purchase. Some stores, especially indie record stores are absolutely ludicrous about their pricing. I saw a vinyl for Hail to the Thief at one the other day and it was about $35. Wtf. I try to avoid eBay vinyl stores for this reason - but sometimes you have to turn to these bastards for long OOP things. Hopefully there is a vinyl resurge and the artists put them up for sale on their sites. I'd love to pay under $100 for a copy of Dry.

Who here recalls trading PJ Harvey rarities through classifieds in music magazines in the 90's? Haha. So many people (myself included) spent so much time sending dubbed audio and video cassette tapes to one another and now all this stuff is readily available!

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:04 am 

DeBarra wrote:
I don't know how to explain it without seeming like "one of those vinyl people"

Hey...what's wrong with "those vinyl people" :wink:

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:03 am 

bluesman905 wrote:
DeBarra wrote:

:mean:

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:09 am 

DeBarra wrote:

What record is that?? *____* :shocked:

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:15 am 

AvrKadavr wrote:
DeBarra wrote:

What record is that?? *____* :shocked:

I'm terrified that you don't know. Bad Polly fan! :wink:

It's only my favorite PJ record: Rid of Me!

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:28 am 

DeBarra wrote:
I'm terrified that you don't know. Bad Polly fan! :wink:

It's only my favorite PJ record: Rid of Me!

Shame on meh :blush: :shocked: I'll stay in the corner for a while xDD had no idea that ROM has such terrific back cover *.* I'll get it one day ^^"

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:25 am 

I agree that ROM should be heard on vinyl to really feel it. Dry & 4-Track Demos as well. Some recordings just drip analog and don't translate well to digital IMO. And yes I'm one of those folks that's always banging on about LP's but I can't help it...... really :grin:

I traded my Peterson Strobe Tuner for a restored Akai GX-4000D recently. The first thing I did was record my 4TD album onto a fresh reel. Now I can listen to 4-Track on my 4-track :laugh:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:16 pm 

DeBarra wrote:
bluesman905 wrote:
DeBarra wrote:

:mean:

You have it on vinyl! The way Steve Albini would want it to be heard. I only have the CD, which is way too quiet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:51 pm 

By the way DeBarra, that's a very cool pic!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:09 am 

Pollyphoniac wrote:

music in data format makes it possible to play continuously for longer periods and this is particularly important when listening to live recordings from concerts.

I agree